Musical prejudice

To be honest, aren't most metal covers? :D No wonder non metal-listening people have prejudice towards metal...the covers are always over the top ridiculous.

But that used to be the selling point back in the pre internet days didn't it. The more outrageous cover you had on the album the better and the more metal the music was, surely :D

You can be outrageous and still have a good album cover though. Maiden has by far the best album covers in metal and I'm sure that was a pretty good marketing tactic for them back in the day. Killers and 666 have pretty "out there" covers, striking, but still great.

I'm sure that was a pretty good marketing tactic for them back in the day.

Yes and not just Maiden. to sell Metal records back in the day one of the tactics was to have a bigger, better, more bad-ass cover than the next band. You wanted people to pick up your album and not the next bands....If you could throw some cool over the top cover art on your album that was part of selling copies.

The interesting thing is the resistance/backlash to that which is so common in metal nowadays which is all about vagueness and bland images and lettering meant to look artistic and deep.

That was only for one album though. What I'm saying is, if I see a recommendation for a one man project (and it's not someone well-known), I'm not likely to check it out.

Back