The Official Maidenfans.com Rankings results (2004-2016)

Personally, I find the "Overall" spoiler tag very convenient. ;)

My suggestion would be to include all the non-album tracks in the poll (if "Sanctuary" is here, so should be "I Live My Way" or "Invasion"... it is strange to take the 98 remasters for "canon" work) as long as they are not covers...even though some of them are a bit "recreational" ("Sheriff...", "More Tea Vicar", "Nodding...").

Anyway, thank you for running this thread and for your interesting syntheses. :)

Sheriff might be regarded as an Urchin cover though

2: Phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden (Harris)
As a huge fan of the Di'anno era I'm happy Phantom made it that high. And it well illustrates the potential of the Harris / Willcock / Wapram / Moore / Purkis line-up which wrote this song 40 years ago.

As a huge fan of the Di'anno era I'm happy Phantom made it that high. And it well illustrates the potential of the Harris / Willcock / Wapram / Moore / Purkis line-up which wrote this song 40 years ago.

To me very obviously written by a keyboard player ;)

The first post was updated.

And now, album analyses:

Album ranking by song rating averaged
1 - 8.56 Powerslave
2 - 8.54 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
3 - 8.48. A Matter of Life and Death
4 - 8.44 Somewhere in Time
5 - 8.31 Piece of Mind
6 - 8.29 Brave New World
7 - 8.26 The Number of the Beast
8 - 8.20 The Final Frontier
9 - 8.08 The Book of Souls
10 - 7.89 The X Factor
11 - 7.88 Iron Maiden
12 - 7.84 Killers
13 - 7.73 Dance of Death
14 - 7.48 Virtual XI
15 - 6.67 No Prayer For the Dying
16 - 6.53 Fear of the Dark

Album ranking by average song deviance
  1. 0.64 The Final Frontier
  2. 0.79 A Matter of Life and Death
  3. 0.95 The Number of the Beast
  4. 0.99 Piece of Mind
  5. 1.01 Somewhere in Time
  6. 1.12 Brave New World
  7. 1.25 Powerslave
  8. 1.28 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  9. 1.47 Dance of Death
  10. 1.50 Iron Maiden
  11. 1.61 Killers
  12. 1.93 The X Factor
  13. 1.95 Fear of the Dark
  14. 2.07 Virtual XI
  15. 2.11 No Prayer For the Dying
n/a The Book of Souls

Album ranking by total Trophy Points
  1. 273 Powerslave
  2. 247 Piece of Mind
  3. 227 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  4. 215 The Number of the Beast
  5. 206 Dance of Death
  6. 177 Brave New World
  7. 165 The X Factor
  8. 161 Iron Maiden
  9. 128 A Matter of Life and Death
  10. 127 Somewhere in Time
  11. 141 Killers
  12. 80 Fear of the Dark
  13. 79 The Final Frontier
  14. 68 Virtual XI
  15. 41 No Prayer For the Dying
  16. 24 The Book of Souls

Album ranking by Trophy Points Per Song/Year
  1. 3.79 Powerslave
  2. 3.15 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  3. 3.05 Piece of Mind
  4. 2.65 The Number of the Beast
  5. 2.18 The Book of Souls
  6. 2.13 A Matter of Life and Death
  7. 2.08 Dance of Death
  8. 1.99 Iron Maiden
  9. 1.97 Brave New World
  10. 1.76 Somewhere in Time
  11. 1.67 The X Factor
  12. 1.58 The Final Frontier
  13. 1.42 Killers
  14. 0.76 Virtual XI
  15. 0.74 Fear of the Dark
  16. 0.45 No Prayer For the Dying

Last edited:
I will join in the thanks to LooseCannon for the huge effort in compiling this. This really has been a good read on boring lunch breaks.

Amazing job, LooseCannon, but I translated the results to an excel in order to keep them and I found out that somehow you got some errors in your analysis.

By my count the mark by song rating averaged is:

8.48 for A Matter of life and Death

and

7.88 for Iron Maiden.

Maybe you have lost some cells to mae the average. Greetings.

Amazing job, LooseCannon, but I translated the results to an excel in order to keep them and I found out that somehow you got some errors in your analysis.

By my count the mark by song rating averaged is:

8.48 for A Matter of life and Death

and

7.88 for Iron Maiden.

Maybe you have lost some cells to mae the average. Greetings.
By gosh, you're right. Somehow I have set those up in my spreadsheet for the 2016 results, rather than the global results.

I have corrected the final (and first) post with this. I knew it was wrong that AMOLAD was so low, instead it is (properly) the third most popular album, just under SSOASS and nicely above SIT.

Wow, amazing work. (As you probably could have guessed?), the only top 10 song that would make my own list is Sign of the Cross, but I'm fascinated by the list anyways. The ones that hurt the most are Paschendale (which I think is a dull song) and The Talisman (which should be top 10, any day of the week). Cheers!

This is worth stickying IMO @LooseCannon . It's a nice document of forum history and it would be a shame for this to be buried with other old threads. I've already gone back to it as a reference several times.

This is worth stickying IMO @LooseCannon . It's a nice document of forum history and it would be a shame for this to be buried with other old threads. I've already gone back to it as a reference several times.
I couldn't agree more, this is one I'm going to be rereading again and again. Excellent stuff.

Also, this happens to be post #800 in this thread - for a list, that's pretty impressive. Proves that this one's 'not like the others' - it's better.

It is an amazing work but I doubt if I want to come back to it again and again. After all these years I have learned I look pretty different at Maiden's material from the average member here. I saw some odd surprises in this list, as mentioned, but I have also seen the zillionth negative reviews and comments on unpopular songs. Some have been beaten to death years ago and still people take joy in trapping on their maligned corpses. I sure hope people don't (want to) get confirmed too much in their negative judgement when they keep coming back at this. Then again, we are all different, so why should I care about someone else's negative view? Not my loss, is it? It is not easy to change my attitude, because I feel some songs have had harsh criticism and lack of love and interest for what's special about these songs. But it is worth trying. I have defended them with enough passion. My love won't bend and I should gladfully let it rest that people don't see good things in several albums and dozens of songs out here.

Last edited:
Back