The Official Maidenfans.com Rankings results (2004-2016)

Based on the rankings, the best song on each album is as follows....

IM - Phantom of the Opera
Killers - Killers
NOTB - Hallowed be Thy Name
POM - To Tame a Land
PS - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
SIT - Alexander the Great
SSOASS - Infinite Dreams
NPFTD - Run Silent, Run Deep
FOTD - Fear of the Dark
XF - Sign of the Cross
VXI - The Clansman
BNW - Blood Brothers/Ghost of the Navigator (tied)
DOD - Paschendale
AMOLAD - Brighter than a thousand suns
TFF - Starblind
TBOS - The Book of Souls

How was that rank built? I once did it in an Excel sheet. I ranked all Maiden songs by my personal taste. I thought I was the only one who actually do this in the spare time. Hahaha

Agree with Foro. But then I do have a tendency for non-conforming views on most things.

I have my own taste, and Maiden songs are no different. The Talisman will always be a better song than Hallowed and Phantom in my book. We shall not even mention Paschendale. No unanimous rankings will convince me otherwise.

What about a serious critical look at a forgotten song like Childhood's End?

Its forgotten because its nowhere as good as Phantom, Hallowed or Paschendale. While it ain't a bad song at all, it certainly is not in the top drawer. I'm listenin to it now and the riff in the instrumental before the solo is class. In fact, like a lot of Maiden material, it is so much better when Bruce is not singin. And actually, the flow from it to Wasting Love is a fabulous progression, never quite realised it til just now. Perfect flow. Still, it is not in the same league as the aforementioned songs.

My love won't bend and I should gladfully let it rest that people don't see good things in several albums and dozens of songs out here.
There is a very good reason why your posts have made frequent appearances in the comments I chose to highlight - because you often have a way of looking at things that not everyone does, and it is proof that even though we might like some stuff differently indeed, this band is special because there's so much different content, all with the same underpinnings, and some of it does appeal to someone!

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from writing one. Indeed, I strongly encourage it!

How was that rank built? I once did it in an Excel sheet. I ranked all Maiden songs by my personal taste. I thought I was the only one who actually do this in the spare time. Hahaha
The first post explains where the numbers have come from.

The Talisman will always be a better song than Hallowed and Phantom in my book.
Everyone has a different book - the purpose of these rankings was to put everyone's books together and see what the aggregate is, not to tell people what to think or feel. I might think someone's crazy if they say their favourite Iron Maiden song, is, say, The Assassin, but they have every right to give it a 10 and tell people how epic they think it is. They just can't be surprised when they are in the - ahem - minority.

Based on the rankings, the best song on each album is as follows....

IM - Phantom of the Opera
Killers - Killers
NOTB - Hallowed be Thy Name
POM - To Tame a Land
PS - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
SIT - Alexander the Great
SSOASS - Infinite Dreams
NPFTD - Run Silent, Run Deep
FOTD - Fear of the Dark
XF - Sign of the Cross
VXI - The Clansman
BNW - Blood Brothers/Ghost of the Navigator (tied)
DOD - Paschendale
AMOLAD - Brighter than a thousand suns
TFF - Starblind
TBOS - The Book of Souls

Interesting that the epics are consistently voted the best on the album, and the exceptions prove the rule in that killers and no prayer don't really have epics and the other albums where "the" epic doesn't win, the song that does win is "kind of" an epic

Ok for Killers, but what about "Mother Russia"?

I was internally debating that, it's certainly structured like an epic, but it's only 5.30, that's shorter than the hit single off Powerslave!

EDIT: there's probably quite a few "singles" that are longer than it now that I think about it

Last edited:
usually, the 6 minute mark is a requirement for it to be an epic.... along with some kind of extended or unique intro, multiple time changes, ect...

Back