Rush Discography Discussion 2: Caress of Steel (1975)

Thanks guys, I've been having a lot of fun with this thread. I was actually planning on doing one for Priest or Maiden next. You guys can decide which to do first.

I don't really care which one is to come first, but doing this for Maiden would be fantastic. I had a great time reading Forostar's top 50, and it would be great to experience that kind of stuff again, from a different perspective. Here (and it was the same with Foro's stuff), we are given reasons to love the albums, and to try again and again. I'm actually experiencing the good side of this positive attitude, as I first rejected "Signals", and now like it a lot.

Yea, I'm always looking forward to finding new favorites. Found a lot of gems especially on the post P/G albums. Personally I'll be revisiting Maiden's discography anyway when the survivor starts later this month, so I'm kinda leaning toward Priest first. But like I said, totally up to you guys.

Whatever the outcome, I hope we take a bit of a break in between these campaigns. I am still looking forward to people contributing to this topic and people need some time for that (I remember mckindog said he couldn't do it because of this topic). ;)

Also I'd like to share some awesome Rush bootlegs with you guys, when this is over.

I think the count-in and the big naked drums is great way to open Counterparts. It says get ready for some no-frills butt-kicking.
And by rolling straight into the chorus the band is also telling you to get ready for some melody.
Animate is an excellent opening song — a straight-up, powerful groove driven by Geddy's throbbing bass riff, with Neil in full control.
Most of the song is very much an easy, hypnotic, cruise along the highway, but the middle section does provide some good atmospheric variation.
I love the moment of brief pause ("..a man must learn to gently dominate") before it hurtles into the final chorus, and those little keyboard pulses in the outro are a nice touch.

(Anyone else love the irony of Rush's meaty, back-to-basics album opening with Neil writing about getting in touch with his feminine side?) :D

I'm big on great albums working as a unit in addition to being just a collection of songs. Flow and continuity is a big part of that.
Animate slides into Stick It Out perfectly.
My hand is still tapping dreamily on the steering wheel along to the fading echoes of the Animate outro when the huge Iommi-esque riff grabs my attention like a bucket of cold water.
The riffs and melodies all seem very obvious (and the chorus is a little silly), but there is a surprising number of little parts that make up this song.
And sonically, the bridge section is very dynamic, with the acoustic guitar standing out in the mix— a wait-a-minute moment in all that up-tempo metallic pounding.
Nowhere near the best song in the catalogue (or even the album) but a lot of fun.

More great flow here: Stick it Out ends defiantly and they launch immediately into the quiet, tense opening of Cut to the Chase.
I think this song deserves more attention than it gets. Such a great dramatic build in the couplets, with some nice poetic Peart images.
The chorus isn't a huge grabber but Geddy adds the right air of quiet resolve to the electric motion of the music.
I like the legato opening of the too brief-solo and the bridge always gets me air drumming.
And again, some nice, simple variations in the final chorus — it's really a textbook exercise in good, basic songwriting.

Last edited:
And we get more textbook songwriting on Nobody's Hero.
I get that some fans may feel let down by Counterparts when comparing it to, say, Hemispheres because the song structures are far less adventurous. OK, they are mostly conventional.
The thing is, there is nothing wrong with conventional song structures: they've proven to be among the most powerful forms of communication humanity knows.
Rush had spent the past three albums — with mixed success — trying to become good conventional songwriters.
It's pretty easy to write a simple song. It's immensely hard to write a great simple song.
Counterparts works because they finally nailed the process.
That simple guitar riff draws you into Nobody's Hero, the lyrics tell a compelling story, and the melodies make you feel it.
Everything else they layer on simply works to accentuate that. Just a good basic song.

Last edited:
Counterparts is my favorite 90's album and probably their best since Grace Under Pressure. It has some weak moments, but the best parts really make up for it. They're really on top form in every way; songwriting, playing, sound, lyrics. Lyrically, this is one of my favorite albums. Which is kinda interesting because the following album has some pretty awful lyrics. A lot of these lyrics are more down to earth and easy to relate to. Not that this has never been the case, it's just a bit more evident here. The whole Counterparts idea is really interesting in general, I think.

Animate is such a great track. Right from the get go everything great about this album is summed up in one song. One of the most bombastic Rush tunes.

Not a fan of Stick It Out, that riff was always so generic to me. Kinda sounds like a Presto leftover, which also makes me wonder how awesome Presto would sound with this production.

Cut To The Chase, another song I don't like. A bit too grungy for me.

Nobody's Hero is where the album really starts to get good for me. New ground lyrically and supported well by the music. Also should be pointed out that this is probably the first song that could point to Neil Peart's transition from Ayn Rand style Libertarian to his self described "bleeding heart liberal". I think the orchestrations are bit too much, but that's just a small pet peeve, everything else is awesome. Probably could've been a hit if it was released a few years earlier.

Love Between Sun And Moon. Very Knopfler esque guitar playing and Peart does the original poem justice. Great chorus, love how it modulates, should be a classic sing a long song. Not sure why they waited almost 10 years to play it live. Definitely one of my favorites.

Alien Shore was a song I didn't really notice at first, but since then it has become another one of my favorites. It's actually one of the few songs where my favorite part is the lyric. Dunno what it is, but they're well written and work perfectly with the music. The chorus is huge. One of the most underrated Rush tracks.

Speed Of Love is pretty good, not one of the best but it's a nice song. Kinda sounds like something that could've been written on the previous two albums, with it's lush guitar chords and very melodic singing. Great bridge with a really cool buildup.

Double Agent is a strange song. Definitely one that took me awhile to get into. Probably not a song that should be taken completely seriously, can be pretty fun if I'm in the right mood. Some sinister riffing too, actually reminds me of something that would be on Clockwork Angels. Love how the tension releases for the chorus.

I'm a sucker for good instrumental tracks and Leave That Thing Alone is definitely a cool one. Something that I like about this one is that it could've been passed off as Program Music, which isn't really the case with the other instrumentals, those were more instrumental showcases. This is one that I could hear being played in the background of a film, very cool. Also a wonderful guitar solo.

Cold Fire is actually a song I got into when I revisited this album the other day. It starts out a bit abrasive but after that it's really good. Another song that shows Neil Peart trying something new, writing a song based on a conversation. I like it.

Everyday Glory is a nice way to end the album, a huge step up from You Bet Your Life, but not quite up to the awesomeness that is Available Light. Like pretty much every song on the album, it has a great chorus. Still toward the bottom of my rankings for this album.

After the discussion on DEW, I kinda get why Foro isn't a huge fan, but for me Between Sun and Moon is one of the stronger tracks.
It starts with that great chunky guitar riff (knopfleresque is a nice way of putting it) nicely accented by a strong kick drum and some great cymbal touches. The song has got some nice dynamics and tempo changes as it moves along, and the band is airtight. And - again - it's nicely placed in the playlist after the melodramatics of Hero.
I have no idea what the lyrics mean but the images are fabulous and, coupled with the bright chorus, the image I get is enlightenment. It feels so free - full of love for life.
And I have to step away the song for a second to emphasize just how great it, and every other song, sounds. The production of this album is stellar. You hear every part, all at the right times with all kinds of air and balance between them. This is what headphones were made for.

Oddly enough Alien Shore may be my least favourite tack, despite the fact it might be the most technically impressive one. That bassline is stunning and again the band is so tight. But I don't love the melody and the underlying structure that much. Alex's chord voicings and leads are very Grace Under Pressure, and coupled with the funkier rhythms, that makes this the one track that seems somewhat out of place to me.

At the Speed of Love, on the other hand, sounds like an outtake from Roll the Bones.
Or it would if it wasn't better than most of that album.
Reminiscent most of The Big Wheel, but smoother, this is another good mid-tempo Journeyesque song with some nice melodies and equally nice guitar and bass fills. And I agree with Mosh about the bridge. Love the way it builds.
But what I really love Neil's understated drum work. His cymbal work is particular catchy and so well-showcased in the mix. If you aren't a big fan of the track, I'd encourage you to follow what he's doing on the headphones. It might change your view of the song.

Last edited:
I'm surprised more people don't love Double Agent — it's the most old-school Rush song they did in the period from Signals to Vapour Trails — that's 20 years!
That gripping intro (melody and bassline), those absolutely sinister riffs and all the time shifts, yet it's still wrapped up in an early 90s values — it's almost like a Hemispheres song collided with Roll the Bones. For me, it loses some points for the spoken-word couplets (once is cool, but not an entire song) and lacks the virtuosity of the '70s stuff. Still a good song.

Last edited:
I'm embarrassed to say it, but if Leave That Thing Alone came on the shuffle, I couldn't tell you if it was that song or Where's My Thing? They just kinda merge into one for me.
Even though side-by-side they aren't that similar. I like both, but more as background music. Neither really grabs me.

Everything that is good about Speed of Love is in Cold Fire — nice melodies, catchy cymbal work, rock solid composition and lyrics about relationships that sound like they were actually written by an adult. (Peart really stepped it up for this one with some great metaphors and that unusual framing device Mosh pointed out.)
But it is a much better song because it has a musical tension and a bittersweet feel that Speed does not.
One of the album's high points for me. It's changes and flourishes all work in service of the song and the song itself is pretty damn good.
I prefer other aspects of the band's canon, but really, this might mark the apex of the intelligent, safe, rock song model the band had been experimenting with since Hold Your Fire.
Special plug to Alex's solo, probably my favourite on from the album.

I haven't mentioned Alex much — which may seem weird since this album marked the return of the guitar — but his solos aren't particularly memorable on Counterparts.
His rhythm work, however, is stellar. Metal fans tend to judge rhythm playing in terms of riffs. There are those, but there also a lot of amazing textures, versatile chord work, and well-timed fills, all done in service of the song. His personality comes across as less guitar hero and more studio session chameleon. Nice stuff.

Last edited:
Everyday Glory is another one carved from the same intelligent basic rock song template, but using different stone.
Beautiful melodies, catchy drums, bright guitar lines, but this time instead of evoking the bittersweet nature of love's cold reality, this one is full of grace and the triumph of the human spirit.
One of the most uplifting, feel-good songs they've done and another one on my personal underrated list.
Very nice way to close the album.

Gotta say Everyday Glory doesn't do a whole lot for me. Seems like another Presto leftover, not a bad song but not a great one either.

Test For Echo (1996)
Rush_Test_for_Echo.jpg

In retrospect, Test For Echo is probably best remembered for being the last album Rush made before tragic events in Neil Peart's life caused the band to take an indefinite hiatus. That said, it doesn't sound like a final album, obviously since it was planned on being one. In fact it sounds the opposite, being a logical step from Counterparts and continuing the evolution that started with Presto 7 years earlier.

Test For Echo has a more raw and aggressive sound than previous albums, almost sounding more jam based. It also sees the band's more proggy elements starting to creep back, found in quite a few songs, including Time and Motion and Limbo. Many of the songs feature more extended arrangements and free feeling guitar solos reminiscent of the 70's Rush. Though this album, like Counterparts, also features some nods to their 90's contemporaries, such as in Half The World. This could also be the most raw sounding album yet; the keyboards are almost completely nonexistent.

This album also shows the band once again experimenting and developing their craft. For example, on Half The World we hear Alex Lifeson rock the mandola for the first time. He would continue to experiment with other stringed instruments later on, such as the bouzouki and mandolin. Almost 25 years and 16 albums later, we still see members of the band revealing previously unknown talents.

Throughout the 90's, Neil Peart had played on several Buddy Rich tribute projects. The new experiences combined with being introduced to other drummers, notably Journey's Steve Smith, inspired Peart to reinvent his style. In preparation for the next Rush album, he began studying with Jazz veteran Freddie Gruber. The result was a more loose drumming style and Neil now playing with a traditional grip. He also began incorporating Jazz fills into his live drum solos.
image.png

Freddie-Gruber.jpg

(1927-2011)

With 3 years since their last album and much growth in all 3 musicians, the result was a fresh sound for the band. Because of this, Test For Echo is more in line with Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows than Counterparts. It's hard to believe that this was the same band who had previously written songs like Time Stand Still and Presto. This was a more in your face band, with a riff based approach and songs that didn't lose energy, even when they weren't rocking.

Lyrics for this album are varied, with no obvious recurring theme or concept. Neil Peart once again collaborated with Pye Dubois on the title track. As of 2013, this is the last time the two collaborated on a track. Virtuality is about how the internet affects relationships, a theme that is more common today but certainly new when this album was written.

Test For Echo could be the most forgotten Rush album. Perhaps it's because of its time period, or it was overshadowed by the band's hiatus. Though it does feature the song that gave way for one of the band's most interesting arrangements. Upon returning to the stage in 2002, Geddy and Alex put together an acoustic duet version of the song Resist. Aside from that, not a lot of material from this album gets played live.

This was yet another Billboard Top 5 album for the band, though it only reached gold status. As other styles of music began to take dominance, Rush was still hanging on,despite not creating the same monster hits they had in the 80's.

Unfortunately, the celebration that comes with a new album and tour was cut short when Neil Peart's daughter was killed in a car accident. 10 months later, his wife also passed, succumbing to cancer. At this point, the band was completely put on hold with an uncertain future and very little possibility of continuing. A distressed Peart began a long series of travels across North and South America by motorcycle. He chronicled his journey in a book titled Ghost Rider: Travels On The Healing Road, released in 2002.
Ghost_Rider_book.jpg

As an aside, this album turned 17 years old on Tuesday. It's exactly 20 days older than me. :D

Nobody's eager to dive into the pool on this one, eh?
Not surprised, it's a tough album to get passionate about.
It's the rawest sounding album they've done in ages, but it's not exactly raw, and it's definitely not heavy.
It's got some progressive elements leaking back into the mix, but it's not innovative, or virtuoso.
It's got some melody, but nothing that cuts into your heart, or touches your spirit.
It's pretty consistent, but in 6 or 7/10 kind of way.
It's just kinda there.

I'm just trying to get into it. Driven is a pleasant song to listen to, kind of surprising, but I don't know what to think about the other material yet.

Nobody's eager to dive into the pool on this one, eh?
Not surprised, it's a tough album to get passionate about.
It's the rawest sounding album they've done in ages, but it's not exactly raw, and it's definitely not heavy.
It's got some progressive elements leaking back into the mix, but it's not innovative, or virtuoso.
It's got some melody, but nothing that cuts into your heart, or touches your spirit.
It's pretty consistent, but in 6 or 7/10 kind of way.
It's just kinda there.
Pretty fair assessment, mostly agree.

Test For Echo is my least favorite Rush album. The only song I really enjoy is Driven and even that isn't something I go back to often. A lot of the songs are simply forgettable and really sound uninspired. Kinda sounded like they were stuck in a rut, maybe in need of a break. After spending the decade evolving, they had reached a point where there wasn't really any new direction to take. Even the lyrics are pretty spotty in places. I sometimes wonder if the band would've really started to decline had they not taken a hiatus.

Back