Actually, that also kind of works if you think of Rudess as the Nicko of DT. Obviously Nicko doesn't contribute as much creatively, but the partnership between Petrucci and Rudess has defined DT since Six Degrees in a way that the rhythm section of Steve and Nicko has defined the "sound" of Maiden since Piece of Mind.

BTW, anyone who isn't convinced of Steve's role in the band, check out Dream Theater performing The Trooper with Bruce Dickinson (or any of the many recordings of members of Maiden doing Maiden songs outside of the band).

Honestly the first thing that stood out to me on this was the bass and drums, especially the bass. Myung has such a different sound than Steve, it totally reshapes the low end of the song.

Agreed. I'd say that Dream Theater might be a good comparison. I firmly believe that Dream Theater could go on forever as long as John Petrucci was in the band. He is the Steve Harris of Dream Theater. I originally would have thought this true of both Portnoy and Myung, but they've proven it wrong with Portnoy and the more research I do has lead me to discover that Myung has been a mostly inactive member since the mid-to-late 90's.
I agree with you about JP being the Steve of the band. But Portnoy is definitely the Bruce Dickinson of the band IMO.

Did Portnoy hack your accuont?
Shhhhhhhhh...

I've been beating a dead hourse recently, but in all seriousness I really want him to rejoin the band. Mangini is literally Blaze Bayley.

Personality wise, they're both dead and did little to contribute to the band. Imo..

And Mangini is very good at what he does, it's just that there's no heart in it. He is a robot terminator that can play drums and is a threat to DT!!!

Mangini is a better drummer than Portnoy in my opinion, but Portnoy's contribution to the band was immense and went further than actual drumming. He was discribed by his bandmates has a kind of director: he didn't write music or melodies, but dictated the structure of the songs, the musical direction, and so on. Hearing where DT are going since his departure, I assume that he had a great role and I certainly miss him. And I'd let Blaze out of the discussion.

Last edited:
Let's let Blaze out of the"How much of a lineup change would make Iron Maiden not Iron Maiden?" discussion?

;)
No, out of the Portnoy/Mangini discussion. I was specifically talking about DT, and wanted to say that, while I think Portnoy's departure has ruined DT musically, I don't think the same with Blaze's arrival in Maiden.

Honestly the first thing that stood out to me on this was the bass and drums, especially the bass. Myung has such a different sound than Steve, it totally reshapes the low end of the song.

Totally different bass sound, yes, but I'd say the same for the rhythm guitar playing. It has a very different feel from Dave's playing. So as for the way Maiden sound, I'd say Dave is also an important part.

Btw, DT messed up the transition from the post-solo harmony part to the third verse. And Myung played the bass line wrong under the first bar of the solo. Come on, they can play The Dance of Eternity flawlessly and struggle with The Trooper? :p

As long as Steve is there I'd Think of it as Iron Maiden. He's the soul of the band.
Speaking of line up-Changes....once Bruce can't do it anymore, how about Jorn Lande?

Pretty 'kin excellent, I Think he'd be awesome for Maiden.

Thinking back on this thread At this stage of their career I really would t like to see any changes and hope they all stay together until the very end. Maiden are one of the few bands that really do seem to have a genuine chemistry with each other and seem to be more like family than work colleagues.

Of course as long as steve was still around I would still be interested in anything under the maiden name even if everyone else were to leave and be replaced.

What I do think would be cool is if say (touch wood he doesn't) but Bruce developed some problems where he could t finish a tour and the band drafted in a replacement a bit like the AC/DC situation then I'd be up for seeing that as a curiosity. Of course not Axl Rose but someone of a high standard that could do the songs real justice.

Only acceptable replacement would be Matt Barlow IMO but they should just cancel everything if Bruce can't perform.

Only acceptable replacement would be Matt Barlow IMO but they should just cancel everything if Bruce can't perform.

No way lol! I love Matt Barlow as much as the next iced earth fan but he isn't in the same league as Bruce. I couldn't imagine many of maidens songs sounding great with him singing them.

Jorn lande or Michael kiske or someone in a similar vein to them would be my choice

Jorn Lande's voice is too hard-rock-ish for Maiden, plus he's not really a good frontman. Kiske's voice is too soft. Barlow can handle both the softer and harsher parts and is a good frontman too.

I love Barlow and he has a great range, but I'd argue that the majority of Maiden songs are sung consistently in the weakest part of Barlow's range - high tenor, non-falsetto.

I'd like to see Barlow with Maiden, but I don't think anyone can replace Bruce now. He's too big. His appeal extends well beyond dedicated metal fans. I do like Jorn's Final Frontier cover, though, slowed-down TFF lends itself to a more hard rock feel.

Back