Would Maiden be better if they still had Dianno

A

Anonymous

It may be an odd topic but who cares....so what do u think they would be like

This topic is not odd, it's just plain silly. [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

How would Di'anno sound like when he still had Maiden [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .... Paul's voice is totally destroyed after all this grunting he tried to do over the last years.

No, Maiden probably would have ended up like lots of other NWOBHM bands?.....Largely forgotten about.

The 81/82 lineup change (Though slightly risky at the time) proved worthwhile in the end, Dickinson gave the band the hightened popularity they needed.

Eh, I hate to say it, but despite the great instrumentals, Maiden would pretty much suck. Paul's voice kills every song it touches(In my opinion). Maiden is so much better with Bruce or Blaze.

I have to disagree still life. Killers is a great example of a good dianno track. In the end the change was made, it was for the better (it wasn't just paul's singing that was in question but his behaviour) and his voice fit the sound of the time.

Could you imagine Paul on Run to the Hills or Fear of the Dark? I can't, and I want to keep it that way!

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jan 27 2005, 04:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jan 27 2005, 04:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Could you imagine Paul on Run to the Hills or Fear of the Dark?  I can't, and I want to keep it that way!
[snapback]96869[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Amen bother.

No, the probably wouldn't.

I can't imagine Di'anno being able to come close to touching the vocals on songs like "Aces High", "Fear of the Dark", "Ghost of the Navigator", or "Wasted Years".

They'd probably still be doing horror-themed and killer-themed songs instead of having branched out into the realms of fantasy and sci-fi; and I doubt they'd have as many political statements to make in their songs.

Which isn't to say I don't like the Paul Di'anno years; they put out some of my favorite tunes, like "Prowler", "Transylvania", "Killers", "Charlotte the Harlot", and "Iron Maiden"; but I definately feel that the switch was for the better.

no they wouldnt- Bruce dickinson has been with maiden far longer than DiAnno was, thus Dickinson has become the voice of maiden, i couldnt imagin maiden without Bruce- hes got a better vocal range that fits maidens might! rawr!

This is my First post, i was reading this forums since a long time, but i'm joining him only now...
About the topic, at the day 27 of this month i went in a Dianno's tribute to the 25 years of iron maiden, great show, he played some great maiden songs, the first was the ides of march and then wrathchild (obvious) and he played prowler, remember tomorrow, phantom of the opera, killers, sanctuary, running free and others !!! but he done a cover of ramones - hey ho lets go... i think that he still in maiden, maiden would be a little more Punk, and not really metal... [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Steve Harris has always been the driving force behind Maiden. I think it's clearly evident from the way his songwriting progressed that Maiden needed a singer with a range like Bruce to handle the type of songs that Steve wanted to play. So even if DiAnno had avoided his offstage problems and stuck around for another album or two, eventually his vocal limitations would have gotten him canned. The idea that Paul would have kept Maiden going in a more punk-like direction forever is flawed; while he was important to Maiden, he didn't have that much power.

Furthermore, I think that the punk influence on Maiden is vastly overstated. Even the first album is much more metal than punk, and Killers is completely metal. People associate Paul with punk because he looked like a punk rocker back then ... but looks aren't everything.

[!--QuoteBegin-hazy+Jan 11 2005, 10:53 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(hazy @ Jan 11 2005, 10:53 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It may be an odd topic but who cares....so what do u think they would be like
[snapback]95754[/snapback]​
[/quote]

i think they would never have reched the complexity they did with the number of the beast, powerslave, and piece of mind masterpieces. Look what happened with Blaze.

Yes, let's look at the Blaze years... Sign Of The Cross. The Unbeliever. The Clansman. Three of the most complex Maiden tunes ever, and more could be added to that list.

Songwriting complexity was not a problem with Paul. The issue is vocal range, which Paul lacks compared to Bruce. (To be fair, many singers can't compare to Bruce's range.) Paul was great for those two albums, and it's entirely possible that, if he had stayed in the band, further albums would have been great too. But not as great as PoM or Powerslave. Eventually, Paul would have limited Maiden's growth.

Yes, the sign of the cross is an amazing song. Let us not forget though that Steve and Dave are the driving forces, mostly Steve, behind the band. Even if Blaze had made any real creative contributions they are overshadowed by the fact that Bruce sings the songs of the Blaze years better and stronger than Blaze ever could. Paul could not of even dreamed of mastering the vocal difficulties that Bruce does with ease. Point in fact, look at the Rock in Rio DVD when Bruce is climbing and jumping, never mind the fact that Nikko is doing a jig, he has no problem singing the songs perfectly. Blaze and or Paul could never have pulled that off.

no, paul was good in the early days, but bruce destroys him completely...and besides, he's all ruined now...

ahhh don't wake this topic up again. Some mod should close it... [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back