Worst Iron Maiden Song

You know this conservative-liberal thing has no meaning outside the US, right?

It has meaning everywhere. Perhaps there are different names for the eternal divide between traditionalists and social justice reformers. In any case, I am correct in essence about why people criticize the song. I've seen those criticisms here plenty of times.

I'll also add that Maiden should stay away from any politically charged lyrics. It divides the fans.

In any case, I am correct in essence about why people criticize the song. I've seen those criticisms here plenty of times.
Part of it is due to the execution...the song doesn't sound like it meets the seriousness of the lyrics.

Ironic that the one complaining about people supposedly offended by the lyrics is the same person who actually got offended over Ghost. Seems like projecting to me.

Nothing offensive about Age of Innocence, it's mostly down to the delivery and tone of the song, as LC mentioned. There are some great examples of Maiden showing their age gracefully with their music, even on that same album, but Age of Innocence isn't one of them. It's one of several awkward DoD songs.

Ironic that the one complaining about people supposedly offended by the lyrics is the same person who actually got offended over Ghost. Seems like projecting to me.

Nothing offensive about Age of Innocence, it's mostly down to the delivery and tone of the song, as LC mentioned. There are some great examples of Maiden showing their age gracefully with their music, even on that same album, but Age of Innocence isn't one of them. It's one of several awkward DoD songs.

I'm not complaining about anything, nor am I projecting anything. I have just observed on here and on other forums several people upset about the political content of the song's (Age of Innocence) lyrics. That's just a fact. Otherwise the song is musically inoffensive. Not great, not horrible, just an average-decent Maiden song. Certainly not in "worst" category.

The liberal/conservative/get off my lawn narrative is going over my head I guess. AOI is just a cool song to listen to to me. The lyrics IMO represent a longing for justice and an observation that injustice often prevails, unfortunately. I don't hear "a guy on my lawn gets off to easy in our justice systems"
If an assailant gets a holiday for criminal activity against the innocent, I think we can all agree that sucks.
I definitely consider myself liberal-leaning. But these lyrics don't bother me at all. This is about justice. IMO anyway. I guess I could say those misunderstanding Age of innocence... are annoying..

I dunno. Frankly with the lyrics playing right into conservative talking points it's hard to take the song at face value. It feels like politics being forced into something they don't need to be in, and I honestly felt the same way when I first really thought about the lyrics of ATSS and saw the video.

The liberal/conservative/get off my lawn narrative is going over my head I guess. AOI is just a cool song to listen to to me. The lyrics IMO represent a longing for justice and an observation that injustice often prevails, unfortunately. I don't hear "a guy on my lawn gets off to easy in our justice systems"
If an assailant gets a holiday for criminal activity against the innocent, I think we can all agree that sucks.
I definitely consider myself liberal-leaning. But these lyrics don't bother me at all. This is about justice. IMO anyway. I guess I could say those misunderstanding Age of innocence... are annoying..

The lyrics were partly inspired by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

The main problem with the lyrics is that they read as superficial tabloid crap, without the kind of deeper thoughts the particular topic in question would require.

I remember two pictures posted at the official website around the time of the A Matter of Life and Death tour. Steve was reading the Daily Mail (the caption said something along the lines of "A Mail man") and Bruce was reading The Independent (the caption said something along the lines "An Independent man").

Edit: Even without the captions the photos spoke volumes if you ask me...

Last edited:
Perhaps there are different names for the eternal divide between traditionalists and social justice reformers.

If there is such an eternal divide, it's for people who like to antagonise by sticking labels on themselves and their opponents instead of appreciating that there are more shades than black and white.

If there is such an eternal divide, it's for people who like to antagonise by sticking labels on themselves and their opponents instead of appreciating that there are more shades than black and white.

Of course there are shades, but the divide I described is real and is everywhere. I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

It's not the lyrics that kill Age of Innocence. You don't have to agree with the lyrical content to like a song. For example, I love 22 Acacia Ave., but I find beating and mistreating women absolutely abhorrent.

Back