OPETH SURVIVOR 2014: Results -> Bleak wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
SURVIVOR_RULES_013.jpg

Eliminated:
Master's Apprentices - 5 votes
To Rid The Disease - 5 votes
In My Time Of Need - 4 votes
The Baying Of The Hounds - 4 votes

Promoted:
Deliverance
A Fair Judgement
Windowpane
Hope Leaves

Watershed joins the game, meaning this is another extended round. Derelict Herds is a bonus track, also the last Opeth song to feature growls :(

Three cover songs and a different version of Porcelain Heart appear on various Watershed editions (but won't be featured in the game):

Bridge Of Sighs (Robin Trower cover)
Den Ständiga Resan (Marie Fredriksson cover)
Would? (Alice In Chains cover)
Mellotron Heart

P.S. Master's Apprentices is gone, you guys are officially crazy :(

Love their rendition of Would.

By the way, Derelict Herds is living proof that it was time for the sound to change. The growled parts sound so phoned in.

Beneath
Conjuration (leave already)
Burden
Porcelain
Herds

Would is an amazing song and a lot of it comes from Layne's vocals, I think Mikael's vocals are a bit too soft for it.

Wow, never heard that Would cover. Cool.

edit: By the way, this is a fantastic album. So powerful. And some insane drum breaks really.
I remember someone told Axenrot is no Mendez, but listening to this I'd also say: Mendez is no Axenrot. :shred:

I bought it a month ago and have played it, but still want to play it again before I vote.

Last edited:
Watershed is my #2 Opeth. Glad you like it!

And yea Axenrot is awesome. A very worthy replacement.

Pretty much all growls on Watershed sound phoned in. Theory: Mikael was forced by the record company to record one last metal album.

Would is an amazing song and a lot of it comes from Layne's vocals, I think Mikael's vocals are a bit too soft for it.
Yep!

Also, gotta listen to the album a couple of times before voting, didn't hear it in a long time and last impressions weren't really good :p

Pretty much all growls on Watershed sound phoned in. Theory: Mikael was forced by the record company to record one last metal album.

Agreed. I just listened to Watershed again, and will do so once more before voting, but it's an incredibly inconsistent and patchy album, especially where Mikael's vocals are concerned. I honestly think the best songs are the ballads and thus, I understand where Heritage came from a little better.

It's just a theory, no conspiracy.

EDIT: Am I the only one who really likes Mellotron Heart? Would fit in very good with Damnation songs, great atmosphere.

I doubt the record company has that much control over the band. Plus I remember reading that the first song written for Heritage was a metal song in the vein of Watershed and someone told Mikael that it sucked so he came back with Slither and the album went in that direction instead.

Ah I found the interview.
Go to 1:05

So nobody told him the music sucked, it wasn't what he wanted to hear. And the first song was Lines In My Hand, not Slither.

I think that was posted in the Opeth thread already.

It was, and the silence afterwards was rather deafening. I can imagine that Mosh, CornFed, Knick and possible others don't like this.

I didn't notice that the video from that post and this article are the same thing. Anyway, what Foro said :p

I am a bit double in it as well. I do like it that he understands that people like to hear heavy Opeth. Because Opeth did so much good heavy stuff; it's hard to suddenly ignore that rich bulk. But other than that, to give in to the audience, rather than following your own path. Hmm, that's Priestish. Still, he said that songs were chosen which the band liked.

It was, and the silence afterwards was rather deafening. I can imagine that Mosh, CornFed, Knick and possible others don't like this.
Nice conspiracy theory you've got there. :p

I agreed with the interview. Make whatever album you want, but concerts aren't self indulgent affairs. The audience paid for tickets, you should give them what they want. That doesn't translate to play songs you don't like, because then the performances will suffer. I saw them on the last leg of the Heritage tour where it was a mix between old and new, and they seemed just as passionate about the old stuff as they did the Heritage material. Everybody's happy.

Back