Part I: The pre-Maiden years.

1. Start: Late seventies/early eighties: pop music via Toppop (Dutch version of Top of the Pops). LP's from parents. I probably heard some Stones and some other seventies artists my parents were into (e.g. I remember a Crosby Stills, Nash & Young LP) but at the time I wasn't busy with who they were.

2. 1983: Michael Jackson (Beat It!) Around this time I seriously got into artists. Michael Jackson must have been the first, when I recorded this hard rock song from the radio.

3. 1983-1989: All kinds of pop music. Names that struck big chords: Michael Jackson (via TV, and I remember the LP Bad was bought) / The Jacksons&The Jackson Five (I remember one of my aunts lend us some records) / Dire Straits (most notably the Mandela tribute concert) / Queen (all the hits, especially I Want it All which I bought). I also bought an album by rapper Tone Loc (I thought his single Wild Thing was cool). By this time I'm sure I must have seen the Can I Play With Madness video but it didn't urge me explore further.

4. 1990: While the interest for pop music still continued (e.g. I got into some Eurodance artists), I also bought the AC/DC single Moneytalks and recorded Maiden's Holy Smoke from the radio. Also, I vividly remember seeing Bruce Dickinson's Tattooed Millionaire video clip. Around this time, maybe already in 1989, I got very much into Bon Jovi. Especially the albums Slippery When Wet (with my all time favourite song of theirs, You Give Love a Bad Name, which I even performed at a playback show at the local scouts club), New Jersey and their debut album (with the excellent Shot Through the Heart). Bon Jovi was probably the first hard rock artist I wanted to hear albums from. I didn't buy these, but had them borrowed from the library and put them on cassette. Still, the first hard rock album I bought was Appetite for Destruction by GNR.

Last edited:
Cool thread.
  • Mid-2000s: The first genre I got into was R&B. Around 2006 Usher was my first favorite artist, and two singles from his album Confessions, "Caught Up" and "Yeah!", were the first songs I actively tried to find on the internet. In 2007 I was listening to some terrible Turkish all girl R&B group because I thought the girls were cute. -I even went to a gig of theirs :p- Later that year I was listening to artists like Rihanna, Ne-Yo and other R&B artists of the like.
  • Late 2007 & 2008: This is the period where I really got into music. Kanye West was my favorite artist for late 2007 and early 2008, I was really into his album 808s & Heartbreak. In 2008 I discovered Linkin Park who became the first band I was obsessed with. I spent pretty much the rest of 2008 listening to Linkin Park.
  • 2009 & 2010: This year also started with LP who had brokered me into heavier side of music. I started to research metal bands online midway through 2009. By virtue of writing Iron Maiden on YouTube's search bar, I found the Rock in Rio version of Fear of the Dark, which got me hooked straight away. I had my initial tastes from some other huge names in metal but Maiden was the one that stuck with me at that point. I spent pretty much the entirety of 2010 obsessively listening to Maiden all day and researching. It was the June of that year when I joined Maidenfans.
  • 2010 to 2013: This period doesn't have milestones, but it was the period of discovery for me. I discovered most of classic metal bands' discographies in 2011 and 2012 and got through the inevitable "Hard rock/metal rocks, everything else sucks" phase that comes with being a teen-aged metalhead. Then I really got into progressive rock. Prog rock eventually replaced heavy metal as my favorite genre of music; in 2013 IIRC. I took an interest in more complex music at this time, basic sounding music just wasn't clicking with me. My favorite metal bands aside from Maiden in this era were Opeth and Dream Theater, and I had become a big fan of King Crimson and Pink Floyd. And I got really into jazz fusion. As a former hater of growls, Opeth opened up the path for me to enjoy growling and get into death metal as well.
  • 2013 to 2015: With the expanded horizons prog gave me, I broke out of my rock/metal shell and discovered a wide range of genres during this period. My preference with simplicity/complexity flipped over, I started to really enjoy simpler works. Aside from indie rock, jazz, folk, blues stuff, 80s pop was an eye opener for me. I absolutely loved the synthpop sound. I found out some cool electronic stuff. Then I started to open up to hiphop. In May 2014 I became absolutely obsessed with Britney Spears, which basically got me out of a near depression, and that lasted all the way until early 2015.
  • 2015-since: In this period I haven't really had any huge discoveries, but I've been polishing up my grasp on classic jazz records for a while.
Side note that shouldn't go without saying, I picked up a classical guitar in 2009 upon hearing Maiden and started playing bass one year later. I started playing an electric guitar very soon after the bass but I still consider the bass my main instrument. I also play a traditional Turkish instrument called bağlama, which I took an interest in around 2013 after listening to a lot of Turkish folk music at that time. Being familiar with what goes into music playing has certainly had an influence on my musical tastes over time. Don't think it was random that the time I started -trying- to write songs coincided with the time I started to enjoy simpler music.

Last edited:
It literally started with Maiden for me. My dad got me into them at a very young age and I've been a fan ever since. Before Maiden I was aware of Kiss but hadn't actually listened to them yet. But early on it was mainly Iron Maiden and Kiss. I also listened to just about everything in my dads music collection, which was predominantly 80s. I was mostly into metal (80s Priest, Scorpions, Van Halen, Dio) but I also discovered non metal stuff too like Rush and Cheap Trick. I was also really into Elvis as a kid, can't remember how I got into his music exactly.

Once I got into middle school I became a bit more exposed to modern music, stuff that was played on the radio or what my friends listened to. Bands like Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Foo Fighters, etc. I also really got into Extreme around this time, which was a major discovery for me. Nuno was a huge inspiration for me on guitar. I also discovered classic artists I missed earlier, namely Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and the Beatles. I suppose this was when I branched out a bit from metal, but was still firmly in the rock genre.

It was also around this time I started to crave more progressive music. The Final Frontier came out when I was in 8th grade and Isle of Avalon was unlike anything I had heard before, so I was intent on hearing more stuff like it. I also got into Dream Theater that year thanks to seeing them open for Maiden, so that was another huge discovery.

Going into high school I had started to really discover progressive rock. Dream Theater and Rush were the first big finds. I was aware of 80s Rush thanks to my dad, but I had no idea about their 70s proggy past. I knew of 2112 but I couldn't get into it as a kid. But once I heard Hemispheres I was hooked. Along with Rush it was the typical prog classics. Yes, Genesis, but also newer stuff like Opeth. I also started to branch out a bit in high school with Jazz, hip hop, pop, and experimental music.

These days I'm still really into everything I grew up with, though some artists have outlasted others. After an intensive period in high school of finding new current music, I've been going back to the classics a bit and discovering older stuff (mainly metal) that I missed. I still try to check out new stuff regularly though.
But after all that, Iron Maiden is still the best of them all.

92-96 (8yrs-12yrs): favorite band was Metallica
96-99 (12-15yrs): the Beatles
99-present: Phish

got into Maiden in 2013. was sitting at home one night watching Palladia and Flight 666 came on. couldn't turn the channel and have been obsessed since. If Phish wasn't my all-time favorite band, Maiden would be #1.

1976 - 9 years old and it was KISS. If you weren't a KISS fan, you weren't my friend. Also loved Alice Cooper

1981 - 14 years old and it was Molly Hatchet, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen, April Wine, Ted Nugent, Triumph, Rush, Nazareth, Motorhead, UFO.

1982 - March, 15 years old - Number of the Beast came out and a buddy of mine picked it up the day it came out and when I heard Invaders I was blown away. Maiden have been my band ever since. Been part of my life for 34 years now and they have helped me through good and bad times. Can't imagine life without them. They always will be my favorite band ever and the best band on the planet!

1982/83 - 2000 - Scorpions, Satan, Angel Witch, Tygers of Pan Tang, Samson, Blitzkrieg, Def Leppard (first two albums ONLY), Saxon, Accept, Raven, Anthrax, Exciter, Anvil, Znowhite, Oz, Marillion, Fish, Fates Warning, Helloween, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Jag Panzer, Axewitch, Voivod, Metallica (first three albums only), Omen, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Slayer, Razor, D.R.I., The Exploited, Crumbsuckers, Dayglo Abortions, Metal Church, Yngwie Malmsteen, Blind Guardian.

2000's - Kamelot, Shadow Gallery, Guardians of Time, Storm Warrior, Symphony X, Burning Point, Epica, Rebellion, Sabaton, Turisas to name a few.

92-96 (8yrs-12yrs): favorite band was Metallica
96-99 (12-15yrs): the Beatles
99-present: Phish

got into Maiden in 2013. was sitting at home one night watching Palladia and Flight 666 came on. couldn't turn the channel and have been obsessed since. If Phish wasn't my all-time favorite band, Maiden would be #1.
Nice. From like 96-00 I pretty much lived and breathed Phish. Divided Sky at the Gorge in '97 at sunset.....words cannot describe.

My first favorite band was Three Dog Night. In the 70's I was all pretty much TDN, the Monkees, Barry Manilow and Billy Joel.

In 1983 I was all about the Police. Around the same time I discovered Genesis, Yes and subsequently Floyd then fell into a severe obsession with Rush from about 87-89, then got into Maiden. I also loved Bag Area thrash and then the funk scene (especially Primus) in order and also fell into some proggy metal-ly stuff like Fates and the Rhyche. Then I got really into Marillion, Tull and King Crimson. I did like rhe Grunge scene for about a year but then fell right into some really out prog and jazz fusion. Then I discovered Zappa. Then I discovered Peter Hammill and was pretty obsessed with both for about 5 years. Then I became obsessed with Phish for a bit and then got really into the Grateful Dead. Then really jnto jazz.

Now I listen to all that and everything else.

There are quite clear outlines as to which type of music I've been listening to over the years. It's mostly all rock and metal but still very much distinguishable. Many of these categories overlap and some bands still remain favourites, while others have sunk into the depths of oblivion.

2005 - At 7 years of age, my first concious music experiences were nu-metal/alternative metal bands System of a Down and Godsmack, and to a lesser extent Slipknot and Linkin Park.
ca 2007 - The black metal/death metal years. Favourites included Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Satyricon, Behemoth, Immortal, Diabolical Masquerade, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Amon Amarth and others.
2011 - The punk rock period. Ramones and Misfits were huge favourites for quite some time. This is also the time I started playing guitar more seriously.
2012 - The one and only Iron Maiden, which I had heard of before but now really got into, followed by Judas Priest. Basically, heavy metal appreciation. Helloween as well, but that fandom didn't last very long.
2014 - Joe Satriani opened up a whole new world of guitar playing for me. What I had learnt from Maiden was now complemented by inspiration from guitar superheroes.
2015 - Dream Theater. For about a year, I would almost exclusively listen to Dream Theater. I don't know which was a bigger discovery for me, Maiden or DT, but I hold Maiden responsible for all the other stuff I started to adore later on.
Current - The second wave of punk and Tom DeLonge oriented bands - Blink-182, Angels and Airwaves, Box Car Racer.

Last edited:
Never got into them. Can't say I've given them much of a chance either.

Edit: I completely forgot Joe Satriani from my list. Added now.

Last edited:
They could be seen as a bridge between Ramones and Blink. Best singer in the genre, and superb sense for melody.

1985/86 I heard Live After Death
1987 -89 Maiden/Megadeth/Anthrax/Overkill/Testament/Metallica/Slayer
1990-1994 Pantera/Megadeth/Anthrax/Overkill/Testament/Metallica/Slayer/Dream Theater
1995-2000 Pretty much rehashed all of the above...1990's grunge wore me out and killed a lot of other bands I was in to.
Mid 2000's -present Got back into all of the above and then some and discovered some stuff from back in the day that I missed.

Birth - Around 2005
Mostly Neil Diamond, Fleetwood Mac, and a lot of George Thorogood. I saw all three of those bands live in that time frame too, Neil Diamond being my first at 3. Also a lot of celtic instrumental stuff too. I was an odd child...

2005ish
My dad introduced me to Guns N' Roses. That was bad parenting. But it was good music..

2007. I think..
I got the Guitar Hero video game and liked a lot of the songs on that. Still no Maiden

Late 2009-2010
Somewhere in here I got the Guitar Hero 3 game and heard my first Maiden song, The Number of the Beast. I also started watching a lot of VH1 and stuff. I also loved Queensryche!!

After watching Death on the Road I got big into maiden. Thanks Dance of Death!!! I went to the concert next year. That's when I joined here. Metallica and Megadeth were also big for me.

PROG. Dream Theater and Tool.

Today
Same as above.

Nice thread.

1983 -1985: Def Leppard (and some Scorps, Zeppelin, Floyd, Who)...all due to my older brothers playing this stuff non-stop (I think I heard Pyromania at once a day for a year straight). Non-rock stuff at this time: Duran Duran.

1986-1992: Maiden. Religiously. Like...I listened to at least one track off of SIT every single day without fail. If I could have found Steve Harris' replica spandex outfit from Live After Death, I would have worn it to school. I was a dweeb/nerd who watched Doctor Who. read too many comic books and choose-your-own adventure books, and played D&D. Maiden was the only band that spoke my language in those days - pure escapism, baby. Non-hard rock stuff at this time: U2 and the Cure.

1993-1995: Nine Inch Nails (and some Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and general grunge stuff. Also discovered Metallica's back catalogue during this time...and was rocking Carcass and Sepultura ). Hey...it was the 90s. I was playing a lot of Doom and NIN provided a great backdrop, plus I was a pissed off teenager dealing with girlfriend issues and NIN addressed those juvenile type of topics better than anyone else. Maiden was still there in the background...though I was kinda burnt out on them at this time. TXF rekindled my interest. Non-rock stuff at this time: None - it was all rock and metal.

1996 - 2007: Type O Negative and Maiden (and Cradle of Filth and Tool): Type O Negative? Yeah, they are in a completely different universe than Maiden, but that's why I liked them so much because they completely contrasted with Steve and co. October Rust is my favorite album of all time, just slightly above SIT. BNW elevated Maiden up to 'must listen often' status (met my now wife while BNW came out, so that's another reason why I like it so much). Non-rock stuff: I got into new age and Jazz on the side to relax to.

2007 - current: Devin Townsend, Gojira, and Maiden: Discovered Devin's vast number of albums and appreciate his diversity. Gojira I save for when I need something brutal (.but with spiritual/positive lyrics!)...and I've been enjoying the reunion era of Maiden. Non-rock stuff: Re-discovered Depeche Mode, and yes... I often listen to Taylor Swift and Katy Perry to keep my 5 year old daughter happy. The things we do for our kids...

Obviously I listen to more than the above, but these are the 'bands at the top of the list' for each respective era.

I've always been welded to a record player.

Late '60's - old 78's by various and my Puff the Magic Dragon lp.
70's - T.Rex, Genesis, Who, Black Sabbath, Stevie Wonder, Hawkwind, Beatles, Beach Boys, Jam, Pistols, Stranglers, Floyd, Motorhead, Saxon...
80's - Maiden, Van Halen, Priest, Zep, AC/DC, Scorps, Metallica, Slayer, Kreator, Sepultura...
90's - Pantera, Vai... Revisiting old stuff on cd mainly. Waste of money that was!
21st century - Nile, Carach Angren, and much the same old stuff.

There's been a bit of classical and pop along the way, but the old faves endure. T.Rex and Slayer particularly.

Bros
Maiden
Buckethead
I put that here: it would be too bad somebody misses this band (whose K7 I had copied around 1988 I admit :D)

1981 (birth)-1985: I still have glimpses of pop songs I seem to have known "since I was born" (e.g Toto "Africa" from 1982, I think) + Georges Brassens (the best French songwriter ever, by a long shot)

1986-1991: French Top 50 and equivalents, ranging from grass pop to the likes of AC DC, GNR, Queen, Trust... without uniting all these bands into a precise genre. At the same time, good (Brel, Balavoine) and less good (Sardou) French singers - my father must have had some compilation cassettes for his birthday.

1992-now: Hard rock and heavy metal as such ( a little chronology of my music related presents: Christmas 1992 Queen Live At Wembley - birthday 1993 (March) AC DC Live), both on double cassettes. Then, circa May 1993, my first CD AC DC Highway to Hell, followed a couple of months later by If You Want Blood, and Maiden's Killers )

to be continued... (lest I venture into a 32 pages post ;) )

Nothing wrong with that. I had the Bros album. I stopped short of putting Grolsch tops on my shoes, however.

Back