1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical prejudice

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Resurrection!

I can't stand songs that are about metal or rock, or have "metal" or "rock" in the titles. Metal this, metal that, rocking this or that. There are obviously exceptions, but mostly in early stages of metal. Most of the new stuff is terrible and cheesy. Like Helloween's "Are You Metal" which I was listening to few minutes ago and which inspired me to post this.

2. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Metal Gods being at least one exception I hope?

3. Night Prowler

Yeah, Priest is an exception to the rule. Metal Meltdown is also cool.

Cheesy crap: Heavy Metal Universe and To The Metal by Gamma Ray and Sabaton's Metal songs.

Prejudice part is that when I wanna check out something new and see that the band has stupid titles about metal / rock and nothing else, I pretty much just skip it. It's unoriginal and boring.

4. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Y u no like Metal Crue? :'(

I've never liked to see 'rock' in the title of a song, though.

5. Night Prowler

Lyrics speak for themselves :p

6. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

That whole Rock in Rio thing sounds pretty flaps too...

7. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Many lyrics has been thrown together. :p

8. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I like Metal Crüe. I think songs with rock/metal in the title are fun as long as they don't take themselves to seriously. When Helloween and Gamma Ray do it it just feels like yet another Judas Priest ripoff.

Brigantium likes this.
  9. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely despise this. It sucks because a lot of classic metal albums (Kill Em All) have a few songs like this and they are instantly my least favourite songs just because of the subject matter.

10. Night Prowler

Bump.

I don't wanna listen to an album that has one song title for all songs, just with different numbers at the end. Example: this band who only uses titles like that <_<

11. MrKnickerbocker

I tend to agree, except with Fates Warning A Pleasant Shade of Grey, which is absolutely brilliant.

12. Mosh

Actually, that was the first one that came to mind with NP's post. I get that they wanted to stress that it's a single piece, but if they were going to track parts separately it would've helped to give them real names. Otherwise they should've gone the Green Carnation route and just make it one track.

13. MrKnickerbocker

Yeah, ideally I would love each track to have a name (at least a subtitle), but it's not going to deter from my enjoyment of the piece.

14. Mosh

Well I don't really like it that much to begin with, but there are certain moments throughout that I enjoy and would listen to more if I knew what they were called.

15. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

I don't like 1 track albums. It's OK if the songs sequence into each other but one long 60 min track or whatever really puts me off from listening to it....

16. Mosh

Just thought of one:
    Metallica songs with Unforgiven in the title.

17. Night Prowler

All 3 are awesome.

18. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Any band with a name derived from Tolkien.

19. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Or an album/band with this cover...

jazz from hell likes this.
  20. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

The girl is hot though