The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

The goat just caught fire at the end of TNOTB. They put it out. Also Bruce sang all three 6-es. Probably for the first time in a while.

Yeah .. that was kinda funny .. the fire. I have not been that close to the stage in some time .. holy crap that was fun, but man it is going to take a day or so to recover

Who is Devin Hernandez and what does he have to do with the link to the Houston Press review of the show I posted? The reviewer's name is Cory Garcia. And he said nothing about preferring the classics or leaving early :nuts2:
He was the guy from the comments.

Took a decent amount of pics from last night

https://goo.gl/photos/yYLqn7ATQsibrc3QA

like this

O2MBXGEhrp-GyMkB5NxjP5rKI2Byp31kKVlWMcbg2VxiqkvJZaQV7d0IL8TDhYZsVRR72cc3o40geI5zj3MQbOW2PfzscxL9QST3_zesDrng1JcQ7ljf_QYYQ5V-nZdOIshKlMh8jErhWZG0HmysmzfDBd6x8h5_2Q6zGRBVtCowv1bConvnq9Vz_EhqBePpBIHs_IcvpxNuMyV_-HVwvmp060wKfxfk75fWE6uOomV-gzivVN5ccrQU6mzXOUdH8Vji1nDaSpGligfAJ1MlVr3eNCenW7dJWVfuVu-eL2z0ZKZlEzc2oq3_vqXW8H_wY0zlYtmcKe9i4lrrZ0xpuCI2na2_2U7-ROL5RoBKXOtIAG3nHCH_t9wl_0Hqjr6KNeEsLj4Lwy7P5MrM6YP--wIzUPmw6yIXeDHQ08GHb9s3033DRRAsEa3gZ4OA9ovoVM_G9Ja3wqexQHFfC5IVue4a3_NK2-W8db14yxk9u6dwTc1a4dbBIFZJ7amUqRJRL_-LogYf7BlBOUFPNO3kF3iSyI44nkTNQgJqHW1jWL847STFMiOQw9nI7RPeNKzHEPn3wJxwJXf6AOesHuF-RD_bA8pSzq2rJy_HHPfL9KuHNiTBIrumtAmxxI_xzPUfcXId3eppdSjssbYCwXE9H6R1JDqL3-J66GA-hKb61w=w2217-h1248-no

The one comment to that review is the worst comment related to a Maiden show that I've ever ever read. And I've read a lot of bad ones on Facebook..
Damn I thought you were talking about my comment "cool review"! Thanks to LC for clarifying you meant the comment that was posted by some loser that I could not see because I am not on Facebook (I prefer Twitter)

Damn I thought you were talking about my comment "cool review"! Thanks to LC for clarifying you meant the comment that was posted by some loser that I could not see because I am not on Facebook (I prefer Twitter)

Oops! Sorry about that. Yeah, I meant the guy that commented on the review and slammed Maiden for not playing all classics. It's not really hard these days to know what a band is going to be playing before you buy a ticket..

I've asked my girlfriend to correct some glare from the sun, but she's at her family's place this weekend.

And where exactly are the bass synth parts on the album? I can think of one, and that's the opening note. Maybe some synths in Sea of Madness or Loneliness are triggered by bass, but that's note-for-note too, and hence Steve wouldn't have to be 'wired', he'd just have a MIDI equipped bass and flick a switch. Just like Smith does on Stranger in a strange land. When he strums that bare chord leading into the verse, he just flicks a switch akin to a pickup selector and gets that synth guitar layer. I wouldn't call that exactly complicated.
Wireless MIDI tech wasn't there back in the 80s, hence why he'd need to be wired to do the bass synth bits. He said this himself in an interview once, and it's why the few bass synth parts that were there on the album weren't heard live. It might've also been a contributing factor to why there's relatively little bass synth stuff on the album in the first place, since he probably realized this once they started recording.

Yeah but wireless MIDI also exists to a degree today. Not so much back then when this stuff was really new and unproven tech. Hell, back then the standard cable used for Roland synths was comparatively massive and (I believe) actually had two thumbscrews to make sure it doesn't fall off.

Wireless MIDI didn't exist back then because I'm not aware of any standard RF data interface that had 31.2kbps bandwidth in legal parts of the spectrum. GSM of that era used 9.1kbaud of data initially as many of you might already know.
Still I wouldn't call it additional 'wiring', you have 2 cables instead of one, they can be arranged so they don't flop around, you know?

Regarding MIDI it's DIN-5 standard (5 pins + ground), akin to old XT/AT keyboard connectors that were before PC industry adopted narrow circled PS/2 from IBM, all that was before USB. It's the only standardized physical MIDI connection, it's not that relevant any more because there are tons of ways to transfer MIDI over local Ethernet or IP networks from/to modern devices. What you were probably referring to are proprietary connections between MIDI pickups and processor box. MIDI pickups are hexafonic / divided pickups, and their output to the processor box is voltage amplitude that correlates to pitch of a particular string. These six analog signals are brought to the foot controller, and it's the logic inside that takes these analog values, converts them and packs them into MIDI messages. That's why you have a proprietary connector between Roland GK and GR, it's not MIDI inside.

then the standard cable used for Roland synths was comparatively massive and (I believe) actually had two thumbscrews to make sure it doesn't fall off.

Yup I also gave this as an opinion. Early stages of tech development, bulky, not durable enough (stage heat, etc), and if Harris though it discomforts his play, he'd ditch it at once.

I referred to it as "wiring" since the cables had clumsy connectors, were pretty thick and Steve preferred being wireless even back then. It wasn't an issue for Adrian since he was always wired anyway.

the big issue with SIT songs live is the absence of a third guitar... Many of the songs had a lead and rhythm guitar but also had key synth notes that were totally absent live.. the band have 3 guitars now, why not utilize it for a kickass comeback tour? Caught Somewhere in Time had a horrid live sound in the lines before each verse because both Adrian and Dave played the lead riff with no rhythm which left an empty sound since Steve's bass was not particularly dominant in many songs live. A third guitar taking over the bass lines in that section to fill rhythm would fix the issue... The band have 3 guitars! Use them. Give Janick the synth parts and let Adrian and Dave have their original bits... plus 3 guitars playing the same galloping riffs together would be quite a heavy sound

the big issue with SIT songs live is the absence of a third guitar... Many of the songs had a lead and rhythm guitar but also had key synth notes that were totally absent live.. the band have 3 guitars now, why not utilize it for a kickass comeback tour? Caught Somewhere in Time had a horrid live sound in the lines before each verse because both Adrian and Dave played the lead riff with no rhythm which left an empty sound since Steve's bass was not particularly dominant in many songs live. A third guitar taking over the bass lines in that section to fill rhythm would fix the issue... The band have 3 guitars! Use them. Give Janick the synth parts and let Adrian and Dave have their original bits... plus 3 guitars playing the same galloping riffs together would be quite a heavy sound

Janick is the last guitarist in the whole universe that would use guitar synth.

Back