Progressive rock / metal

I think I'm realizing what is meant by odd time signatures. It seems it's when the drum beats sort of go against the rest of the music and it doesn't sound real smooth flowing. But in a good way. Or when the keyboards are maybe doing something that doesn't sound like it quite fits with the guitar. Again, in a good way. Something like that I think?

Also, here is a really amazing band I just discovered called Haken.

One of my favourite prog/power metal bands just announced a new release!!! :yey: About time, after 5 years :D

ghost_ship_web.jpg

THEOCRACY: NEW ALBUM "GHOST SHIP" ANNOUNCED

The Athens, Georgia-based melodic metal band THEOCRACY will release their new album "Ghost Ship" on October 28th in Europe and North America through Ulterium Records. Information on different editions and formats will be announced soon.

With Ghost Ship, Theocracy perfects the lively and fully-realized sound of As the World Bleeds, delivering 10 muscular and streamlined tracks that never lose focus and combine for one memorable journey. You like midtempo singalong anthems? Try the “Ghost Ship” title track. Thrashy rhythms and intensity? “The Wonder of It All” should be to your liking. Emotional ballads with huge melodic hooks? Go “Around the World and Back.” Or if you prefer epic, progressive tracks that do all these things and more, 10-minute album closer “Easter” is sure to be a favorite. Each song on Ghost Ship stands alone and has a unique signature, but every moment sounds unmistakably like Theocracy.

The tracklist:

01. Paper Tiger
02. Ghost Ship
03. The Wonder Of It All
04. Wishing Well
05. Around the World and Back
06. Stir the Embers
07. A Call To Arms
08. Currency In A Bankrupt World
09. Castaway
10. Easter

Does what I said above make any sense? Do I have the right idea about progressive music and time signatures?

And I'm going to check out Theocracy right now.

Does what I said above make any sense? Do I have the right idea about progressive music and time signatures?

Yeah. Haken sounds cool and everything but Kind Crimson was doing that stuff in the late 60's but with different instrumentation.

That whole album is very KC inspired overall, but I feel Haken is one of the most original prog bands around right now.

So? How did it turn out? :D

All that talk about Haken is really cool - I like them a lot (though I'm probably not a fan yet - give me a few more listens). This year has been great for me in general, as far as discovering prog metal bands is concerned (Shadow Gallery, Labyrinth, Veni Domine, Vanden Plas, Adagio, hopefully even Leprous - I have to get over the vocals, though...)

Dunno why Evergrey isn't more popular around here. I'd say they are less technical Symphony X with similar vocals, but with a touch of power-metallish side of Iced Earth.

Their best 2 albums IMO are In Search Of Truth (concept album about alien abduction) and Recreation Day.

Last edited:

This is actually pretty good. Reminds me of some of Symphony X's more mellow stuff like Accolade.

The Grudge is a cool track. I really dig the whole Lateralus concept and album.
====================
New Neal Morse double concept album announced today, Mike Portnoy claims it's his new masterpiece (better than Scenes):
http://www.radiantrecords.com/produ...-band-alive-again-dvd2cd-set-and-blu-ray.aspx

Up and over... now the BIG ONE! The first of its kind. The juggernaut flagship masterwork from The Neal Morse Band -- The Similitude of a Dream. This is the double concept album fans of progressive rock have been waiting for, whether they know it or not. This is the second studio release from the collective minds of prog legends Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy with their resident cohort Randy George and relative newcomers Eric Gillette and Bill Hubauer. Mike Portnoy says, "OMG...I am BLOWN AWAY.. I am completely FLOORED...By the time I was rounding the album's grand finale, the goosebumps were so overwhelming I actually uncontrollably wept like a baby!!! (I swear.....) In my 30+ year career, I consider myself to have made 2 masterpiece concept albums: Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory & Transatlantic's The Whirlwind... Ladies & Gentlemen, In my opinion, we have ABSOLUTELY TOPPED them both! THIS is THE ALBUM of mine (& Neal's) careers...it's so monumentally EPIC and perfect in every way...." Clocking in at over 100 minutes on 2 CDs, this amazing piece of prog storytelling will leave you breathless, exhilarated, amused, and fulfilled in a way that only inspired music can.

Don't know why, but Kansas has cancelled their concert here in Houston on the current Leftoverture 40th anniversary tour! Now I have to decide if they are worth driving to Dallas for...:mad:

I'll post this here too.

Rishloo. I'm just discovering this band out right now, and really digging them. There's definitely some Tool vibes.

Traffic's The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys is an amazing mix of prog, jazz fussion and blues. One of my very favorite prog rock albums since I was ten years old. Mr Fantasy, their first album, is also awesome

Back