Progressive rock / metal

RIP

- - -

I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson.

Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz.

I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft.
I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.

Carl Palmer
March 11, 2016​

a progressive thread 12 pages long that does not even mention Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes? For shame!

Sure it is probably one of the most self indulgent albums ever recorded (four 20 minute songs!), but I still wish I had been old enough to see the tour back in 1974. They played all four sides live!

Yikes...Keith Emerson died. Oh no...rest in peace, Keith. You've definitely had an excellent run and you were an amazing god at playing keyboards.

Never been big fan of ELP but can't deny the talent and influence of Keith Emerson. R.I.P.

In the Court of the Crimson King has to be one of the most overrated albums ever, wouldn't even put it in my top 5 King Crimson albums

While I disagree (it's my 2nd favorite KC album), I do wonder what albums you have over that one.

King Crimson's discography is so large and varied that it's almost impossible for me to rank them. In the Court is a perfect album as far as I'm concerned though.

I do wonder what albums you have over that one.

1. Red
2. Starless and Bible Black
3. Larks' Tongues In Aspic
4. Discipline
5. In the Wake of Poseidon

ITCOTCK would probably come 6th, although i would put it behind other Fripp related albums.

i do like it but i just can't see why it's always seen as one of the "Greatest Albums Ever"

i do like it but i just can't see why it's always seen as one of the "Greatest Albums Ever"
To me it's pretty obvious why ITCOTCK always tops lists like these. First KC album, came before the other prog juggernauts like Yes and Genesis, highly influential etc. I don't think a magazine like Rolling Stone is going to be ranking things based on quality as much as pop culture influence.

To me it's pretty obvious why ITCOTCK always tops lists like these. First KC album, came before the other prog juggernauts like Yes and Genesis, highly influential etc. I don't think a magazine like Rolling Stone is going to be ranking things based on quality as much as pop culture influence.

yeah i don't deny it's influence and agree it's a very exciting album for 1969, but for me it was the 2nd KC Album i heard after Thrak and i couldn't hear any difference in music quality so i never understood why it was so acclaimed

1. Red
2. Starless and Bible Black
3. Larks' Tongues In Aspic
4. Discipline
5. In the Wake of Poseidon

ITCOTCK would probably come 6th, although i would put it behind other Fripp related albums.

Red is my favorite King Crimson album as well.

I can see the case for Larks' Tongues in Aspic over In the Court of the Crimson King, but not the other ones. Then again it all comes down to taste. 'Epitaph' is one of my favorite songs of all time, the title track is among my all time favorites in prog rock and I love 'Moonchild'.

So now I'm hearing Keith Emerson shot himself. That's horrible. :(

Nice to see you rank Discipline high, Severian. I have a soft spot for the Belew era.

New (at least to me band, but they do have 2 albums out now) .. Purson.

The video is a bit more pop-ish than the rest of the album (still a good song). You can hear plenty of Tull/early Purple influences in the new album with some modern sounds as well. Does not hurt that the singer/guitar player is pretty damn good looking

My God! Have you heard the current Yes singer? So nasal, and whiny... If there's one way to get used to Anderson's voice, this is it.

I quite like the current Yes singer. You're not going to get the same voice as Anderson, but it can't be easy to get someone this close to it. I saw them on this tour and was impressed.

Back