Up From the Crypt, Ep. V - King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
Up From the Crypt, Ep. I - Manilla Road's Voyager
Up From the Crypt, Ep. II - Manilla Road's Mystification
Up From the Crypt, Ep. III - Manilla Road's Mysterium
What I've been digging as of August 3rd, 2014 (Up From the Crypt, Ep. IV)

Hey, uh... Sorry if the last Up From the Crypt was rather shitty. I was very tired when I wrote it. Also, I plan to make this series more active and make no mistake... Over the past three months I've listened to roughly 35 albums! So I'm not running out of material, I just have trouble finding albums that I have something insightful to say about.

Now it's my pleasure to present...

King_Crimson_-_In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_(Album_cover).jpg

In the Court of the Crimson King.

The Wikipedia Page

In the Court of the Crimson King is one of those "classic albums". The Number of the Beast, Moving Pictures, Ride the Lightning, Painkiller, Ace of Spades, Abigail... If you're not about to wet yourself, you should be. Because I hold In the Court of the Crimson King in the same regard as those albums. Albums like this one are ones that, even if you don't exactly like the music on them, you give a nod to them for the sheer power and impact they had back then and continue to have now.

After listening to this album for the first time, I had to check and see if this really was the debut by the band. Because the sound they produce on this album is so refined and pinpoint you could have sworn this was the 7th, maybe 8th album by these guys. The sound in question is very progressive. At times, it even ventures into symphonic territory (the kind of symphonic that the likes of Yes were crafting around this time) and some Jazz elements are also thrown into the mix. Speaking of the Jazz elements on this album, some of the songs here even have improvised sections. Which, I thought that the improv sections on the album would be some of my least favorite pieces; but as it turns out, they're awesome. The free-form, childish feel of the latter half of "Moonchild" is amazingly beautiful against the tight, progressive backdrop the band set up in the previous tracks.

This is one of those albums that just demands your full attention through and through. It was like I woke up from a trance the first time I finished the album. As I stated above, the sound here is very professional and it's really amazing that this level of music is occupying the band's debut. King Crimson takes every opportunity they can to impress on this album and create some of the greatest, most thoughtful and overall impressive music I have ever heard from a progressive rock band before. Never, throughout the course of this album, did I find King Crimson's sound dull or flat or unsatisfactory. Their sound constantly impressed and never falls below excellent. Honestly after hearing "21st Century Schizoid Man", I kinda knew the whole album at least has to be this great. I was not wrong, the entire 5-song tracklist is pure magic. It flows like butter and never creates an opportunity for the music to get boring.

Some of my favorite moments on the album have to be when the band ventures outside standard progressive rock and goes into more symphonic and Jazz territory. Just look at the opener, "21st Century Schizoid Man", and you'll see that the Jazz elements translate exceptionally well into King Crimson's already eclectic style. A lot of the symphonic aspects lie in the epics "Epitaph" and "The Court of the Crimson King" which utilize a lot of keyboard. While all of the band members that worked on this album deserve recognition, I especially have to give props to Ian McDonald on keyboards. The atmosphere that he creates on some of these tracks is second to none. I also find it important to note that each of the band members helped produce the album. Which, that's not really something I see often from a band.

In the Court of the Crimson King is something special. It constantly impressed and never lost my full attention. It's one of the best albums I have ever heard. I'm still kicking myself for waiting so long to hear it.

I give this album an 100/100.

Here is my recommended track "The Court of the Crimson King"

Great album. Would be interesting to hear your take on more of their albums, if you work your way chronologically. Have you heard Emerson, Lake & Palmer by the way? They carry a lot of similarities to King Crimson IMO.

I worked my way through their discography chronologically and that was a cool way to go about it, hearing their sound evolve and all. The only period I didn't enjoy was the 90s, and they weren't very prolific then anyway. I'm not sure if I hear the ELP similarities though. Yes they both had Greg Lake, but ELP seemed more into pompous instrumental work and symphonic structures. They were like a rock band emulating an orchestra. Crimson had more of a jazz/improv approach IMO. And of course their sound was much heavier and darker.

Is it time to bring back bands weeks? :D King Crimson was slated to go next, could be fun to do a whole thread for them and I've been itching to have some good music discussions.

Point taken. Although it seemed to me that James in particularly liked the symphonic/keyboard aspect of Crimson - so I think ELP is not a bad recommendation. Sure they did go way off into the deep end in the 70s, the first few ELP albums are better balanced between the symphonic rock (that James seems to be tripping on) and then their later more pompous style...The first few Crimson and ELP albums has similarities, then they both change their direction....

Also I want to know if James knows Yes?

If he wants to go the jazz/improv way, there's no better bands to listen to next than Soft Machine. They're incredible :)

Last edited:
Oh yea, ELP and Crimson are definitely in the same family of bands and all. I'd say they're at least worth checking out after Crimson, along with the other prog greats. Personally I like some ELP but I can only take it in small doses. Some of it is good and some of it is way too pompous and over the top.

I remember discussing Yes with James a few years ago, so hopefully he's well versed in them by now! :D As far as early prog bands go, I think they were best at mixing instrumental virtuosity with musicality.

Yupp, well I pretty much agree with you there. Both band though, two of the most experimenting bands of prog in the 70s, but ELP definitely had more navel-gazing goin' on :D

Well, there's a Yes survivor coming up soon, right? Maybe we could combine it with a Yes band of the week thing.

In the Court of the Crimson King is indeed a great album, though the rather tedious "Moonchild" drags the overall impression down a bit.

In the past few years, I've come to appreciate the New Wave-ish eighties records the most, especially the live archive release Absent Lovers. You really must get that one if you don't have it.

Great album. Would be interesting to hear your take on more of their albums, if you work your way chronologically. Have you heard Emerson, Lake & Palmer by the way? They carry a lot of similarities to King Crimson IMO.

I absolutely despise EPL while King Crimson is one of my favorite bands. I don't think they're that similar. EPL sounds cheesy more often than not, Crimson sounds very dark.

I've actually come to appreciate Moonchild quite a bit. Try listening to it in the dark while just laying around or relaxing or something. The middle section is very atmospheric and manages to send chills down my spine! Even if it is just them noodling in the studio :p

Haven't heard that recording, but I'll definitely check it out. I love the Belew era quite a bit. Shame that he's not part of the new Crimson.

I love Moonchild. First part with the lyrics is amazing, the second part with noodling is very soothing.

Woah! First Up From the Crypt to get responses!

@SixesAlltheway I haven't had the chance yet to hear any ELP. Any albums you would recommend to start with?

@Mosh I've heard the following Yes albums: Drama, Fly From Here, Heaven & Earth, Keys to Ascension 2, Relayer, Tales From Topographic Oceans, 90125. Of course, some of those albums I haven't heard in maybe 2 or 3 years. After I listen to some more albums by Inquisition, I'll probably listen to some more King Crimson and brush up on my Yes.

I haven't had the chance yet to hear any ELP. Any albums you would recommend to start with?
Tarkus, Trilogy, and their self titled are the ones I'd go for. If you don't like those ELP might not be your thing. As you've probably figured out by now, these albums are growers and take multiple listens. Don't be discouraged if you don't like them at first, Tarkus took a couple listens to sink in with me. If you want a sort of ELP "lite", go for The Nice. This is where Keith Emerson came from. It's 60's rock with a classical twist, their rendition of America from West Side Story was highly political and sorta put Emerson on the map. There was a collection released some time ago that gave you their essential singles, I'm not sure how hard that is to come by.

And of course, Greg Lake comes from King Crimson on In the Court.

I've heard the following Yes albums: Drama, Fly From Here, Heaven & Earth, Keys to Ascension 2, Relayer, Tales From Topographic Oceans, 90125. Of course, some of those albums I haven't heard in maybe 2 or 3 years. After I listen to some more albums by Inquisition, I'll probably listen to some more King Crimson and brush up on my Yes.
oh man, you're missing some serious essentials. You need to hear Fragile and Close to the Edge. These are the two best Yes albums and are head and shoulders above everything else you've heard from them. The Yes Album is their other classic and while I'm not a huge fan of this album, you need to hear it for Starship Trooper alone.

You should check out the rest of Keys to Acension too, the new material is some of their best.

By the way, if you're a fan of Jon Anderson's voice, the King Crimson song Lizard features him quite prominently. It's actually one of my favorite performances of his.

Cool, thanks. They are so many albums out there I haven't had the chance to listen to and listening to albums like In the Court of the Crimson King really gets me excited knowing that there are awesome albums out there like this.

Back