A World History timeline according to Maiden

The remark seems valid, but I'm waiting till I hold the official lyrics in my hands before making any further substantial additions. The two mentioned ones jumped in my face so immediately that I had to add them, though.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your placing of 'The Pilgrim' around the time of the Crusades, Per.  To me, this song doesn't speak of any historical Pilgrimage.  In the DVD, Steve says this himself.  He does say, however, that what he had in mind most when writing that song was the voyage of the 'Mayflower'.  In particular, the line Pilgrim sunrise, pagan sunset would suggest a journey into the west, where it was 'pagan'.  On the other hand, the line holy battles take their toll could be offered as indication that the song is referencing the Crusades, so I would suggest placing the Pilgrim under both events, with a little side-note explaining the ambiguity of the song.  Unless you have firm beliefs that The Pilgrim is about the Crusades, of course.

"The Pilgrim" has an obvious oriental vibe to me, which reminded me a lot of "The Nomad". I also seem to remember reading somewhere that somebody from the band said it was about the Crusades.

Steve does say that it's based on the Mayflower. Didn't you watch the youtube link that was posted a short while ago? He also mentions that it could be any other era too, though.

Maverick said:
Steve does say that it's based on the Mayflower. Didn't you watch the youtube link that was posted a short while ago? He also mentions that it could be any other era too, though.

Yes, but given the ability of members of this forum (myself included) to try and find concrete historical references in every song that has the slightest chance of being historical, it would be better to keep The Pilgrim on the list, at least...although, on second thought, given the argument No More Lies spawned, it might be best to just leave well enough alone...:p

Maverick said:
Didn't you watch the youtube link that was posted a short while ago?

Nope.
OK, I'll remove that reference. And maybe include it as 'Mayflower' later on.

1797 : Rime Of The Ancient Mariner written
1967 : The Prisoner airs (The Prisoner, Back In The Village)

Maybe? Or am I missing the point of historicalness not being based upon entertainment media?

PolarisSLBM said:
1797 : Rime Of The Ancient Mariner written
1967 : The Prisoner airs (The Prisoner, Back In The Village)

Maybe? Or am I missing the point of historicalness not being based upon entertainment media?

They're not exactly 'World History'.  If they had written a song about the Qur'an, perhap the year of its first publication could be included, but this thread is really only for major historical events, as told by the prophet of H, Steve Harris. (Oooh, I'm going to get some flaming for that one!)

Back