1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Maidenfans.com Meetup discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by LooseCannon, Oct 1, 2015.

?

Are you interested in going to a meetup?

1. Maidenfans North America (Date & location TBD)

52.2%
  2. Maidenfans Europe (Date & location TBD, probably UK)

43.5%
  3. I don't like you people.

13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Hi everyone,

With tour dates being announced, it seems like now is the time to start discussing meetups. First tour dates in North America are in April.

Meetup NA:
    I've offered to host in Ottawa, assuming at least one show is in Montreal; there are people (@Cornfed Hick) who have mentioned that East Coast is a little far away (understandably).

Vegas has been suggested. Denver and Chicago are other more-central locations.

Meetup EU:
    Apparently @Dr. Eddies Wingman is open to hosting in Oslo if Maiden plays there.

Forostar likes this.
  2. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

NA: I'm down for a Chicago or Vegas meet up, but I live in neither city so I couldn't host.

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I might be in Vegas with my family at the same time as Maiden, so I'll try to stop by and say hello if there's a meetup.

4. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

:yes:

5. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

So it shall be written. So it shall be done.

Forostar likes this.
  6. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

Do you live in Oslo centrum?

7. Dr. Eddies Wingman

No, but 15 minutes away by metro.

SixesAlltheway likes this.
  8. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

Re North America

I can host in LA. PROS: the weather should be great in April; free lodging (assuming it's only a few people); you have a reasonably good chance of seeing Lemmy at the Rainbow (assuming he's still alive); it's on a weekend (well, Friday); we have an ocean. CONS: may be too far for people on the East Coast (that's a big one, can't be helped); explaining to my wife why she'd need to take the kids to her mom's place that weekend.

I think Denver is lovely. PROS: home to two of our most beloved members (SMX and Mosh); a bit more centrally located; the Brown Palace is a nice old hotel where I have points; legal weed; skiing. CONS: concert is on a Wednesday; weather is a wild card, could be sunny and warm, or could be a blizzard; don't want to impose on SMX and Mosh; airport totally sucks.

Vegas is sort of perfect. PROS: Easily accessible - there are direct flights from virtually everywhere; Vegas is literally made for stuff like this, with groups of people converging; Uber is now legal; concert is Sunday, so you can do the Vegas thing on Saturday night; prostitution encouraged. CONS: Not really a shorter flight from the East Coast than LA is; if you do Vegas right, it ain't cheap; you'd need to fly back on Monday morning.

Chicago is awesome. But not in April. PROS: Very fun city; easily accessible and centrally located; venue is walking distance from decent hotels and Milennium Park; da Bulls; Old Style and Lou Malnati's. CONS: Virtually guaranteed to be cold; another Wednesday show; no one to host (though I know my way around).

New York is even more awesome. PROS: It's New York - 'nuf said. CONS: VERY expensive; no one to host; another Wednesday show (wtf??).

Ottawa/Montreal: I've always wanted to visit. If it's on a weekend, would be great. Midweek travel will be hard for me, because I don't know what my work commitments will be that far ahead. PROS: See new cities. CONS: Loosecannon is a dirty disgusting werewolf who will murder and eat us.
    :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Forostar likes this.
  9. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

I'd like to go a European show with some of the crew.

10. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

I'd very much like to do the whole meetup thing, but depends very much on funds and time off work, which is rarely easy to sort out.

11. SixesAlltheway

12. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Thou shalt come.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

We have longboats. And a ski jump zipline. And bloody expensive beer.

... and Swedish waitresses.

Forostar and SixesAlltheway like this.
  13. SixesAlltheway

Swedish waitresses [​IMG]

How much room do you have?

14. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Well, there's the challenge. I've got one couch, the rest will have to be floor. I'm sure I can arrange some extra mattresses.

15. Black Wizard

Looks like Maidenfans 2016 is sorted. Time to brush up on my Norwegian.

16. Dr. Eddies Wingman

All you need to know is "En øl til, takk" :D

17. Black Wizard

I'm going to guess that means "One beer please, thanks".

18. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Close. It means "One more beer, thanks" (literally. In fact, that sentence implies a "please", so it's sufficiently polite) :D "Øl" is beer, "takk" is thanks, 1€ is no more than 9 NOK, and that's all you need to know.

19. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

So my family trip ends two days before the Maiden show. The bad news is that it means the Vegas show will be a bit more difficult to make, the good news is that I'm going to try my best to make it and if so I'll be more free for a Maidenfans meetup. So Vegas gets my vote for now. Whether or not I can do a meetup for the Denver show will depend more on if/when I'm working that day.

20. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Honestly, I think a Denver show would be great, but the only way that works is if someone there wants to host - which, given that Mosh is young and SMX has moved mountains for me in the past, there is no rights to even ask.

.... Seriously thinking about doing Oslo though.