Your top 5 metal songs

1. Aces High - Iron Maiden
2. Fear Of The Dark - Iron Maiden
3. Betrayer - Kreator
4. Cry Of The Brave - DragonForce
5. Hell Is A War - Annihilator

This is really tough, dozens of songs come to mind but Ill try and list what are my current favourites
1. Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver: A great song from their 1976 album Sad Wings Of Destiny. Rob Halford gives a great vocal performance and the solos are mind blowing.
2. Kamelot - Memento Mori: kamelot are a band Ive been listening to a lot recently. This song is from The Black Halo released in 2005.Its the center piece if you like, of the album. A really moving song with great instrumental parts and splendid vocals.
3. Biomechanical - Assaulter: This song got me into Biomechanical. A bewildering song with insane singing. The vocalist sounds like a mix of Phil Anselmo and Rob Halford.  :bigsmile:
4.Iron Maiden - The Trooper: What can I say. This song always sends a shiver of anticipation up my spine when I watch a concert video. Perfect!
5.Death - Voice Of The Soul: This one is easily the best and most moving instrumental I have ever heard. the multi layered guitars are mesmerizing.

Well, here's my top 5...

1. Paschendale (come on, it's H!  :wub:) It was either that or Wasted Years  :D
2. Kashmir- Stairway is a close 2nd! Kashmir is outstanding!
3. Judas Priest-anything off of Unleashed In the East, but I'll say Victim Of Changes-killer scream at the end!
4. Metallica-Master Of Puppets
5. Rainbow-Stargazer-Dio is killer! Man On the Silver Mountain is great too

We are talking metal right? JK

1. Number of the beast-Iron Maiden
2. Cematary gates-Pantera
3. Ace of spades-Motorhead
4. For whom the bells toll-Metallica
5. Fuck like a beast-W.A.S.P

Phantom Of the Opera - Iron Maiden
One - Metallica
Take No Prisioners - Megadeth
How The Gods Kill - Danzig
Silent Lucidity - Queensryche

I was thinking about this on the way into work tonight...here's my list (subject to change)

1. Victim Of Changes - Judas Priest
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Some Band I can't remember  :innocent:
3. Don't Break The Circle - Demon
4. Turned To Stone - Budgie
5. For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metalichype

1. By Iron Maiden, Paschendale: The greatest song I have ever heard.  The first time I listened to it, I wept.  It's a gorgeous piece of music that touches the soul and scares me through the horrors of mankind's machinated violence.  The last veterans of the Great War are dying off.  But this sort of song helps to preserve a miniscule piece of that horror.
2. By BLAZE, Stare at the Sun: Absolutely beautiful song about the fate that may encompass our race - a handful of survivors who may be doomed to wander the cosmos forever, worldless, if our precious globe is damaged or destroyed through our own wrongs.
3. By Bruce Dickinson, Silver Wings: Probably the best "fast" track I've ever heard.  The chorus is absolutely beautiful.  "Tonight, on silver wings, I'll be soaring through the mountains of the moon..." I mean, wow.  And the music rocks, just drills and nails it.  Awesome song.  Absolutely awesome.
4. By Blind Guardian, Mirror Mirror: The best song from their best album, Mirror Mirror is a stellar speed track with a great theme and epic lyrics (not that it's hard to hit epic when you're writing about Tolkien's work).  Great on Live.  Really showcases Hansi's vocals.
5. By Iced Earth, A Question of Heaven: Brilliantly melancholic and epic, a song that hits the heart of me everytime I listen to it.  Barlow is in true form here.  Amazing to think such a beautiful piece of music is inspired by a comic book!

LooseCannon said:
3. By Bruce Dickinson, Silver Wings: Probably the best "fast" track I've ever heard.  The chorus is absolutely beautiful.  "Tonight, on silver wings, I'll be soaring through the mountains of the moon..." I mean, wow.  And the music rocks, just drills and nails it.  Awesome song.  Absolutely awesome.

Love that one mate!

Might be my favourite Bruce track. A stunning midpiece!! Groovy and supersolo!

I have a heard time ordering the top five, so it'll be quite arbitrary. But I guess it'll serve as a decent measure of my metalness :p

1. Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name.

It took quite a while before this got lodged in my consciousness as a Maiden-fan. I kept to the shorter stuff like Aces High, The Trooper and so on for quite a while before I rediscovered this gem. But now, after having listened to it more times than any other song for the past few years, I'm sure that this has to be number one. The lyrics, the build-up. Everything is just brilliant.

2. Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Paranoid was the first Heavy Metal album I ever owned, and Iron Man was the one track that kept getting played over and over again. It's a classic in every sense of the word. Even though there are plenty of Sabbath-songs that have better lyrics or are musically more intricate, this one will have to be my favourite.

3. Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding

The first Bruce Dickinson track that really jabbed its little metal claws into my brain and stuck there. Naturally, it's also one of his best. While it edges into power-ballad-territory, it remains one of the most complete songs on the album, or throughout his career. It has a killer riff, and the atmosphere is great. There are plenty of other Bruce songs that could rival it. Jerusalem, Book Of Thel, Tears Of The Dragon, but some of them (Dragon and Jerusalem in particular) lack the metal-factor a bit. Something that doesn't bother me, but in a list of metal-songs, Chemical Wedding is a more fitting choice.

4. Black Sabbath - Sign Of The Southern Cross

The Dio years... I was heavily against them first. Having been baptised into Heavy Metal by Ozzy's primeval howl, I just couldn't get behind Dio's sometimes forced "growl", as heard in the chorus of Heaven & Hell for instance. However, after having not touched that period since I was fifteen, I rediscovered it about two or three months ago. And seeing as how I was now a bit more distanced to my Ozzy-ism, I realised how brilliant Dio was in his own right. Heaven & Hell is great, and Mob Rules surpasses it in more or less every aspect. There are plenty of great songs (The Mob Rules, Country Girl, Over and Over and Falling Off The Edge Of The World are my faves), but Sign Of The Southern Cross really exemplifies Sabbath at its greatest. Slow, steady, riffs straight down your spine.

5. Bruce Dickinson/Skunkworks - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath/Black Sabbath, Live In Chilé

This is not an official release and I found it on a bootleg/rarities torrent. Technically Bruce announced it as "off of Nativity In Black", which is where he covered SBS together with Godspeed. However, this version is quite a lot different. The thing that really makes this performance shine is the amazing drumming by Allesandro Elena. He doesn't do much, but he adds a few beats with a bass-drum here and there, and it really lifts the song sky-high for me. It was already one of my favourite songs to start with. Add to that the fact that Dickinson is one of the few people who can cover Sabbath with any kind of integrity and you've got a winner.

Disclaimer: I know this makes me seem quite narrow in my tastes, and that is partly true. But I chose to omit bands like Led Zeppelin, Queen, Deep Purple and UFO because to me they're not quite metal. I would have loved to have added stuff like Explosions in the Sky, who do have some immensely heavy songs, but still hide away safely in the "post-rock"-pigeonhole.

1.Hallowed be thy name - Iron Maiden
2.Fear of the dark - Iron Maiden
3.Heaven and hell - Black Sabbath
4. Holy Diver - Dio
5. Paranoid - Black Sabbath

1. Deep Purple - Child in Time (not exactly metal, but where'd metal be without Deep Purple)
2. Iron Maiden - Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
3. Iced Earth - The coming Curse
4. Iron Maiden - The Sign of the Cross
5. Metallica - Fade to Black

Right now these are my top 5 favorite songs. (No particular order)

1. Iron Maiden - Sign Of The Cross, can't get enough of this maiden song, I just love every bit of it.
2. Blind Guardian - The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight, magical singing and storytelling, I just bloody love the songwriting.
3. Bruce Dickinson - Jerusalem, grandiose lyrics and epic mood, with ripping guitar work.
4. Iron Maiden - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, crazy bird curse + epic + Bruce's vocals + Musical genius = ROTAM
5. Judas Priest - Painkiller, frantic, fast, ripping vocals, ballsy guitar work, epitome of a speed metal great.

Someone called me ?  :p  :lol:

This is really difficult. Might change, and since Maiden  is my favorite band i could easily choose 5 Maiden songs.
But, let´s see. I will choose the bands which i have grown with:

1 - Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy name  - although now i´m not so addicted to hear it everyday (who knows in November ? ). In the last week i listened to No prayer everyday and i was somewhat in love with Tailgunner... :wub:  :halo:
2 - Metallica - One - I like old Metallica (1980's stuff) a lot. This song is my favorite. I am seeing regularly in youtube their 1989 stuff and i am trully amazed. I think back then they were in the best shape ever and i #need# to buy that expensive thing... well, nevermind.
3 - - Helloween - Eagle Fly Free - The earlier Helloween is on the top of my favourite acts.
4 - Manowar  - Master of the Wind - Probably not their best track. I obliged myself to choose a Manowar song, since they´re one of the first bands i listened in a regular basis and was the first band which i have the entire catalog (ups, i don´t have #yet# their 2007 album, i´m less interested in them, even more since their 2002 effort).
5 - Gun´s n Roses - Coma. I don´t like Guns musicians a lot in terms of personality, but as a band they made fine songs. Coma it´s probably my favourite (now). I don´t listen them to much nowadays, but they deserve it, again because of the same reasons which i mentioned Manowar.

Other Honourable mentions: AC\DC (Thunderstruck), Megadeth (A tout le monde), Black Sabbath (Paranoid), Rhapsody [of fire] (Warrior of Ice).

*sigh* I posted my top 5 back in June and now it's changed!

1. Paschendale *not this one*  :D
2. Kashmir- Classic Zeppelin track.
3. Nothing Else Matters- This is my #1 Metallica song. I've heard another version of this song, but the end was cut off!  :mad: Something like "elevator version?" Anyone know what I'm talking about?
4. Arc Of Space- Ever since I got Accident Of Birth, I have really gotten into it. This song made me tear up.  :blush:
5. Victim Of Changes- WOW! Killer, killer screams all throughout that album! My husband got me liking it after we first met. It's his #1 live album of all time.

So close: Child In Time, Chemical Wedding, Stare At the Sun, about 5 other Maiden songs  :D
Also Stargazer, Man On the Silver Mountain, Children Of the Sea...

I'll post my top 5 again in another 4 months  :p

Powergirl81 said:
*sigh* I posted my top 5 back in June and now it's changed!

1. Paschendale *not this one*  :D
2. Kashmir- Classic Zeppelin track.
3. Nothing Else Matters- This is my #1 Metallica song. I've heard another version of this song, but the end was cut off!  :mad: Something like "elevator version?" Anyone know what I'm talking about?
4. Arc Of Space- Ever since I got Accident Of Birth, I have really gotten into it. This song made me tear up.  :blush:
5. Victim Of Changes- WOW! Killer, killer screams all throughout that album! My husband got me liking it after we first met. It's his #1 live album of all time.

So close: Child In Time, Chemical Wedding, Stare At the Sun, about 5 other Maiden songs  :D
Also Stargazer, Man On the Silver Mountain, Children Of the Sea...

I'll post my top 5 again in another 4 months  :p

That version of Nothing Else MAtters might very well have been Lucy Silva's cover. I think cutting the song before the solo in the end is a very bad idea, because the song loses variation - and actually Metallica's original has a sort of build-up which is lost when one cuts the last minute and a half.

I don't think I'm able to think out my five favourite songs in a way that I will be able to defend with reasonable arguments, so I'll just list five songs that I like a lot.

Well, I think I'll have two Maiden songs here. And these are going to be:

- Paschendale
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- Then we put some Metallica in here. Ummm... a lot to choose from. I say Creeping Death.
-  Deep Purple - Child in Time. The lyrics, the Hammond melodies, the guitar solo and Ian Gillan's singing. Fantastic. A real classic.
- Hmmm, let's see. Can I include a song that is not strictly metal, but more straight hard rock? Well, I'll do it, here we go. AC/DC - Hell's Bells. The intro riff is the very first thing I learnt on guitar  :)

Raising the dead here.......

This one got me thinking......how the hell do you choose you're top 5 Metal tracks?  I've decided to go with the songs that have stayed with me over the years.  So in no particular order....first things to spring to mind.....

1.  A Maiden song.........'Hallowed..' among others, has classic status, but 'Montsegur' is a current repeat track.
2.  Manowar........probably 'Blood of my Enemies'
3.  Grim Reaper........'See you in Hell'
4.  Sentenced.........anything from 'The Cold White Light'
5.  Skid Row........'18 and Life'

Cool for raising it tho!  Wow, what a hard thing to itemize...  I'm with you, what songs have I loved over the last 20ish years that have staying power for me.  Here goes:

Infinite Dreams, Iron Maiden. 

Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Metallica

Pull Me Under, Dream Theater

Highway to Hell, AC/DC

Keeper of the Seven Keys, Helloween

...and I look at this list and see that theres no Priest, no Ozzy, no Dio...wow. (Hell, no Scorpions!)

OK, since we're resurrecting the dead, here it goes: (in no particular order except # 1):

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

You may not consider this metal but there is stuff that is classified "metal" that doesn't touch this. My favorite song period.

Eyes of a Stranger - Queensryche

This is difficult to decide because the whole album is so damn good, but this finishes it nicely.

Kill the King - Rainbow

Again, they have so many great songs but this one has always stood out for me, the guitar solo is great.

Tornado of Souls - Megadeth

The best song off of the best album by Megadeth. They played this live when I saw them last October in concert, I almost died.

Where Eagles Dare - Iron Maiden

The first song I ever heard by Maiden (I think, or at least noticed and KNEW it was Maiden). Bruce goes off in this one.

Deano said:
Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Deano, I prefer "Astronomy" by BOC. The following link is not my favourite live version, but it's still a clip of the band, playing it in the seventies. Ignore the weird suit, haha!

My favourite live version is this one, listen here to the audio and see a drummer, drumming along, if you wish. :)

What a guitar work! This song I truly see as one of the best of the seventies. Great melodies, and hard to sit still when hearing it.

...It's the nexus of the crisis
The origin of storms
Just the place to hopelessly
Encounter time and then came me...

Back