Bruce Dickinson

You saw him in UK, right? How much people he managed to gather, 5000? And were those casual Maiden fans or was Bruce solo really a thing then?

I saw him at a festival in Madrid. :)

Back in 1997 he probably was playing to 500 (probably less) people in the UK.

Last edited:
Hell yes it was an amazing gig! I remember being soaked of sweat afterwards. Bought the Chemical Wedding tour shirt which unfortunately fell apart a few years ago of wearing it way too often.

I saw him at a festival in Madrid. :)

Back in 1997 he probably was playing to 500 (probably less) people in the UK.
I saw Bruce back in 1998 at Biebob, capacity of 400! Coolest thing ever was Adrian walking to the bar through the crowd.
Fuuuuuuu..... I bet he'd pull 5000 in attendance nowdays without a sweat.
Wish I could see Bruce in such an intimate atmosphere. Just him and the band on the stage, no theatrics. I'd give my testicle to witness something like that.
Actually, scratch that.
You know what I'd give my testicle for? Those hidden Maiden gigs in late 80s/early 90s. I'd give both of them. Right on the chopping block.

How I envy you!

Based on the YouTube footage, it seems it was a superb gig.

Watching the footage of this powerful song and Adrian's using a guitar from 1983, I want to ask: is there any footage from 1997 with his White Jackson Soloist? I can't recall ever seeing one. Or pictures. Also, I'm curious for which songs he used this guitar. If I'm not mistaken, he also used it live in 1988 (maybe in 1986 too) - it was probably the one with the sticker on it, there was a photo from the 1988 tour.
I do not think would be pulling those big numbers as a solo artist…
Well, he's doing great with the attendance for his Spoken tour, so I guess we can double those figures. ;)

Watching the footage of this powerful song and Adrian's using a guitar from 1983, I want to ask: is there any footage from 1997 with his White Jackson Soloist? I can't recall ever seeing one. Or pictures. Also, I'm curious for which songs he used this guitar. If I'm not mistaken, he also used it live in 1988 (maybe in 1986 too) - it was probably the one with the sticker on it, there was a photo from the 1988 tour.

Well, he's doing great with the attendance for his Spoken tour, so I guess we can double those figures. ;)
Adrian used the Dean Baby ML, because he plays TCW in baritone tuning ( BEADGB ).

Both white Jacksons (the ME Superstrat and Soloist) were backups for his #1 Sunburst Strat at that point, while LP Deluxe was the Drop D guitar and in standard for Taking The Queen and Flight Of Icarus. A white Jackson RR was the drop D backup.

So, to see either Jackson Strat or Jackson Soloist, something should have happened to the sunburst strat. Tuning or string breakage.

Considering that in the last 10+ years I have never seen H use the main standard-tuned tremolo backup guitar, I'd say the chances are pretty slim. Even when he threw the green Jackon at the floor in 2018 at the end of Wicker Man, Sean tuned it during SOTC and he played it on Flight Of Icarus.

Adrian used the Dean Baby ML, because he plays TCW in baritone tuning ( BEADGB ).

Both white Jacksons (the ME Superstrat and Soloist) were backups for his #1 Sunburst Strat at that point, while LP Deluxe was the Drop D guitar and in standard for Taking The Queen and Flight Of Icarus. A white Jackson RR was the drop D backup.

So, to see either Jackson Strat or Jackson Soloist, something should have happened to the sunburst strat. Tuning or string breakage.
Jackson RR, cool. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Adrian with this guitar.

I do not think would be pulling those big numbers as a solo artist…
In bigger cities like London, Berlin, Paris - without a problem.
On his orchestra tour in March he pulled half of those numbers just by playing only two songs from his solo career (and the majority of audience I saw at the gig wore Maiden shirts).

I think he could play the 2,500 venue in Dublin, probably a bigger one if there was one available, but don't think he'd play the same venue as Maiden, unless if some of the seats were curtained off.

Saying that, if the album is good and has a hit single off it....

He's the singer of Maiden now, and when he toured last as a solo artist, he was the ex-singer of Maiden, and Maiden themselves were the dinosaur band playing toilets.

We shouldn’t forget that Iron Maiden’s leader is struggling to sell out very small venues with his solo project.

Whilst Bruce’s solo career is arguably much more exciting, him being Maiden’s singer does not necessarily guarantee shifting 5000 tickets for a solo show.

I can definitely see him doing Academy type venues here in the UK. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets announced for KK's Steel Mill in Wolverhampton, seems like every metal band and its dog is being announced for there.

They should get clever and have Bruce tour with Rob Halford as his opener, doing "The One You Love To Hate" and "Tyranny Of Souls" as duets in the encores. Might juice the audience numbers a bit.

They should get clever and have Bruce tour with Rob Halford as his opener, doing "The One You Love To Hate" and "Tyranny Of Souls" as duets in the encores. Might juice the audience numbers a bit.
Maybe he will sell 50 extra tickets.

Bruce is probably able to do roughly 3k capacity venues, give or take. In Norway the most likely venue is maybe Sentrum Scene where Maiden played in 1995. Capacity around 1,800.

Saying that, if the album is good and has a hit single off it....

He's the singer of Maiden now, and when he toured last as a solo artist, he was the ex-singer of Maiden, and Maiden themselves were the dinosaur band playing toilets.
I don't think that even matters. He will play old material too and after such a long break the fans are hungry. I think Bruce is (easily) capable of reaching those numbers, JP numbers now let's say. He is one of the most famous vocalists in metal and his solo career is liked a lot, so the comparison with Steve's solo band above is not accurate - vocalist and bassist/guitarist, it's different. Not the Maiden numbers (even with Adrian I guess), but being in Maiden now is an advantage.

What if, Bruce's band will be support act on the upcoming Maiden tour? :eek: I guess, that would be too physically demanding. But great.

Yeah, Maiden sell five digit numbers per gig nowdays and Bruce can't even come close to that, but depending on the number of dates (if it was short, like a 15 non-festival dates run) and market (bigger cities) I think he could fill arenas same as some lower tier metal bands (a la Megedeth and such). Also add the fact that he hasn't had a "typical" solo gig for over 20 years.

We shouldn’t forget that Iron Maiden’s leader is struggling to sell out very small venues with his solo project.
OK, this throws argument "everything related to Maiden profits" out of the window, but their solo work are quite different. Steve's is relatively "new", he's not doing heavy promotion and to be honest - it isn't talked about even on this forum where majority of people are Maiden fans. Bruce's, on the other hand, is known far beyond Maiden fan base for many years now. And let's not forget hit single he had in 90s.

OK, this throws argument "everything related to Maiden profits" out of the window, but their solo work are quite different. Steve's is relatively "new", he's not doing heavy promotion and to be honest - it isn't talked about even on this forum where majority of people are Maiden fans. Bruce's, on the other hand, is known far beyond Maiden fan base for many years now. And let's not forget hit single he had in 90s.

I agree with this. I simply can't get into British Lion, because the vocalist bores me to tears. Bruce on the other hand started kinda experimental, but ever since AOB found his footing in metal.

Back