Thanks. It was fun to write. And I am enjoying this thread very much as well.

In answer to your question, I'd have to say Maiden, Rush and Priest.
Lizzy and BOC are on the next tier with Dio, an Aussie band called The Angels (also known as Angel City) and Canadian band called the Tragically Hip.
Looking at all these bands, how many albums would not be by Maiden, if you look at your ten favourite ones? And which non-Maiden bands would be featured in this top 10?

Looking at all these bands, how many albums would not be by Maiden, if you look at your ten favourite ones? And which non-Maiden bands would be featured in this top 10?

So essentially my top 10, with and without Maiden?
Have to give it some thought.

@mckindog No I mean:

1. Pick your favourite 10 albums of all bands taken together. I assume this would be a group containing several Maiden albums and several non Maiden albums.
2. How many non-Maiden albums are in this group (from point 1)?
3. By which bands are these albums (from point 2)?
4 (bonus): Which are these highly cherished non-Maiden albums?

But yes you may also give a top 10 with and without Maiden, but I am especially trying to find out how high the highest valued records rank when compared with Maiden's best. Mixing it all together would give the best picture of your love for all these bands or better: albums by all these bands.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this. Real bands always pushed hard and worked hard mostly self financed, until they made it big.
Napster crushed generics only. If even that. When Napster topic comes on, I always ask; give me a band, that had a viable chances of making it (not big, just making it to major label lets say), but got dragged down due to piracy.

There is no such thing. Until you're big nobody cares about you. If you think those few thousand copies, that you can really only sell in your dreams, would earn you $ you're dead wrong. It's better to have exposure, even as an established band, than to hunt down every $0.0003 piece of royalty that 'belongs' to you (that's even debatable).

Bands never relied on record labels only for selling records, but also for promoting their artists. Somebody needs to have heard of a band for them to get anywhere.

Yes, definitely. But as communications evolve so must promotion as a thing, discipline, whatever its classification; it's a thing built on top of communications itself, not vice versa. I just feel like they want their 'industry' to stay forever in the golden age, which is absurd. Imagine if horse carriage industry created laws that dictated automobile must behave similar to a horse. What would happen with evolution of road transport in 20th century?

Due to digital stuff, and like cars, music 'evolved' to a level where its a lot easier and cheaper to deal with music. Because you, as an aspiring musician, can look for inspiration in 95% of all relevant music recorded in last 100 years, just stream it from the net, 95% of times essentially free. And you can pick an instrument, any look up any lesson, on any level, instantly. And also, if you invest couple of thousand bucks into a home studio you can get some impressive results if you know a thing or two about sound engineering. Maiden paid 1100 inflation adapted pounds for couple of hours on New Year's eve 1978 in a shitty studio; for that kind of money, in London today, you get a well equipped studio with well trained staff + producer leased for 2 days. So for the money they paid for demo, they could've recorded a full album with far better quality.

With that last sentence in mind, if the likes of Scott Ian and Gene Simmons had to pay their own day job money to get the first recordings, then they could be relevant for an opinion - you make a band with mates, fuck around, get noted by industry, because after all, industry is hunting for the likes of you, some other bands made the hard grind from underground to popularize the genre and make the industry see $$$ in it, and then you get your contract and become a rock star. And all these American pop/r&b stars that were somehow involved with mainstream since they were pre-teen girls. It looks to me that artists that had the easiest climbs are on the forefront of this anti-internet music thing, while those that did it hard way appreciate the net effect of everything, how much easier and more accessible everything became today.

/offtopic

It's less funny to see how many of you who started in the eighties turned their backs on Maiden in the nineties. Welcome home, disloyal crooks!
I didn't give up on them. Musical taste go all over the place. I recall getting into power and death metal during the 1990's. I couldn't get into grunge

@Somewhereonline, because no trend lasts forever. Let me not go here into mathematical portion and how sounds that we perceive as 'music to our ears' come from a limited set, and thus aren't indefinite, just look at how much constraint rock has in the ways it needs to be played, for something the be classified as rock music. You cannot innovate forever under such conditions.
On the artistic side of music, you can as well argue that other genres describe the world and the feelings of audiences better, at the moment, than rock. There were also booms of other types of music since the 'glory days of rock', electronic music, hip hop, I guess kids have a lot more choice of what to get in to these days.

My Chronology:

2005 - 2008: I was a huge Michael Jackson fan, I had all the albums, actually I still have them. Apart from MJ, I listened to Evanescence, Linkin Park, Silverchair, Green Day, Nirvana. There was a TV channel here that would play videos from these bands all the time, that's why I got into them.

2009 - 2010: My musical taste started to lean more towards Hard Rock. Slash did some colaborations with Michael Jackson, I really liked his style and found out he was from Guns n Roses. I decided to listen to them and they became my favourite band, which led me to listen to Skid Row, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Motorhead.

2011 - 2012: I began to think that Heavy Metal was way more interesting than Hard Rock. I started to listen to Ozzy Osbourne, found out he was from Black Sabbath and they took Guns n Roses place as my favourite band. Apart from them, I got into Angra and Judas Priest.

2013: I was watching TV and there was a channel airing the Metal Evolution documentary. It was on episode three and I began to watch because of Black Sabbath, but then the documentary's intro music started playing and I had an "Oh My God!" moment. I think at that moment I had listened to Maiden only once on some random internet playlist, but I knew the documentary's intro was Maiden because of the guitars. I began to search them on the internet, and that's when my Maiden addiction started. It became my favourite band and it hasn't changed since.

2014- since: I started to delve more and more into all Heavy Metal sub-genres, mostly Thrash and Death Metal.

Pre-Maiden (up to 2000) - pretty much whatever was on the radio, started to buy singles in 95-96 I think, then onto albums shortly after. Green day, the offspring, Guns' roses, Mötley crue and Metallica became early favorites.

Early 2000-2002
A dude introduce me to Stratovarius, and my life is changed forever. I become a metal fan, and especially power metal. Other than Stratovarius; Nightwish, Sonata arctica, Children of bodom, Rhapsody, Gamma ray, Hammerfall, all of them becomes favorites. All my pocket money is spent on CD's. I try out internet for the first time, I discover Napster and download some songs of many future favorites: Maiden, Megadeth etc. I have an Metallica phase (who hasn't), and I also listen alot to Pantera and Dream theater.

2002-2005
I buy more and more music, starting to buy some extreme metal (Satyricon, Immortal, Dimmu borgir, Susperia, Old man's child, Borknagar, Einherjer and many more), and also this British heavy metal band Iron maiden comes full to my life mid 2003, after buying and listening a bit to Brave new world first, and the Rock in Rio. By 2004, I start to check out older extreme metal bands, ending up becoming a massive fan of Bathory, Celtic frost, Sodom, Voivod and many more.

2006-2009
Became tired of metal, so hello 60's and 70's! Now I started to dig deeper through the music history, and bought back catalogues of many bands; Jethro tull, Pink floyd, King crimson, The beatles, the who, Black sabbath. Also had a grunge binge and rediscovered GNR since Chinese democracy was supposed to come out "soon". Listened to lots of alternative rock, Porcupine tree and some other crap. But as always, still bought new releases of Maiden, Megadeth and Metallica.

2009->
Late 2009 I just gave some of my old rhapsody and Stratovarius albums a shot, and I finally came home to power metal. Stratovarius had just made a comeback album (Polaris) and Rhapsody of fire announced they were coming back with a new album 18th of November that year. I finally got the first Helloween albums, Nightwish - Dark passion play, became a huge fan of Edguy and Avantasia (after making fun of them for years) and some Blind guardian. I've got married and have got two small kids since 2013, so I really have no time to listen to music now, compared to back then.

I'm still very much into power metal, but Iron maiden certainly have a place as my favorite band to this day. Their music have helped me throught everything in life

1979- 1983: Yes, Pink Floyd, Asia, Genesis, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Queen, Boston, and anything that was on the radio
1983-1987: Ratt, Twisted Sister (I used to sing "We're Not Gonna Take It" when I was five), Van Halen, and the above mentioned
1987-1993: B-52s, Steve Winwood, Traffic, REM, classical music, the above mentioned. and later Led Zepplin and Nirvana
1993-1995: Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Slayer, Dio, Metallica, Megadeth, and some Iron Maiden
1996-1997: Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson, Bob Marley, and anything and everything metal and a handful of the former music
1998-present: All of the above but also hip hop and reggae but I'm not into many new bands on the radio
As for what I listen to on a daily basis, it depends on the mood sometimes

Last edited:
Back