The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show Brody! But I've heard a few negative reactions to the great unknown...it is one of my favorite songs from BOS. I was thrilled to see it added. What's wrong with the performance on this song exactly?
It's hard to put my finger on it. Maybe it's just it's place in the set. It didn't seem to have the same energy as every other BOS song, if that makes sense. Not to say it was bad, just slightly underwhelming.

It's hard to put my finger on it. Maybe it's just it's place in the set. It didn't seem to have the same energy as every other BOS song, if that makes sense. Not to say it was bad, just slightly underwhelming.

That was pretty much my opinion as well .. glad they played it .. glad I heard it .. but it was okay ... the rest of the BOS songs were well beyond okay ...

As a first-timer, were you okay with only hearing 7 classics from the 80s?
I actually really like The Book of Souls album, so I was completely okay with that. I would have maybe liked to hear Hallowed Be Thy Name, but I understand the circumstances and why they're not playing it.

Edit: I was more excited for IESF and SoL than some of the classics, to be totally honest.

Last edited:
Correct. From first listen, shadows of the valley and the great unknown were my favorite songs from BOS. Still are. TGU is the song I'm most anticipating Saturday night too. I can't imagine I can be disappointed by it live!!

I'm still disapointed that not many video/recordings have surfaced from Chicago. I would love to hear Powerslave again. As far as TGU goes, I like it just like everything else on TBOS album. I think two things stand out to me about TGU live A) Its placement in the setlist. After TR&TB-The Trooper-Powerslave it seems like bit of a downer and then it is followed by Bruce banter and TBOS. it just seems to stall the show out a bit. Maybe better in the #4 spot that COTD occupies or before TR&TB. B) Bruce's talking during the guitar part of it kind of takes away from the great guitar playing.

I sooooo wish I was going to St. Louis to see TBOS show one more time but I can't get any more time off. GREAT ALBUM and GREA TOUR!

Albuquerque was great... but a little weird. The whole venue, even though it's outside, smells like a stale ashtray. Not active cigarette smoke, mind you... but an ashtray that's been laying around the house and needs to be emptied... and the carpet and drapes have the same odor. Like... okay, well, kind of like a heavily used motel room. Ew.
But... back to the important stuff... the show. Closest I've ever been for Maiden. I think that pit's only like 30 feet deep or something. So we were about 20 feet from the stage all night. The wind had been blowing up a dust storm all day and I think it trashed Bruce's voice. But, the band's energy more than made up for it. Seeing all the solos that close up was frickin' beautiful, and we were on Dave's side, so there was that ear to ear smile all night.
My friends got stuck in traffic, and one of their tickets was on my credit card for entry, so I missed most of Ghost. Only got to see Monstrous Clock, dammit. I can't really complain, because I'm seeing them here in Denver in a week and a half, anyway.
No event shirt, not surprisingly, as it was a much smaller venue in the (apologies, Albuquerque) middle of nowhere. But that's cool, I've got enough shirts anyways. I did pick up the patch, and can't wait to put it on a black Redkap work shirt. That's gonna look groovy.
Once again, great show, as always... can't wait for the next one!

Powerslave is a real highlight on the tour .. I thought Dallas pretty equal to Chicago. They are just grooving the fuck out of that song.

On another note, and I have not done any research on this, but I think this tour has the most title tracks in one tour

TBOS
FotD
Powerslave
Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden

Powerslave is a real highlight on the tour .. I thought Dallas pretty equal to Chicago. They are just grooving the fuck out of that song.

On another note, and I have not done any research on this, but I think this tour has the most title tracks in one tour

TBOS
FotD
Powerslave
Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden

Close! It's actually tied with the Dance of Death and TFF 2010 tours:

DoD
BNW
FOTD
Iron Maiden
NOTB

You all will make fun of me for asking this, but just remember I'm old, and I have reserved seats:

How long was Ghost's set, and when has Ghost tended to take the stage? I'm trying to time my arrival to San Bernardino from LA -- it's about a 2-hour drive, maybe worse given the traffic. I assume Iron Maiden starts around 8:30 or 9:00, so Ghost presumably starts around 7:00 or so. Thoughts? Complicating things is the fact the San Berdoo show is a mini-festival, with Exodus and Kamelot, whom I have almost no interest in seeing, particularly in the heat. I do want to see Ghost though.

Here is the note I got from Ticketmaster -- should be a huge show:
Dear Iron Maiden fan-
This message is being sent on behalf of the Glen Helen Amphitheater in
regards to your upcoming event.

Iron Maiden
Glen Helen Amphitheater
Saturday, July 1, 2017

We are expecting in the neighborhood of 30 thousand people on Saturday for
Iron Maiden at Glen Helen Amphitheater.
Parking lots open at 1pm, doors are at 3pm, with music starting at 5pm.
Please check traffic to allow enough time to get to the show on time, ready
for a good time!

Thanks for being a fan!

Ticketmaster Fan Support

Back