Progressive rock / metal

Scale the Summit is a fun band. Their music tends to blend together a lot but it's still enjoyable.

@Night Prowler and any other fans on the board: Have you checked out the new Borknagar yet? I just now saw they released a new album!

Excellent album. Not better than Urd, but I didn't expect that; that's one of my favorite albums ever. Guitar/keyboard interplay is more prog rock/retro than ever and the whole album is probably their proggiest... however, the album just isn't as catchy as the previous one. Vocals are the best thing about the album; all 4 vocalists are at the top of their game.

Well I'm loving it on first listen. I have no idea why this band doesn't get more attention in the prog metal world. Nice mix of cleans and growls too.

Do you get a slight Geoff Tate vibe from one of the singers (not sure which one), NP?

I heard Urd back when it came out, not Universal. This definitely got me interested in checking out their back catalog.

After listening to it a few more times, it's definitely one of the contenders for the album of the year, even though it's only January :p

Compared to Urd, it's missing a cool instrumental song and maybe another regular one. It's a bit short, or I'm a bit spoiled :p If you take out the bonus, the interlude and two singles, it's like 5 new songs :p Now that it's grown on me, I can say all songs are catchy, just a bit less than the Urd songs. Both albums are awesome though, so it's just nuances. Favorite songs: title track, Erodent (epic as fuck chorus).

Anyone hear Steven Wilson's new EP yet? It's awesome, if you like Hand Cannot Erase then you'll dig this. At first I was expecting something that sounds like a collection of leftovers and it does have that vibe at times (especially on the 3 instrumental tracks), but the two epics stand up to everything on HCE. Also has the female singer from Routine.

2016 is off to a good start so far, already a ton of great albums and it's still only January.

Back