Top 50 Albums (Up From the Crypt, Ep. VII)

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
Up From the Crypt, Ep. I - Manilla Road's Voyager
Up From the Crypt, Ep. II - Manilla Road's Mystification
Up From the Crypt, Ep. III - Manilla Road's Mysterium
What I've been digging as of August 3rd, 2014 (Up From the Crypt, Ep. IV)
Up From the Crypt, Ep. V - King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King
Up From the Crypt, Ep. VI - Ton Ten Motörhead Albums

Dylan, it's been 4 months since your last entry.

I don't know about all that.
Here's my Top 50:

1. Sleep's Dopesmoker
2. Overkill's The Years of Decay
3. Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time
4. Motörhead's 1916
5. Gamma Ray's Land of the Free
6. Blue Öyster Cult's Imaginos
7. Sodom's Agent Orange
8. Iron Maiden's Iron Maiden
9. Overkill's Feel the Fire
10. D. R. I.'s Dealing With It!
11. Blue Öyster Cult's Secret Treaties
12. Manilla Road's Crystal Logic
13. Rush's Hemispheres
14. Immortal's At the Heart of Winter
15. Motörhead's Ace of Spades
16. Candlemass's Nightfall
17. Sodom's M-16
18. Overkill's From the Underground and Below
19. Iron Maiden's Powerslave
20. Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast
21. Kreator's Pleasure to Kill
22. Grave Digger's Tunes of War
23. Metallica's Kill 'Em All
24. Voivod's Nothingface
25. Kreator's Extreme Aggression
26. Judas Priest's Defenders of the Faith
27. Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. I
28. Manilla Road's Voyager
29. Pentagram's Pentagram (Relentless)
30. King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King
31. Venom's At War With Satan
32. Bathory's Bathory
33. Blue Öyster Cult's Spectres
34. Razor's Violent Restitution
35. D. R. I.'s Dirty Rotten LP
36. Motörhead's Orgasmatron
37. Overkill's Under the Influence
38. Gamma Ray's Sigh No More
39. Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death
40. Grave Digger's Excalibur
41. Symphony X's V, the New Mythology Suite
42. Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark
43. Blackfoot's Strikes
44. Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King
45. Razor's Evil Invaders
46. Savage's Loose 'n Lethal
47. Tankard's The Morning After
48. Artillery's By Inheritance
49. Motörhead's Rock 'n' Roll
50. Running Wild's Under Jolly Roger

Last edited:
Two of Gamma Ray's best albums in there. Very good! I also agree with Keepers 1 being better than 2. Love that high Nightfall position! I'd like to take (another) look at the links you've posted. Thanks!

Interesting. Love seeing all the BOC, especially the love for Imaginos.
Imaginos. Man, what an album. To think that the version of Imaginos that BOC put out in 1988 isn't even the fully realized triple album (might be double, feel free to cross-reference that) that was intended is crazy. Awesome, awesome album. Love the story, love how heavy it is (that guitar work is phenomenal), and I love BOC for being a great group.

Two of Gamma Ray's best albums in there. Very good! I also agree with Keepers 1 being better than 2. Love that high Nightfall position! I'd like to take (another) look at the links you've posted. Thanks!
Sigh No More especially. A lot of people don't hold that album up to other Gamma Ray greats (Somewhere Out in Space, Power Plant, Majestic), but I personally love the more straightforward, strict heavy metal that is performed on the album. I mainly started this series as a small hobby to fine tune my writing/review skills; honestly, it's been fun. With each entry of course, I'm learning more and more; so, some of the entries might not be very great, but this is a learning experience.

I much prefer the first two Gamma Ray albums to the rest of what they did. I'm not a big power metal guy so those albums have a very nice blend of the power metal type stuff with a more grounded metal style which works well for me. Changes in particular is a really killer song.

Yeah that one's good, Dream Healer's definitely a favorite of mine. If there are two Gamma Ray songs that are mainstays in my playlist, it would be Dream Healer and Rebellion in Dreamland.

I do really like Gamma Ray's debut, although I'm not as big on Sigh No More (but it's still fairly good). Changes and Dream Healer are both amazing songs though, and do compete with Gamma Ray's best songs.

The version of Heal Me that's on Blast From the Past is also pretty good. I really like that compilation

Going between the two I prefer the debut. Sigh No More may have better highs but it also has a lot of songs I don't really like. Sail On, Lust For Life, Heaven Can Wait, Space Eater, HFT. All top tier GR tracks. Listening to the lbum now cause of this thread. :D

I haven't had a good GR listen in a long time, might spend the weekend listening to some of their other albums. Its been awhile but I remember Powerplant, Somewhere Out in Space, and Land of the Free being among the best of them. I also remember Majesty being pretty good and LOTF 2 was not as bad as I expected.

Heading For Tomorrow definitely has its moments, I think it's a pretty good album. There's only a few GR albums I don't like: No World Order, Insanity and Genius, and Empire of the Undead. Those are all just kind of meh.

Insanity and Genius is pretty bad but I get that it was still an experimental period for them. I don't think NWO is bad as much as after the greatness of Dreamland, the rest fails to live up.

Edit: I think I got NWO mixed up with Land of the Free. :facepalm:

No World Order has some great tunes. Land of the Free is really uneven IMO.

Last edited:
Back