The Official Maidenfans.com Rankings results (2004-2016)

In my case, the songs on The Final Frontier that were co-written by Adrian Smith are aging very well, the rest not so much.

I am far more than a casual Maiden fan, but 'The Final Frontier' has never settled with me. Even six years on I can't get stuck into it. I struggled with 'A Matter of Life and Death' at first but a couple of years later I grew to love it, but not its successor.

had it in the car all last week, great album, I can nitpick about a few things on the first couple of tracks, i.e. el dorado could do with backing vocals on the chorus, mother of mercy has terrible grammar, but other than that it's excellent. Isle of Avalon and Starblind must be the highest standard "overlooked" tracks on any Maiden album.

Ok that all ranks diverges a lot from one's personal taste, but I can't stand Starblind as the best TFF song. For me, TFF is the album with the largest gap between the top songs and the worse ones (i.e, should have the largest "deviance"). It has two groups of 5 songs which I would label the first one as potential greatest hits (Wind Blows, Talisman, Coming Home, El Dorado, Final Frontier). The other group - featuring Starblind - brought the album's level down severely.

Despite that, the rank is awesome. Loved "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" in the top 20.

This is one of the disputes I've long held with the rest of this forum - I would put it as the worst or second worst song on the album. Indeed, I think my dislike for this and Isle of Avalon leave me liking this album much less than the rest of the forum. It's probably my least favourite reunion album, and one of my least favourites overall.

I am far more than a casual Maiden fan, but 'The Final Frontier' has never settled with me. Even six years on I can't get stuck into it. I struggled with 'A Matter of Life and Death' at first but a couple of years later I grew to love it, but not its successor.

Agree. I have a weird relationship to it. The title track is according to my last.fm statistics the Maiden song I listed the most to, ever. I like it, but the album is one of my least favorite Maiden albums.

had it in the car all last week, great album, I can nitpick about a few things on the first couple of tracks, i.e. el dorado could do with backing vocals on the chorus, mother of mercy has terrible grammar, but other than that it's excellent. Isle of Avalon and Starblind must be the highest standard "overlooked" tracks on any Maiden album.

I quite like it. Probably not as good as AMOLAD (in my personal top 5 of Maiden albums) or TBOS, but a very solid album with some outstanding tracks. Way better than anything they released during the 90s.

I quite like it, but it's the understated, different album. I was very glad they didn't end their career on it, going out with a bit of a whisper. (Or a muted, synthetic, wild wind sound effect, for that matter).

TFF has definitely aged the worst for me. At first, I really liked it and enjoyed the proggy aspects, but now it just sounds confused and disjointed and not very catchy.

I quite like it, but it's the understated, different album. I was very glad they didn't end their career on it, going out with a bit of a whisper. (Or a muted, synthetic, wild wind sound effect, for that matter).
I remember there was talk when the album came out about whether Wild Wind would be a good swan song for the band and most people seemed to agree at the time, probably wouldn't be the case now.

Personally, and this might be controversial, I think Wild Wind would make a much better final statement than Empire of the Clouds. I want the very last Iron Maiden song to be a Harris number, it's the only appropriate option.

TFF has definitely aged the worst for me. At first, I really liked it and enjoyed the proggy aspects, but now it just sounds confused and disjointed and not very catchy.
I listened to TFF just the other day and my main problem was that it sounded tired. A few generic tunes, probably Bruce's worst vocal performance since the reunion, and a sort of bland production. It almost sounds like they're running out of gas. No wonder they decided to do a third Maiden England leg instead of making another album. Might've been the best choice after all.

I listened to TFF just the other day and my main problem was that it sounded tired. A few generic tunes, probably Bruce's worst vocal performance since the reunion, and a sort of bland production. It almost sounds like they're running out of gas. No wonder they decided to do a third Maiden England leg instead of making another album. Might've been the best choice after all.

I can definitely hear all of that. It sounds both new and very old at the same time, like they're copying themselves and then saying, "But how do we make it radically different?" but then only getting about halfway there. And yeah, Bruce's voice is certainly weak. I feel like the album sounds incredibly rushed, both in composition and performance.

It sounds both new and very old at the same time, like they're copying themselves and then saying, "But how do we make it radically different?"
Yes but I do appreciate that aspect of it. Especially knowing it's not the last album, I like it as a way to wrap up the last 10 years.

Bruce does sound strained on a lot of 'The Final Frontier'. There's too many long songs on that album, something that devalues the "epics" in my opinion as there's just too many of them.

TFF was the first Maiden album I heard, with WTWWB being the song that got me into metal. So it has a special place in my heart, but going back to listen to it now wears me out. It's such a slog.

Also, watching interviews following the release of it, it's clear that the band weren't as proud of it compared to other albums prior to it, and now since. This particular documentary shows they weren't as enthused by it, Adrian in particular.

TFF will be the "cult classic" of the reunion era. Prog fans will continue to love it, but casuals and more straightforward Metal fans will point to BNW and TBOS as peak reunion Maiden.

I agree with this assessment. I love TFF because I'm a prog-head, and TFF is Maiden's most progressive album, in my opinion (with exceptions like the title track). Starblind and Isle of Avalon both blow my mind. Such mature Maiden.

I understand why some Maiden fans don't like it so much, though. I really expected The Book of Souls to continue in a prog direction and was initially disappointed that it was more "conventional" Maiden. But that's also great in the end.

I mean, TFF isn't a perfect album, but the good outweighs the bad. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, El Dorado, Isle of Avalon, The Talisman, and When The Wild Wind Blows are enough to make it a favorite.

I remember there was talk when the album came out about whether Wild Wind would be a good swan song for the band and most people seemed to agree at the time, probably wouldn't be the case now.

Personally, and this might be controversial, I think Wild Wind would make a much better final statement than Empire of the Clouds. I want the very last Iron Maiden song to be a Harris number, it's the only appropriate option.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want EOTC to be their swansong either, although at least it's sufficiently grandiose, Wild Wind just trickled out. I dread the thought of Steve deliberately trying to pen Maiden's swansong (see my opinion of The Red and the Black for what happens when Steve tries to stick every trick in the book into one song). I'd far rather a song just happened, and then it clicked as the perfect final word of Maiden. Maybe they already have one, come to think of it.

I dread the thought of Steve deliberately trying to pen Maiden's swansong (see my opinion of The Red and the Black for what happens when Steve tries to stick every trick in the book into one song).
Well he did succeed with that one. :ninja:

Seriously though, I think Empire is a far better conclusion to the band, but that said I still want new Maiden so maybe they'll have a better one lined up down the road. As it is though, if EOTC is the final song, I'll still be happy; if TBOS is the final album, I'll be disappointed. Love the album, but I feel that they're still one step away from perfect with their 21st century albums. As I've said before, each of them has been better than the last, and TBOS was so great I think the next one, if they have one, and I hope they will, will be even better. But who knows?

Dredging this thread up again because, for added comparison, I went around the internet and, fueled by a mix of curiosity and TMTOMH (Too Much Time On My Hands), compiled a list myself of greatest Maiden songs. This is not a personal list, I used a shitload of others from all spectrums of the internet - YouTube, blogs, forums, etc., and this is what I've come up with. Spoiler tag because this is gonna be a fucking huge post.

50. The Talisman
Rank in the Official Rankings: 52 ▲2
This song was not in the Top 50 within the official rankings list, but is #50 itself in the one I've tallied up, which I'm glad of because I think it's worthy. I know Loudwire loves this song, it was #9 on their Maiden Top 10 and #4 on their list of Top 50 Metal Songs of the 21st Century (though during their recent tournament they went for The Wicker Man instead).

49. No More Lies
Rank in the Official Rankings: 69 ▲20
This song I'm surprised to see because I thought I saw some opinions on it that were quite negative, and it hasn't left much of an impression on me, though I admit I have been meaning to give it another listen. Still, it's in the Top 50 so that must mean something.

48. These Colours Don't Run
Rank in the Official Rankings: 44 ▼4
This one's a little lower, but not by much. I've seen many consider it one of the all-time greats of the band's 21st century material, so it's no wonder it's here.

47. Ghost of the Navigator
Rank in the Official Rankings: 19 ▼28
Now we're talking differences. This song was #19 in the rankings and #15 this year alone when I tallied up this site's votes earlier on. I'm fine with the placing though because it's not a song that's really impressed me, but still, wow.

46. The Clansman
Rank in the Official Rankings: 15 ▼31
An even more significant drop, this is one of the only two songs from the Blaze era that are in the Top 50. (You know what the other is, I hope.) I think the fact that this song is #46 speaks volumes about what most people think of the Blaze era, but I am a little sad because I personally love the song. Oh well.

45. For the Greater Good of God
Rank in the Official Rankings: 23 ▼22
Another drop, but this one I'm okay with because I think that while the song is good, it's not the best thing the band has ever made. Hey, disagree with me all you want, but at least it's still on the list. AMOLAD has been treated well by the wider internet.

44. When The Wild Wind Blows
Rank in the Official Rankings: 41 ▼3
This time it's a much smaller drop. Apparently a lot of people consider this song a classic Maiden epic album closer, and I'm not one to disagree.

43. Out of the Silent Planet
Rank in the Official Rankings: 71 ▲28
Finally we've got a song again that's actually higher than on the Official Rankings list, and I'm rather glad it's this one because this is one of the best songs on BNW. Glad that others seem to agree.

42. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Rank in the Official Rankings: 54 ▲12
Another AMOLAD song, this is possibly my favorite from the album (though others might disagree), so I'm glad it's here. Possibly people were enticed by the band's promotional campaign of this song and, given that it didn't disappoint, have ranked it higher than they would other songs from the album, but I can't say for certain. Possibly it's just a good song, who knows?

41. Transylvania
Rank in the Official Rankings: 52 ▲11
This is the only instrumental in the Top 50, and while I'd personally rather have had something like Genghis Khan or Losfer Words, I can't say I'm too surprised and I doubt most people would be too, because it's a surprisingly popular instrumental (I believe WatchMojo.com even ranked it #10 on their list of best metal instrumentals... which is too low because if you're gonna put Maiden on a list, it better be higher than 10!).

40. Running Free
Rank in the Official Rankings: 110 ▲70
Now this is a big fucking jump. A whole 70 slots higher than on the Official Rankings, good lord! It seems lots of people elsewhere see something in this song that a lot of people on here don't, I dunno. Or maybe UCR's ranking it at #7 on their Maiden Top 10 influenced others, I dunno. One thing I will say: it's crazy.

39. Can I Play With Madness
Rank in the Official Rankings: 118 ▲79
Holy shit, this one's an even bigger jump! Though this time it's understandable, given that fact that it's a single and because, fuck you, it's an awesome song.

38. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Rank in the Official Rankings: 36 ▼2
This one's only down by two points, which is okay but I disagree with both of its placements because it's a good song, nay a great one. In fact, a lot of people on the interwebs consider it to one of the Maiden's greatest yet most underrated songs, but still, couldn't you have pulled it up higher than 38?

37. Killers
Rank in the Official Rankings: 17 ▼20
Apparently a lot of people consider this to be an underrated song. Really? This one seems to be one of the band's most popular from the Di'Anno era. Though it's a full twenty slots lower than in the Official Rankings, it's still on the list, so I disagree with anyone who says it's underrated. It's not. ATSS I'll be lenient with. Not Killers.

36. The Longest Day
Rank in the Official Rankings: 50 ▲16
What was #50 itself in the Official Rankings is #36 on this list. I may have spoken too soon when I said the internet has treated AMOLAD well, because this is actually the highest song off the album on here. Oh well.

35. Wrathchild
Rank in the Official Rankings: 73 ▲38
Another song that's higher up, this one may not be one of the greatest on this forum, but elsewhere it's considered to be one of Maiden's greatest songs ever. Offhand, WM ranked it #8 on their list and UCR ranked it #2. It's only this place that seems to disagree.

34. Brave New World
Rank in the Official Rankings: 41 ▲7
I honestly don't know what everyone sees in this song for it to be all the way at #34, except maybe the chorus, but it's pretty damn repetitive, and we know what people think about repetitive songs (TAATG comes to mind...).

33. Where Eagles Dare
Rank in the Official Rankings: 31 ▼2
This one's only lower by two slots, and I think it's perfectly fine because the range is perfectly accurate to what I'd hope for on a Maiden list. It's a good song.

32. The Prisoner
Rank in the Official Rankings: 43 ▲11
If there's one album from Maiden that the internet loves with a passion, it's - surprise, surprise! - The Number of the Beast. Every song on the album, except for Invaders, Gangland, and Total Eclipse, is in the Top 50 (Invaders still ended up in the Top 100 though). The lowest of the 'good' songs, I guess you could say, is The Prisoner. I'm a little surprised, but not much, given that 22 and Children are such good songs too.

31. Still Life
Rank in the Official Rankings: 28 ▼3
I'm a little surprised by how popular this song really is, but I can't say I'm not thrilled about it. This, to me, is the Infinite Dreams of POM, and I'm still waiting to see it in an overall Top 10, not because I think it's a Top 10 song in my personal list, but because I think it's about time it got its due and landed top marks.

30. Starblind
Rank in the Official Rankings: 27 ▼3
No one is likely surprised that this is the highest song off of TFF on here, though I must admit that I don't see what's so great about this song. The lyrics are great, but they just don't fit the music that well. But hey, apparently a lot of people disagree.

29. 22 Acacia Avenue
Rank in the Official Rankings: 39 ▲10
Another TNOTB song, this one I don't think I'd personally rank so highly, but nonetheless, this is a great anti-prostitution song that I think people out to crack out next time they start campaigns against the 'occupation'.

28. Blood Brothers
Rank in the Official Rankings: 19 ▼9
Not surprised this song is here, given that it seems to be a definite fan favorite. I personally find it a highlight of the album.

27. Moonchild
Rank in the Official Rankings: 26 ▼1
This song is only lower by one slot, not too surprising because it's a definite highlight of the album (that opening!).

26. The Clairvoyant
Rank in the Official Rankings: 60 ▲34
This one, however, is much higher than in the Official Rankings. Surprised it's over Moonchild, because I'd consider this my second least favorite off the album (after The Prophecy, which isn't here).

25. Stranger In A Strange Land
Rank in the Official Rankings: 45 ▲20
This song is one of the most popular songs on SIT (it's my least favorite, but still one of the best songs Maiden has ever made), so I can't be surprised it's on this list. Wouldn't have expected it all the way at 25 though, but there you have it.

24. The Wicker Man
Rank in the Official Rankings: 34 ▲10
This is the highest song from BNW on here, and I'm not surprised because it's also one of the most popular songs of the reunion era as well. I'd almost have expected it higher.

23. To Tame A Land
Rank in the Official Rankings: 18 ▼5
How the fuck is this song #23. (I know I know, personal opinion. But still.)

22. Revelations
Rank in the Official Rankings: 5 ▼17
I'm a little better with this song being #22 given how high it was on the Official Rankings. It's interesting how popular this song is within the rest of the internet actually.

21. Flight of Icarus
Rank in the Official Rankings: 61 ▲40
Holy shit, I just realized that this is three POM songs in a row. This song is a very popular one, given that it was a single most likely and helped the band break into the States. Or because it's just a good song. Probably that. C'mon, Steve, you've got a hit on your hands, start playing it again!

20. Sign of the Cross
Rank in the Official Rankings: 7 ▼13
This song isn't in my personal Top 20, however, it deserves to be in the overall Top 10. Come on people.

19. 2 Minutes To Midnight
Rank in the Official Rankings: 48 ▲29
This song has slipped down in my list, but apparently not for most people. Could it be because of THAT RIFF? Who knows? Personally I'm thinking the Demon's seed has something to do with it, but IDK.

18. Children of the Damned
Rank in the Official Rankings: 13 ▼5
I'm a little surprised by this song's popularity, but I've given it another listen and I've found that it's seemingly 'bare bones' structure is great, and coupled to the fact that it's a song on TNOTB, I'm not surprised anymore.

17. Fear of the Dark
Rank in the Official Rankings: 22 ▲5
This song is one of the best examples of a 'fan favorite' in all of metal. Which is why I'm surprised it's only #17. I've seen lists where it's #1 and #3, so how it managed to get #17 on here is beyo- wait, actually that might be because of those lists where it was #45 and such, never mind, I understand.

16. Alexander the Great
Rank in the Official Rankings: 30 ▲14
Really, lads, it's about time ya played it live.

15. Dance of Death
Rank in the Official Rankings: 19 ▲4
I admit, I enjoy listening to this song, but I've never figured out how it's one of the most popular in Maiden history, with some claiming it's better than fucking Paschendale. I mean, Pashenfuckingdale. That's better. Anyways, DOD, good song, overrated.

14. The Evil That Men Do
Rank in the Official Rankings: 38 ▲24
Too low.

13. Run to the Hills
Rank in the Official Rankings: 82 ▲69
I doubt anyone's surprised this song is so high. I personally am glad it is, but most probably disagree with me.

12. Caught Somewhere In Time
Rank in the Official Rankings: 39 ▲27
Love the song, but it's this popular? Wow!

11. Infinite Dreams
Rank in the Official Rankings: 8 ▼3
This one's a little lower than it is in the rankings, which is a shame because it honestly could get #5 in my mind. Still, a very nice placement overall.

10. Aces High
Rank in the Official Rankings: 10 ◄0
The first song on here that's got the same placement as on the rankings list. Aces High is so good it got #10 both times. Yep, it deserves it.

9. The Number of the Beast
Rank in the Official Rankings: 23 ▲14
All of the four songs everyone knows from Maiden first (Hallowed, Trooper, Number, and Run) are in the Top 10 (except for Run). TNOTB deserves the ninth place even if it's only because of that SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck yeah!

8. Phantom of the Opera
Rank in the Official Rankings: 2 ▼6
Phantom is only one of the four greatest Maiden songs (Hallowed, Rime, Powerslave, and Phantom) on here apparently. Elsewhere, it's still considered one of the best.

7. Paschendale
Rank in the Official Rankings: 6 ▼1
I'm not even gonna say anything about this song because I'm still getting over LC's vivid review. This is the highest song of the 21st century, let's keep it at that.

6. Wasted Years
Rank in the Official Rankings: 34 ▲28
This song deserves this ranking. It just does.

5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Rank in the Official Rankings: 13 ▲8
I'm a little surprised at how high this one is, but at the same time, it's a popular song, plus that instrumental section is awesome.

4. Powerslave
Rank in the Official Rankings: 4 ◄0
I've always been surprised at this song's popularity, yet I find that a good thing. It's a favorite of myself as well. Deserves the #4 spot.

3. The Trooper
Rank in the Official Rankings: 12 ▲9
Only a site like Maidenfans.com would have kept this song out of the Top 10.

2. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Rank in the Official Rankings: 3 ▲1
Dammit, I was hoping it would actually get #1 this time.

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
Rank in the Official Rankings: 1 ◄0
What the hell were you expecting.

Again, this list that I've tallied up is mainly for comparison purposes. Here's the rest of the Top 100 BTW:

51. Iron Maiden
52. Isle of Avalon
53. Sea of Madness
54. Coming Home
55. Lord of Light
56. Strange World
57. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
58. Heaven Can Wait
59. Prowler
60. Murders In The Rue Morgue
61. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
62. Deja Vu
63. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
64. No Prayer For The Dying
65. Empire of the Clouds
66. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
67. Judas Be My Guide
68. Fates Warning
69. Only The Good Die Young
70. Remember Tomorrow
71. Flash of the Blade
72. Different World
73. The Legacy
74. Rainmaker
75. Out of the Shadows
76. Die With Your Boots On
77. Tailgunner
78. Futureal
79. Dream of Mirrors
80. The Book of Souls
81. The Red and the Black
82. If Eternity Should Fail
83. Be Quick or Be Dead
84. Lord of the Flies
85. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
86. Drifter
87. Invaders
88. Genghis Khan
89. Virus
90. Run Silent Run Deep
91. That Girl
92. El Dorado
93. Holy Smoke
94. Sanctuary
95. Childhood's End
96. Back In The Village
97. Speed of Light
98. Public Enema Number One
99. The Duellists
100. Burning Ambition

Goddamn, this took fucking forever to type.

Back