• Aftershock (2013)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
Up From the Crypt, Ep. I - Manilla Road's Voyager
Up From the Crypt, Ep. II - Manilla Road's Mystification
Up From the Crypt, Ep. III - Manilla Road's Mysterium
What I've been digging as of August 3rd, 2014 (Up From the Crypt, Ep. IV)
Up From the Crypt, Ep. V - King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King

Honorable Mentions:
12. Rock 'n' Roll (1987)

There are many Motörhead fans out there that rank this album among their least favorites, citing the somewhat uninspired playing and flat songwriting as major flaws that they just can't get past. I say that Rock 'n' Roll is a great album, misunderstood at times, that almost perfectly nails the near impossible task of following up to 1986's Orgasmatron. Rock 'n' Roll is fun, consistent, and can't give a damn about what you think about it. Highlights: Rock 'n' Roll, The Wolf, All For You.

11. Kiss of Death (2006)
Heralded by fans as a top notch slab of modern Motörhead, Kiss of Death greatly surpasses the Inferno album by a longshot. Building on and fine-tuning the solid foundation set by the two preceding albums, Kiss of Death is extremely heavy and features some of the best Motörhead tunes that have ever been pumped out. Fantastic songwriting, great performances... Kiss of Death is practically essential Motörhead. Highlights: One Night Stand, Trigger, Under the Gun.

Top Ten Motörhead Albums
10. Motörizer (2008)
1284998218_motgrhead-motgrizer-2008.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Motörhead is a band that never truly struggled to find a comfortable sound. Mixing sounds from the just then budding NWOBHM scene, various rock 'n' roll bands, blues, and rockabilly, Motörhead's debut (and the hundreds of albums that followed) had a one-of-a-kind sound that was distinctly and undeniably Motörhead. Motörizer takes that classic, signature noise and cranks it up to 11. If you ask me, "Is Motörizer the heaviest Motörhead album since Orgasmatron?", I'll tell you, "Hell, even heavier.". I mean this album is just so damn bluesy and even a little thrashy at times. It's a tone that Motörhead have been tasking themselves with recreating ever since this album came out. Outside of the near perfect atmosphere on the album, the performances by the Motörhead crew is phenomenal. When solos are suppose to rip, they simply destroy. When drum fills are suppose to paralyze, they get charged with voluntary manslaughter. The pacing on the album could be better. Motörhead chose to put all the real heavy hitters at the beginning (with the exception of the last track) and loaded half of the album with filler tracks. No big deal, it's a problem that albums like Ace of Spades and Another Perfect Day struggled with too. Highlights: Runaround Man, Rock Out, One Short Life, The Thousand Names of God.

I give this album an 83/100.

Here is my recommended track "Teach You How to Sing the Blues"

9. Another Perfect Day (1983)
83.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

I always have trouble putting my feelings for this album into English. Good god, this album is intimidating. I mean just look at that cover. This is one of those Motörhead albums that kinda slips everybody's mind when Motörhead is brought up. It's a really, really good album that kind of has gained a cult following since the initial sour reception it received in 1983. It features Brian Robertson (of Thin Lizzy fame), Philthy Animal, and that bass player/singer guy whose name I can't quite recall. If anything, everybody on the album plays solid. Brian Robertson is interesting to hear, since he kind of stands in stark contrast to the likes of Fast Eddie Clark. The production on Another Perfect Day comes under fires sometimes for being too "sleak" and refined. At times, the album gets kind of quiet, but it's not exactly that big of a problem due to the fact that Motörhead is suppose to be played loud anyway. I would consider this album to be one any fan of heavy metal should listen to and form their own opinion and judgement of it. The songwriting here is phenomenal, there's a certain charm to each song that really carries the album into Motörhead glory. Highlights: Back At the Funny Farm, Dancing On Your Grave, Rock It, Another Perfect Day.

I give this album an 85/100.

Here is my recommended track, "One Track Mind"

8. Aftershock (2013)
album-1382045488.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Wow, talk about modern Motörhead. Motörhead's efforts from Hammered and onward have been simply amazing. However, this one deserves special recognition because it came out just last year... and, surprise, surprise, it kicks major ass. With previous Motörhead albums, the pacing has been jagged and that sometimes obstructs a Motörhead album from reaching maximum potential. Now I'm not saying that this album has any less filler than previous albums, but that this album is paced beautifully. The song writing is truly a step up from the bit-more-than-lackluster The Wörld is Yours album. Also, everybody sounds shockingly brilliant on every single track. The production here is that big-budget, thick production job that has become the standard for Motörhead albums nowadays. Hell, even The Wörld is Yours had an awesome production. Overall, Aftershock surprised and wowed me 'til the very ending notes of the last track. Highlights: Heartbreaker, Coup de Grace, Lost Woman Blues, Going to Mexico.

I give this album an 86/100.

Here is my recommended track, "Silence When You Speak to Me"

I will be updating this list every day this week. While you wait, vote for your favorite Motörhead album!

Last edited:
7. Hammered (2002)
Motorhead-Hammered-Frontal.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Now we're getting into the good stuff, Hammered is one of my favorite Motörhead albums. There are albums better than it, and there are albums worse than it; however, Hammered is a Motörhead that will not lie to you. It knows what it is. It's not the best, nor the worst, just Hammered. It's a tried and true honest Joe Motörhead album. But outside it being good, hard-working Motörhead, Hammered has a lot of substance. In fact, the it's the most in-depth and engaging Motörhead experience since 1993's Bastards. This is an album with character, and one of the first "modern" Motörhead albums to really hit the nail on the head when it comes to the production. The production isn't out to sound glossy or refined, nor is it raw and untamed. Like Motörhead themselves, the production just feels natural and very comfortable. The pacing and songwriting on the album is also top-notch. Tracks like "Walk a Crooked Mile" and "Brave New World" embrace the poppy, catchy side of Motörhead's songwriting and mixes it with with sensible, fleshed out instrumental sections. The lyrics here are also insanely fun, with special nods to the poem at the end: "Serial Killer". At the end of the day, Hammered's not out to con you, it harkens back to their 1980's albums that got them the reputation as one of the World's premiere rock 'n' roll bands. Highlights: Walk a Crooked Mile, Down the Line, Kill the World, No Remorse.

I give this album an 88/100.

Here is my recommended track, "Brave New World"

6. Ace of Spades (1980)
Ace_of_Spades.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

...do I even need to say anything? Yes, actually, I do because I have a lot about this album. This is the album that "did it" for Motörhead. As in, the album that every album afterwards was based one. And trust me, this album is a damn good foundation for Motörhead. Sure Bomber was good and everything, but man! Ace of Spades! Just look at that cover! and the tracklisting! This album almost defines iconic. It's a textbook classic. This is probably one of my favorite production jobs ever done by Motörhead. A good mix between treble and bass and everyone comes through loud and clear. If I were to have one "beef" with this album, it would be that there is a bit too much filler for my liking. Sure, heavy-hitters are more than abundant on this album, but there's about 4 or 5 songs present that I would consider simply throwaway tracks. Regardless, this album reeks with character, and is responsible for many, many classic Motörhead songs. Highlights: Ace of Spades, Love Me Like a Reptile, (We Are) The Road Crew, The Chase is Better Than the Catch.

I give this album an 89/100.

Here is my recommended track, "The Hammer"

Last edited:
5. Bastards (1993)
motorhead-bastards-Frontal.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Wow March ör Die sucked. Now, Bastards is a fantastic Motörhead album. What really sells this album is Phil Campbell and Würzel's epic guitar performances. I mean, those guys are all over place on this album and they play/master a range of genres and sub-genres. From boogie rock to speed metal, these guys have it on lock down. Mikkey Dee and Lemmy of course sound top notch also, Lemmy in particular belts out some of my favorite lines ever to grace a Motörhead album. The pacing on this album is great, there's never really a weak or boring spot on this album. All in all, no filler. Just brilliant 1990's Motörhead. Highlights: On Your Feet or On Your Knees, Burner, Liar, Lost in the Ozone.

I give this album a 90/100.

Here is my recommended track, "Born to Raise Hell"

4. Overkill (1979)
motorhead_-_1979_overkill.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud. So good I can't believe it, screamin' with the crowd. Don't sweat it, get it back to you. Don't sweat it, get it back to you. OVERKILL, OVERKILL, OVERKILL. On your feet you feel the beat, it goes straight to your spine. Shake your head, you must be dead if it don't make you fly. Don't sweat it, get it back to you. Don't sweat it, get it back to you. OVERKILL, OVERKILL, OVERKILL. Know your body's made to move, feel it in your guts. Rock 'n' roll ain't worth the name if it don't make you strut. Don't sweat it, get it back to you. Don't sweat it, get it back to you. OVERKILL, OVERKILL, OVERKILL. Highlights: Overkill, Overkill, Overkill, Overkill.

I give this album a 94/100.

Here is my recommended track, "Overkill"

Voted, Ace of Spades. I thought it was 3 votes and tried to also vote Bomber and Iron Fist.

This series is nicely done DJ. :cheers:

Thanks @SinisterMinisterX, it means a lot to me. Yeah I went ahead and changed the number of votes to 5. I liked Bomber, but sometimes the production makes the album feel tiny. Outside of that, the small amount of filler and tight performances makes it a great follow-up to the immensely awesome Overkill (Overkill is the greatest heavy metal song of all time). One of my favorite Motörhead songs is All the Aces :p.

I like my share of Motorhead songs.
But Another Perfect Day is the only album I consider a must-have.
Nice take on it.

3. Orgasmatron (1986)
Motorhead+Orgasmatron.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Orgasmatron is a one of a kind album. Perhaps the heaviest, perhaps the best. Either way, there is no other Motörhead album like it. Just one listen through the album and you can tell, Motörhead employed a wide variety of sub-genres and styles. From the rock 'n' roll swing of "Doctor Rock" to the crushing riffs of "Orgasmatron", Motörhead really out-did themselves here. There are so many good qualities to this album and hardly any negatives. For starters, I love the production. The production is fairly treble heavy, but every member comes through clearly (the bass escepially hammers its way through). To some fans, the treble on the album might be a disadvantage. Still, the album retains a very "1986" feel to it. Which is good, 1986 was a great year for heavy metal and hard rock. The songwriting is catchy and engaging, like Motörhead should be. It's over the top, fun and relatable. I love everything about this album. Highlights: Deaf Forever, Mean Machine, Built For Speed, Orgasmatron.

I give this album a 96/100.

Here is my recommended track, "Ridin' With the Driver"

2. Iron Fist (1982)
678.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Man, what if there was an album that took the charm and grit from Ace of Spades and simply fixed all the flaws and shortcomings of the album?

Enter, Iron Fist.

Basically the perfect Motörhead album. It took everything good from Ace of Spades, and improved it. Motörhead added a wonderful sense of melody to mostly all of their compostitions. The production still has those rough 'n' tough qualities, the songwriting has improved, just... everything about this album is fantastic. Highlights: Iron Fist, I'm the Doctor, Sex and Outrage, America.

I give this album a 97/100.

Here is my recommended track, "(Don't Need) Religion"

1. 1916 (1991)
1284994859_motgrhead-1916-1991.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

I don't want to spoil anything, you NEED to hear this album. This is the big-budget, balls to the wall Motörhead release that has spent years in the making. Absolutely no flaws here at all, only pure Motörhead bliss. Highlights: I'm So Bad (Baby I Don't Care), Love Me Forever, R. A. M. O. N. E. S., 1916.

I give this album a 100/100.

Here is my recommended track, "Going to Brazil"

Back