Rush Discography Discussion 2: Caress of Steel (1975)

The only thing I'd change is the generic guitar playing during the choruses. Besides that I think it's a pretty rocking song. Has a lot of traits that Rush at this time was missing. Luckily, they'd push more in this direction after RTB.

What do you guys think of the Roll The Bones rap? I think it's amusing and obviously the band is having a bit of fun, but I realize that some people don't really like that sort of thing in music.

I like the rap bit — catchy and fun. I remember it was somewhat controversial at the time, but looking at it now, it's hard to to imagine why.
Its a very good song, and this does nothing but add to it, IMO.

Well with every other Rush album since we started doing this, I've had Roll The Bones on regular rotation for the past week. In light of the bashing it has taken both here and elsewhere (I have a couple friends who deem it the worst Rush album), I have to say it actually isn't as bad as I remember. I'm not about to declare it my favorite Rush album, mind you, it's still in the bottom tier, but it isn't unbearable at least. I even discovered a song that I quite enjoyed but never noticed before. Basically, the first half of the album is very good while the rest is very bad. Mckindog is right, the best songs from Presto and Roll The Bones would make one stellar album.

Praises have already been sung about Dreamline, I don't have much to add here. It still remains to be one of my favorite Rush tracks.

Bravado is a bit repetitive but I at least see the appeal. Unfortunately it is one of the many songs on this album that I won't bother to listen to out of context. Also their most U2ish song. The real question is: is this a good or bad thing?

Something 80's Rush was really lacking were fun rock songs. It was a very serious band, no more songs like A Passage To Bangkok or even The Spirit Of Radio. Presto and Roll The Bones shows a return to this direction. Superconductor was the first hint, though it was poorly executed. Roll The Bones really achieves what I think was one of the band's goals in the early 90's. To make awesome Rock again without taking themselves too seriously. Classic Rush.

Face Up is another weaker track. A generic rocker, kinda sounds like a Presto leftover.

Where's My Thing is another song I really like. Rush never really had a funky track up until this point, I think they did this one very well. It also has a really cool keyboard melody in what would be the "chorus". Though this doesn't really have the mindblowing technical virtuosity of their other instrumentals, it's still a fun track that once again harkens back to old Rush. Lots of melodies I really like too.

The Big Wheel is the song I've been into the most this week. I never noticed it before, but after revisiting this album something really clicked. I don't think it beats the best songs on the album, but it's better than a lot of the other weaker material. Cool song, stuff like this is one of the things I like the most about these types of discussions.

And then after that the album gets progressively worse. Roll The Bones has the potential to be a great rock record, but as a whole Rush once again misses the mark. It seems that it would take a couple tries for them to get used to writing that style of music again. Luckily it wouldn't take too long, as the next album executes it perfectly and then some. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

There are three other worthwhile tracks on here and Mosh nailed two of them.
Where's My Thing is fun — nothing arresting, but it's upbeat and interesting in the way it keeps moving.
And Big Wheel is actually quite good in a Journey sort of way. I like the melody on the chorus.
The other one I don't mind is Neurotica, Decent composition and a catchy bassline.

After that:
Face Up is one the weaker things they've done (see my War Paint critique, multiply by at least a factor of three.)
Heresy is maudlin (think that's the first time I've ever used that word on here :p)
Ghost of a Chance is meh — a waste of a decent riff
And You Bet Your Life is just too fluffy.

Reflecting back on the album as a whole, it's polished and professional and actually the shiny production is quite well-done.
But Rush used to be about pushing envelopes. The best they can do here is a tongue-in-cheek bit of white rap?
The flaw in Roll the Bones is in the material itself. It's just not dangerous enough.

I used to be into Neurotica, now not so much. It has a catchy chorus I'll give it that.

Heresy has an alright chorus. The rest kinda plods.

Ghost of a Chance and You Bet Your Life are completely forgettable.

The production is well done, but it's not the production I want on a Rush album. Say what you will about the synth era, but the production works for the music. Presto and Roll The Bones do have good production, but it doesn't serve the material justice. Even if that material is subpar. It doesn't even have to be dangerous, it just needs more bite. But like I mentioned before, they got all these things right with Counterparts.

Also I have to say, I really like War Paint. :p

I still think its more the material than the production.
It enhances the first three songs. The Big Wheel sounds great.
Presto was a thin-sounding record. Roll The Bones isn't.

Oh, I agree with that. A good album with bad production (e.g. Clockwork Angels) is still a good album.

Might as well explain right now as it's actually almost the polar opposite of Roll The Bones and Presto, sonically. It's very low end heavy and as a result it's pretty muddy. The softer songs sound good but the heavy stuff is just too much. I noticed that when I turn it up it gets even more muddy. I like heavy sounding production, but on CA there's no room for the music to breathe. Mostly a mixing problem I think, not as bad as Vapor Trails but they made similar mistakes, which I find odd because they just got done fixing that album.

I agree on the (relative) muddiness of Angels. More later.
And they fixed Vapor Trails? Where do I find that?

It's already on iTunes I think. Physical version comes out at the end of the month both separately and in a box set called "The Atlantic Years". Haven't checked it out yet, waiting for the CD.

Edit: Found the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Vapor-Trails-...&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=vapor+trails+revisited

Not til October first. Too bad we'll already be past that album by the time it comes out. Kinda wanted to listen to that instead of the original version.

Last edited:
I already have One Little Victory and Earthshine. These are my faves on the album, and I honestly think the remix sounds too "light". On Earthshine, the bass almost sounds like Steve Harris' back in 1988, with a lot of "top end", but the overall sound has lost power. As for Clockwork Angel, I absolutely love this powerfull bass sound all over the place ; this is incredibly energetic.

I love Harris' bass sound on all the 80's albums, so I'm definitely intrigued, at least. :D I'm thinking about buying the whole box set, since it has quite a few albums I don't own yet.

Totally forgot to update this, Friday night is easier for me anyway now that school is back so I'll just start updating on Fridays from now on. Rush Discussion Episode XVIII comes tomorrow!

Counterparts (1993)
Rush_Counterparts.jpg

In 1993, Rush had spent 4 years trying to reinvent their sound and create a classic hard rock Rush record. As the saying goes, third time's a charm. Counterparts sees the return of Rush as a hard hitting power trio. No more material that they would go on to regret and in its place is a strong, energetic, and often overlooked album. This seems to be the album that Rush wanted to make, a triumphant return to form.

Once again, the band decided it was time to find a new producer. Taking the place of Rupert Hine was Peter Collins, who had previously worked with the band on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. This album also got help from a notable person, especially worth mentioning on a Maiden album, a young Kevin Shirley as engineer. The result was a much heavier more modern sounding album. Sonically, Counterparts could easily stand up to any other album in its time, and even sounds fresh today.

Like Presto and Roll The Bones, Counterparts features more guitar orientated. However, where the previous two albums focused heavily on vocal melodies and arrangements, this album is very riff driven with the exception of a few songs. Keyboards are almost non-existent, for the most part only acting as texture, and even then they're often mixed pretty low. This is probably Rush's most raw sounding album since the early 70's.

The lyrics are a bit more varied than on Roll The Bones, but follow a loose theme with many of the songs dealing with the need for balance (a theme not new to Rush), it also features many personal lyrics. Speed Of Love and Cold Fire both deal with love; the former being about the power it has over people and the latter examines two different concepts of love. Alien Shore and Nobody's Hero tackle bigger social issues, such as equality and heroism in the common man. Peart also took inspiration from Pye Dubois, who had cowritten Rush songs before, most noticeably Tom Sawyer. This time, Neil wrote a song based on his poem, "There Is A Lake Between Sun And Moon".
There is a lake between sun and moon
Not too many know about
Some go there for their high noon
Some go there for their midnight moon
It is a moment between silence and shout
Maybe you, might as well me
Why the sun, why the sun

Say yes, say yes, ahh say yes to self-esteem

We want to escape because we don't want to fall in
The signs are clear and so is the fear
We do not trust the firmness of the ground

Then say yes, say yes, ahh say yes to self-esteem

There is a fine place between actor and audience
This is the fine line
The fine line of living
This moment experienced
This fine deliverance
Do what you want to do in no ordinary way
Say what you need to say in no ordinary way
And sing what must be sung in no ordinary way

Say yes, ahh please, please say yes to self esteem

Some go there for their high noon
Some go there fo their midnight moon

It is the moment between silent and shout
This is a fine place
Faces face to face
These bonfire eyes
In the lake of the sky
It is our light to land and leave
Never so dark to unravel the weave
Never give up and never say die

Do what you need to do in no ordinary way
Say what you need to say in no ordinary way
And sing what must be sung in no ordinary way

In a world that had just dived head first into Grunge, Rush still managed to release a commercially successful album. It reached #2 on the Billboard 200 and #14 in the UK. It also landed the band yet another Grammy nomination for an instrumental track with Leave That Thing Alone.

Counterparts is the first Rush album in a long time that doesn't sound dated, it's exactly what modern Rush should sound like. Like most of their later material, it is often overlooked. A shame, as it features some of their best material.

I feel that Counterparts both starts and ends with 4 OK to very strong songs. The middle (Between Sun & Moon, Alien Shore, The Speed of Love) is weak to so, so.

Not easy to say if I like this album more or less than Presto (of which I boldly said that it probably was my favourite album from 1986-2011). Both albums have their good sides and some less good sides. One thing is sure for me: The best songs on Presto are quite better than the best ones on Counterparts.

Also it should be noted that the songs on Counterparts are quite stripped. I see how people love the powerful sound, but personally I find content more important. Here we have relatively simple song structures (perhaps the most simple in the discography). The playing is also relatively simple. That's connected to the lack of changes (e.g. in tempo) within songs. Not per se a bad thing. Probably a deliberate decision and it works well for the individual songs. But as a whole album, it gets flatter. While it is a strong album, I still like to say that, at times, I miss some of the unexpectedness (and changes of mood) we had on Presto and most other releases.

Lately I have rediscovered Double Agent and the U2-ish Everyday Glory (great choruses!).

Last edited:
Counterparts is the first Rush album in a long time that doesn't sound dated, it's exactly what modern Rush should sound like. [/media]
Another great review Mosh. Exactly how it sounded to me when I first heard it ! When skipping through their 80s and 90s discography, I almost immediatly liked this album. The sound is great, with a few bass-driven songs. The quality of the choruses is striking (mostly Animate ; Double Agent) ; and Nobody's Hero is a fantastic song.

Last edited:
No qualifiers: This is a great album.

Yes, it's simplistic for Rush, but it's not simple.
Great variation from song to song, great flow, great sound, great melodies, smart lyrics, great power and emotion.

Everything they attempted about basic songcraft on the previous three albums clicked into place when they decided to just just let loose and had some fun again.

Among my top five Rush albums and my favourite albums overall from the early '90s.

PS: I have to echo harrisdevot and give Mosh a big plug for the way he's been setting things up. This has been a great thread. I hope we continue these when this one is over. My suggestion is Priest. We may time it right to hit a new album. (And of course there is always Maiden.)

The songs are simple, but I don't find that to be a bad thing at all. Presto and Roll The Bones have a more variety of moods but many of the songs are bland and forgettable. Counterparts has several songs that beat everything on the previous two albums as well and the weaker material is also better.

PS: I have to echo harrisdevot and give Mosh a big plug for the way he's been setting things up. This has been a great thread. I hope we continue these when this one is over. My suggestion is Priest. We may time it right to hit a new album. (And of course there is always Maiden.)
Thanks guys, I've been having a lot of fun with this thread. I was actually planning on doing one for Priest or Maiden next. You guys can decide which to do first.

Back