Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

v4Cneif.jpg

lol

I wonder how they would feel if people in brown shirts stood outside holding signs saying "Don't support Nazis".

Aren't Aryans supposed to be from there somewhere, like Iran? Close enough :)
Actually I picked up this image on the discussion about tourist-class Chinese doing nazi salutes in Germany

Aren't Aryans supposed to be from there somewhere, like Iran? Close enough :)

It's more complicated than this. "a(i)rya-" is the self-designation of a particular branch of the Indo-European family that first distinctly appeared in Central Asia in c. 1500 BCE, give or take three centuries or more. This group, which is now commonly called the "Indo-Iranian" branch of the Indo-European family, split into three branches sometime thereafter, one migrating southeastwards into the Indian subcontinent, now known as the Indo-Aryans, one trickling into the valleys of northern Afghanistan and Pakistan (the Nuristani) and one staying in the area, with parts gradually migrating westwards, who came to be known as the Iranians. The terminology is problematic and confusing; "Iran" is just a later development of the word "airiya-".
People nowadays mock the Nazis for relating themselves to Persians and Indians, but there is a historical reason why the term Aryan was popular in this realm. The term "Aryan" as a self-designation of the Indo-Iranians was discovered at around the same time it was recognised that the Indians and Iranians were genetically (in a linguistic sense) related to the European language families, hence the term Indo-European was born; this was in around 1800. It was for a long time believed that the Indian Vedas, where the term "arya" first appears, were the oldest Indo-European texts, and since the word "arya" is similar to "Éire", which is the ancient self-designation of the Celtic Irish, it was believed that "Aryan" was the word that the original Indo-Europeans used as their name. This was conclusively disproven in 1877, but by that time, the theory had already received wide publication and was picked up by intellectuals such as Gobineau and Chamberlain, who used the term to refer to the white race (what is now called Caucasian), and further argued that the Indians and Iranians became racially degenerated because of their contacts with Turks, Arabs and others, while the Germanic branch in particular kept its racial purity to their day. This racial theory later received occultistic and esoteric additions, especially when the original homeland of the Aryans was made out to be Atlantis, and we know where all this eventually ended up. What's important to note in my view, is that the whole "Aryan race" shit got its impact on popular culture and eventually politics long after it had already been rejected and abandoned by scientists and scholars.
There's a lot more I could write about this, but I'll leave it at that.

I just love it when the newspapers plaster "HELLISH SUMMERS WILL LAST TILL 2022" all over front pages, yet weather forecast can't even predict rain one day in advance. Fake news IMO.

I just love it when the newspapers plaster "HELLISH SUMMERS WILL LAST TILL 2022" all over front pages, yet weather forecast can't even predict rain one day in advance. Fake news IMO.
All except for The Express, who are probably forecasting snow, gales and a terrible winter. Plus a drop in house prices.

Brave New World is both better than I remember it and at the same time just as mediocre. The individual songs are mostly fine, but as a whole it's just meh. Still, it's proof that Maiden has never made a bad album, it still stands head and shoulders above many by other artists, and I'll say this for it, it can nonetheless draw you in. Still, it's the most mediocre of all of Maiden's albums.

Back