2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil

I'd like to witness what it's like at Berlin right now. After all, such a celebration will probably never happen here.

Best team in the tournament won the whole thing. Well deserved.

Messi won the Golden Ball? Gimme a fucking break, fuck off. Should've been Schweinsteiger.

Argentina wouldn't get to anywhere without Messi and they lost the Final with an extra time goal. I think it's justified.

He was shit in the last 2 games. At least in the previous games he scored some goals, but overall he was average.

He was shit in the last 2 games. At least in the previous games he scored some goals, but overall he was average.

The importance of Messi to this team goes much further than goals. He single handedly got them through the group stage (They were up by 1 own goal against Bosnia and were struggling, he iced the game with a solo goal. They were awful against Iran and he came up with the winning goal all by himself. He scored 2 against Nigeria), created the Di Maria goal in extra time against Switzerland in the 2nd round, was the best player on the field against Belgium in quarters. Semi Final matchup against Netherlands was mostly about defending from both sides but he did score the first penalty after Netherlands missed theirs.

Not to mention he's their captain and probably the main reason the team were so focused on the field throughout the tournament.

Schweinsteiger was instrumental for Germany's success but he wasn't as valuable as Messi was in this tournament.

He did have many of the biggest chances in the final match as well.

What match did you watch, exactly? Argentina had 2 clear chances at goal this game, one with Gonzalo Higuain and one with Rodrigo Palacio.

Messi took just about the worst free kick of all time at the end. Still a brilliant player and I think it's fair to talk about him in the same breath as Maradona and Pele, I just think that he perhaps doesn't have the right attitude to be the man at the World Cup. Maybe if he had a bit of Cristiano Ronaldo's cockiness then things could pan out differently.

I am glad that Germany won though. :) That win has been coming since 2006 and this team could go from strength to strength now (Scotland have to play them in Euro 2016 qualifying). It looks like Thomas Muller could eclipse Miroslav Klose's goalscoring record at World Cups as well. He's only 24 and is on course to get 20 goals at World Cups if he avoids injuries and Germany progress to the latter stages in the next two tournaments.

What am I supposed to do with my life now?

The core of this German team is relatively young and they have up and coming players as well. Who knows what will the next four years bring but they're likely to be favorites in 2018 as well.

Well done Germany! A boring game but that goal was incredible. I jumped out of my seat to see it.

Poor Schweinsteiger, he had to endure a lot of rash challenges. Mascherano did enough to deserve two yellow cards on top of the one he already had, Agüero should have been booked for his elbow as well. The ref made sure the final continued in the same style as earlier in the tournament.

Yeah, I was amazed he managed to stay on the pitch with all the harsh challenges he was receiving from the Argentinians. lol Argentina could easily have been reduced to 9 men, and couldn't have complained if that did happen. The ref was incredibly lenient, it was almost as bad as the refereeing during the Brazil-Colombia match.

Gotze's goal was magnificent! Definitely a goal worthy of winning a world cup final. I actually shed some tears when Germany lifted the trophy. lol Watching West Germany play during Italia 90' was a major factor in beginning my interest in football, so to see them win the world cup again for the first time since then was magical. :) They were the best team in the tournament overall, and definitely worthy winners. Talking of which, I don't think Messi deserved to be awarded best player of the tournament. Yes, he did carry Argentina through most of the tournament, but that was due to isolated moments of magic, rather than playing well overall. In every game he played in, he was mainly lacklustre apart from the goals he scored.

A good arguement could be made about him being as great as Maradona and Pele, but the fact is, he will never be viewed as a legend in Argentina in the same way Maradona is without lifting the world cup, it's as simple as that. And now the tournament is finally over, which sucks. :( It's definitely been a great world cup though, one of the best ever, and aside from the odd boring match, it's been thoroughly entertaining over the past 4 weeks. Loved it!

Last edited:
Back