Your all-time greatest guitarist list

A

Anonymous

hey guys, just got my hands on a music magazine called 'Record' (published from India); which has an shitty article on 20 greatest guitarists. here's the list:

20. John Frusaciante (RHCP)
19. The Edge (U2)
18. George Harrison (Beatles)
17. Mark Knophler (Dire Straits)
16. Pete Townshend (The Who)
15. David Glimour (Pink Floyd)
14. Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
13. John Fogerty (CCR)
12. Neil Young
11. Frank Zappa
10. Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
09. Carlos Santana
08. Chuck Berry
07. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
06. Stevie Ray Vaughan
05. Robert Johnson
04. Eric Clapton
03. BB King
02. Duane Allman (The Allman Brothers)
01. Jimmy Hendrix

(as much as i hate this list; however, it has prompted me to pick up SRV's Texas Flood album, and boy oh boy, what a good decision it proved to be)
so, here's the deal - give each of yours top 10 list (let's make it shorter, shall we  -_-); and maybe we can learn about one or two new greats. i'll start with mine:

1. Ritchie Blackmore
2. Michael Schenker
3. Neal Schon
4. Eddie Van Halen
5. Murray - H (i know it's cheating; but holy sh*t; without Davey, the universe will crumble  :rolleyes: & if i leave H; well, than i have to keep an eye on my back for the rest of my life or some holy servant of lord H may smite me  ;))
6. Randy Rhoads
7. Tony Iommi
8. John Sykes
9. Brian May
10. Mark Knophler
Mav, can you kindly change the subject of the topic to "your alltime greatest guitarist list". i foolishly pressed the post button unmaturedly... :-[

1. Ritchie Blackmore
2. Michael Schenker
3. Joe Satriani
4. Davey
5. Adrian
6. Randy Rhoads
7. Tony Iommi
8. Eric Clapton - Mr Slowhands
9. Brian May
10. Mark Knophler

I'd like to put in B.B King as well, not as much for his skills but what he did to the Blues... But this list is at least close, although it's damn hard to rank them.

1. Glen Tipton (Judas FUCKING Priest)
2. H
3. Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
4. Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
5. Davey
6. Andreas Edlund (Skyfire)
7. John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
8. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
9. Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
10. Niklas Sundin (Dark Tranquillity)
11. Andy Sneap (Sabbat)
12. Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

These started out in order, but I couldn't be bothered rearranging the rest of the list, so they're in no particular order.  I also went for quality of songwriting over technicality, although technical proficiency is still manifest in all these guitarists :D

Can't decide on ranking but for me the following people rule:

- Adrian Smith
- Dave Murray
- Glenn Tipton
- K.K. Downing
- Alex Lifeson
- Kai Hansen
- Per Nilsson
- Isaac Delahaye
- Jon Schaffer
- Hendrik-Jan de Jong
- Mark Knopfler
- Roy Z
- Tony Iommi

In no particular order:

Robert Vigna (Immolation)
Doug Cerrito (Suffocation)
Quorthon (Bathory)
Patrick Mameli (Pestilence)
Antti Boman (Demilich)
Rob Yench (Morpheus Descends)
Daniel Corchado (The Chasm)
Jussi Kiiski (Demigod)
Rand Burkey (Atheist)
Bill Steer (Carcass)

Robin McAuley said:
...if i leave H; well, than i have to keep an eye on my back for the rest of my life or some holy servant of lord H may smite me  ;))
You better believe it, buster!  :yey:

I feel the need to prophesy coming over me...

Adrian Smith is the Intelligent Designer that all the ignorami keep talking about.
Adrian Smith wrote 63% of Monty Python's jokes.
Adrian Smith can prevent killer meteors from colliding with Earth by just giving them a dirty look.
Adrian Smith owns a dog, and his dog is larger than your dog.
Adrian Smith discovered Upper Mongolia.
Adrian Smith notified the London police about the terror plot to keep Davey from getting blown to bits on the plane.
Adrian Smith thinks SinisterMinisterX should get back to work already.

In no particular order (except the first place :p):
The Three Amigos (you know who they are ;))
Roy Z
Ritchie Blackmore
Tony Iommi
Criss Oliva
John Petrucci
Glenn Tipton & KK Downing

In no order:

Ritchie Blackmore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Kirk Hammett
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Janick Gers
Roy Z
Jimi Hendrix

I have to let this out:
I think "SLASH" is the most overrated person alive.

Black Dragon said:
Robert Vigna (Immolation)
Doug Cerrito (Suffocation)
Quorthon (Bathory)
Patrick Mameli (Pestilence)
Antti Boman (Demilich)
Rob Yench (Morpheus Descends)
Daniel Corchado (The Chasm)
Jussi Kiiski (Demigod)
Rand Burkey (Atheist)
Bill Steer (Carcass)
Nice list ;)  I like how you have a greatly varied musical taste.  You like grindcore and black metal!

Jake said:
I have to let this out:
I think "SLASH" is the most overrated person alive.
Overrated as a person? :eek:

As for greatest guitarist, I'd put it between Jimmy and Jimi.

EDIT: and Dennis Stratton. Conor, you crack me up. ^_^ I wish I could praise you more than once a day.

Ritchie Blackmore, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Adrian Smith, Glen Tipton...

Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Slash (for Sweet Child O' Mine, absolutely brilliant), Eric Clapton, Roy Z, Timmo Tolkki, Tony Iommi, ...

Natalie said:
Slash (for Sweet Child O' Mine, absolutely brilliant)
I don't normally comment on people's opinions but I have to make an exception here :puke:

Conor said:
I don't normally comment on people's opinions but I have to make an exception here :puke:
HEHEHEHE... :funnypost:
I would have to say: Dough Aldrich :notworthy: , Adrian Smith, Glenn Tipton, KK Downing, Ritchie Blackmore, David Gilmour, Tony Iommy, Brian May,

no matter how many people here say otherwise, Slash is one of the best rock guitarists, EVER. his solos reflect his bad ass attiude, yet also very high emotionality. (not only romantic emotions).

And if you put guitarists like Kirk Hammett (what a joke) Dave Murray, Janick Gers above him, you have no clue about hard rock or blues.

eddiesson said:
no matter how many people here say otherwise, Slash is one of the best rock guitarists, EVER. his solos reflect his bad ass attiude, yet also very high emotionality. (not only romantic emotions).

And if you put guitarists like Kirk Hammett (what a joke) Dave Murray, Janick Gers above him, you have no clue about hard rock or blues.

Funny, I thought the forum was called Metal For Life....

eddiesson said:

H02.jpg

Back