Rush Discography Discussion 2: Caress of Steel (1975)

It was?? Wow, this is interesting. I thought the new mix gave the album a new sound, but I didn't expect that we're also getting new parts.

The next five songs contain perhaps the most downbeat lyrics in the band’s catalogue. You could call them the Depression Suite.

Vapor Trails has several atmospheric moments built around muted, upper-fretboard bass parts overlaid with some moody guitar accents. One such opens Peart’s very personal trek through the wilderness, Ghost Rider and it is the song’s best feature. This track has a wonderful, lost atmosphere, with a deliberate pace and some real nice builds. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a gripping enough melody, or enough variation to sustain itself and ends up overlong.

I was not a big fan of any of the next three tracks, but they have clicked for me somewhat thanks to the remix.

Despite its bleak conclusions, I’ve always thought Peaceable Kingdom — a take on 9/11 — features some outstanding writing by Neil. The music is decent, although it seems to get caught somewhat between moods — the heavier moments don’t crash enough, the softer moments don’t resonate enough and the general stately pace isn’t grand enough.

Like a rat in a maze who says “Watch me choose my own direction.”
The man who penned Free Will takes a very bitter turn in The Stars Look Down, his look at the cold, hard reality of the universe. Some cold anger here and some vintage Rush riffing by Alex. The song never quite takes off, but is very solid.

Can you say despondent and beaten down? Cynical? Jaded? The band makes the fatalistic lyrics of How It Is tolerable by painting them in a rather sparse arrangement and a rather pretty melody. The result is a nice, bittersweet track.

The pseudo-suite ends with album’s centerpiece Vapor Trail. The band explored death in Afterimage and did a great job capturing the sadness that come with a death of friend. Contrast that with deeper, numbing sense of loss and injustice that comes when your wife and daughter are taken away — when a piece of yourself has been ripped away and you know all you have left are memories, sure to fade. The band does an amazing job creating a backdrop for Peart’s best lyric ever.

Stratospheric traces of our transitory flight
Trails of condensation held in narrow bands of white
The sun is turning black
The world is turning grey
All the stars fade from the night
The oceans drain away

Horizon to horizon, memory written on the wind
Fading away, like an hourglass, grain by grain
Swept away like voices in a hurricane
In a vapor trail

Atmospheric phases make the transitory last
Vaporize the memories that freeze the fading past
Silence all the songbirds
Stilled by the killing frost
Forests burn to ashes
Everything is lost

Washed away like footprints in the rain
In a vapor trail
It’s so raw, with so much hurt. Powerful stuff.

Secret Touch and Earthshine flow from Vapor Trail to make up the best three-song run on the album.

The former has a freer, looser feel than most of this album, most Rush in general. It may be the closest Rush has ever come to a jam on record. Some interesting musicianship, particularly the amazing bass playing and the main melody is quite catchy. I like the extended outro.

The latter is built around a very simple, utterly engaging riff and some ethereal melodies. It's got both power and atmosphere. Definitely the album's most accessible song.

I have now come to a point where I like more than half of the album.

The Favourite Four:
Ghost Rider
Vapor Trails
Secret Touch
Earthshine

Pretty OK to good:
One Little Victory (still can't stand the end, but the vicious main riff makes up for it)
Ceiling Unlimited
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne

Intrigued by rhythm/accents but also dragging/repetitive:
Freeze

Not that impressed (by the music and vocals):

Peaceable Kingdom
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Out of the Cradle

Sweet Miracle nicely contrasts some jarring rhythm guitar parts with an easy groove on the couplets. Geddy hits some unbelievably high notes in the bridge without piercing any ears.
Not a grabber, but a stayer.

I get something of a Double Agent/Time and Motion vibe from Nocturne. It's got a real uncertain, eerie quality to it — perfectly matching the subject matter. The instrumental portion isn't very technical but it is intriguing.
Another song that isn't very obvious, but is worthwhile.

I like the jarring early rhythms of Freeze as well, but it's wasted tension because the song ultimately never gets anywhere. One of the weaker tracks IMO.

The opening 15 or 20 seconds of Out of the Cradle is one of my favourite moments on the record, and the early couplets sound like they could be building to something special.
But the special never arrives. The chorus is just OK and the back half of the song kinda meanders.

Last edited:
It was very serendipitous the remix arrived just in time for this thread.
It is getting a tonne of play from me right now, and has reinforced my sense this album is underrated.
It may not have a truly elite track (Vapor Trail comes close) but it has a lot of decent-or-better songs.
Probably my second favourite (after Counterparts) in the two-plus decades between Grace Under Pressure and Clockwork Angels

Good to very good:
Ceiling Unlimited
Ghost Rider
Vapor Trail
Secret Touch
Earthshine

Solid:
One Little Victory
How It Is
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne

OK:
The Stars Look Down
Out of the Cradle

Meh:
Peaceable Kingdom
Freeze

Finally got a chance to hear the remix last night and it does sound amazing. It doesn't make me like the album too much more than before, but it does motivate me to actually listen to it more often. I'll definitely be buying it when I get a chance. Hopefully with more listens I'll find some new favorites. Already noticed some really cool moments on last night's listen.

Feedback (2004)
Rush_Feedback.jpg

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of their debut album, Rush decided to go record an EP of songs that influenced them. Including artists such as The Who, Blue Cheer, and Cream, Feedback is a 60's romp that gives us a look at how Rush probably envisioned their sound in 1974. It's a good way to celebrate 30 years as a band and gives an interesting take on these songs.

R30 (2005)
220px-R30_Live_In_Frankfurt.jpg

Shortly after the release of Feedback, Rush embarked on a 30th anniversary tour playing a massive setlist that covered every era in their long career. It also included songs from the Feedback EP and was the first time Rush played the same set every night since the Hold Your Fire tour. One of the most notable parts of this concert was the instrumental medley at the beginning of the concert, where the band played excerpts from each of their 70's albums.

The DVD release for this tour contained an incomplete concert in Germany with many bonus features including rare live videos and interviews spanning the band's entire 30 year career. In 2008, R30 was re-released on blu-ray as a complete concert.

By the way, sorry for the late updates, been dealing with a busy concert schedule and sickness the past few weeks, so this has fallen off my radar. I'll post the writeup for S&A this weekend.

Feedback is a fun little filler album.
Memo to Maiden: I'd much rather they put out something like this than yet another live DVD.

Not a reaction on what I posted? If you didn't check, you certainly missed something.
I for one never cared for Feedback. Never bought it either. I even remember that Rush counted it in their amount of albums, which is ridiculous.
R30 is a nice live album, but vocal wise Geddy begins to have trouble with higher notes.

Not a reaction on what I posted? If you didn't check, you certainly missed something.
Finally found the time to watch it last night.
Particularly enjoyed the hall of fame jam, which I hadn't seen before, but lots of good stuff.

Snakes & Arrows (2007)
220px-Snakesandarrows.jpg

Shortly after celebrating the huge milestone of 30 years, it was time for Rush to create the long awaited followup to Vapor Trails. Since then, they had gotten used to being a band again and it shows on Snakes & Arrows. The songs are more tightly arranged and the production is light years better. Clashing syncopated chords at the start of this album signal an energetic, majestic, rocking album. If Vapor Trails wasn't enough to convince you that Rush was really back, surely Snakes & Arrows did the trick.

The band hit the studio in early 2006, working in the same routine as in the 70's, with Alex and Geddy jamming while Neil worked on lyrics. Rush took advantage of (relatively) new technology by occasionally working over the internet when Neil wasn't available in person. Most of their jamming was done on acoustic guitars, which led to them often using acoustic instruments to double the distorted guitars, creating an effect that really gives this album its own personality. This was inspired by David Gilmour and his recent album, On An Island. Because of this, Gilmour is thanked in the liner notes. Alex also continued his experiments that started on Test For Echo with other string instruments, such as mandolin and bouzouki. This can be heard on Workin' Them Angels, in particular.

Like a lot of Vapor Trails, Neil Peart's lyrical influence largely comes from his motorcycle journeys through North America. This time, his lyrics deal with the concept of faith.
Neil Peart said:
At the time of hearing the first few songs, the only word I could think of for
their essence was “spiritual.” Another quality might be the almost oxymoronic
sense of “raw sophistication” (good name for an oyster bar). They demonstrated
our band’s characteristic alloy of driving rhythms behind soaring melodies and
harmonies, all set in a framework that was complex, and crafted with care. But
this time, while the arrangements remained intricate and dynamic, the elements
were often simple and direct—basic hard rock and blues forms. The Raw and the
Cooked. (Still thinking up names for oyster bars.)

This album also deals with relationships, in a similar vein to Test For Echo, ten years earlier.
Neil Peart said:
Other lyrical themes include a twist on the time-honored “relationship songs,”
framed along the lines of Robert Frost’s epitaph, “I Had a Lover’s Quarrel With
the World.” In “Spindrift” and “Good News First,” for example, the lyrics are
deliberately presented in the context of a “lover’s quarrel.” The addressee, though,
is not a “significant other,” but a significant proportion of the whole, wide
world—as expressed in “The Way the Wind Blows,” all those people “Who don’t
seem to see things the way you do.”
The same “lover’s quarrel” device colors the album’s final statement, “We
Hold On.” (With a nod to T.S. Eliot for “measured out in coffee breaks.”) If many
of the other lyrics illuminate the struggles we all have to face, in love and in life,
this one shows how we deal with it: We hold on.

Despite the large variety of lyrical themes, Rush still managed to fit in a staggering 3(!) instrumental tracks. The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism, and the short acoustic guitar piece: Hope.

The title for this album comes from the popular children's game of the same name, also known as Chutes and Ladders. For the artwork, the band adopted the artwork for the related ancient Buddhist game, "Leela: The Game of Self Knowledge".
harish_johari_leela_big.jpg

Snakes & Arrows was made available as a standard CD/LP release as well as a special MVI format, which was a new format by Warner Bros. It featured a 5.1 version of the album, an expanded booklet, and a 40 minute documentary chronicling the creation of the album. It debuted at #3 on the Billboard chart and Malignant Narcissism was nominated for a Grammy for best instrumental performance. The album was well received critically and was even named one of the 10 best progressive rock albums of the decade by Classic Rock magazine.

Snakes & Arrows Live (2008)
220px-Rush_Snakes_%26_Arrows_Live.jpg

Staying true the new tradition of releasing a live album for every tour, Snake & Arrows Live is yet another long expansive look at Rush's live power. The setlist features all the regulars: Limelight, Spirit of Radio, YYZ, Tom Sawyer, and so on. It also features some rarities like Entre Nous, Digital Man, and Between the Wheels and a whopping 9 tracks from the latest album. Leaving only 4 songs from Snakes & Arrows unplayed. The DVD also features a bonus disc containing some extra live footage, most notably of Ghost of a Chance. Snakes & Arrows once again proves that 30 years into their career, Rush still know how to rock.

This one really made it for me, almost immediately. There are a few songs I really love. Far Cry, Faithless, The Way the Wind Blows, Good News First are all top songs; but my favorites are undoubtedly :
1/ The Main Monkey Business, which reminds me of Maiden's instrumentals : small parts assembled together ; the themes are coming back, and, when you begin to worry about the song becoming repetitive, it takes a completely different direction.
2/ Armor and Sword. I love the heaviness of that song, and the perfect alliance of the heavy riff and the very melodic vocal line. Again, I see some Maiden connection here, as this song reminds me of Brighter than a 1000 Suns.
The only song I don't appreciate (and that won't change) is The Bravest Face : the only thing I like is the chorus, but that isn't enough to save a song.
As for the lyrics, while those of Armor and Sword sound great to me, I'm a bit fed up with the religious connections in Faithless : I mean, another song to say that, basically, they don't care about religion (and more is to come in Clockwork Angels).

I don't mind this album, but I have to use one of Foro's favourite words to define why it is in the lower half of the discography: monotone.
I'm not talking within individual songs, I'm talking the album overall.
I can handle Wind, Faithless, Bravest, Good News, and We Hold On as individual tracks. Together though, their similar structures, tempos, sound palette and world-weary lyrics merge the back half of the album into one mass of grey sludge.

Fortunately, the album has three great instrumentals - yes, I am including the underrated and soulful Hope - a great opener in Far Cry and the dark, heavy Armor and Sword to carry the freight. I also very much like the almost folk-like melody of the Larger Bowl. That song also has a nice emotive solo, something Alex had done increasingly little of in the back half of the band's career.

I have mixed feelings about Working Them Angels and Spindrift, each of which could have been on Test For Echo.
Strictly from a critical viewpoint, each has a lot going on that is worthwhile.
Neither really grabs me however.

Last edited:
Agreed with Mckindog. I was enthusiastic at first but soon that dropped. Favourites: Armor and Sword plus Monkey and Malignant (best instrumental).
Not sure how to see it in the light of Vapor Trails, since that album recently increased in my listening pleasure. There's less to be annoyed about on Snakes, but also a bit more to be "bored" about. When I saw the band live, promoting this album, these songs were among the least interesting.

Back