Why Iron Maiden is my favorite band

Josh

Ancient Mariner
It's not just the music (although it's the main part) but the band's integrity.

I was thinking about this the other day. What other band sticks to their guns better than Maiden? What other band put out a double album in 2016?

I look at the douchebaggery of some of the bands I grew up with. Metallica hasn't done anything halfway good since God knows when. They dumped on their fans over file sharing. Lars barely tries to play drums. The entire aura of Metallica went from awesome to I can barely tolerate these guys.

Megadeth? We know the story. Dave went off the deep religious and political end and made some pretty craptastic albums along the way. Not to mention the whacky shit he says during interviews.

Slayer just sucks now although I never really got into them but I mean, it IS Slayer. That used to count for something.

Its like all those bands downgraded. They lost what made them special. They either let riches get to their music or simply stopped being creative altogether. For all of the positive reviews the new Deth album got, it's really just a "relief it's not Risk". If you compare it to the earlier stuff, it's an absolute mess.

Same thing with the new Anthrax album. Sure, it's heavy. It's decent. But I think it's the same thing as Deth. We are just glad it's not a clunker.

It's different with Maiden. There is as much value in Book of Souls as anything else they have done. They still put music first. They are still an imperfect band trying to write good music. They don't sit around and ride off legacy. They could just as well keep playing 80's concerts with no new material and get away with it but they don't. Bruce still goes all in on every show. They don't ingnore new material. They take pride in what they do.

I don't know. It's hard to describe I guess. I don't think I really have to. Maiden fans know what I'm talking about.

I can't agree with Josh on his megadeth/slayer views as I'm still very much enjoying the music these two bands put out. Repentless was much better than I thought it would be and dystopia is a quality album.

As for Iron Maiden, I've often pondered why I consider them my favourite band and there's a ton of reasons but it all comes down to one simple thing: the music. I can honestly say they are the only band I've ever come across where I like every single one of their albums and don't think theirs a single filler songs on anything they've ever released. Of course I like some albums more than others and theirs a few songs I'm not keen on but overall even my least favourite album would be a solid 7/10 and even though there's a few songs I could live without I would never consider anything as album filler material. To me filler implies a song that's just written quickly with no real effort and just chucked on an album to pad out the numbers, a song that the band probably don't really like themselves. I honestly believe Maiden have never done this and whilst a few songs don't work for me I do think the band have always given 100% and wouldn't put a song on an album unless they liked it and at the time thought it worked and was a good choice.

It's not just the music (although it's the main part) but the band's integrity.

I was thinking about this the other day. What other band sticks to their guns better than Maiden? What other band put out a double album in 2016?

I look at the douchebaggery of some of the bands I grew up with. Metallica hasn't done anything halfway good since God knows when. They dumped on their fans over file sharing. Lars barely tries to play drums. The entire aura of Metallica went from awesome to I can barely tolerate these guys.

Megadeth? We know the story. Dave went off the deep religious and political end and made some pretty craptastic albums along the way. Not to mention the whacky shit he says during interviews.

Slayer just sucks now although I never really got into them but I mean, it IS Slayer. That used to count for something.

Its like all those bands downgraded. They lost what made them special. They either let riches get to their music or simply stopped being creative altogether. For all of the positive reviews the new Deth album got, it's really just a "relief it's not Risk". If you compare it to the earlier stuff, it's an absolute mess.

Same thing with the new Anthrax album. Sure, it's heavy. It's decent. But I think it's the same thing as Deth. We are just glad it's not a clunker.

It's different with Maiden. There is as much value in Book of Souls as anything else they have done. They still put music first. They are still an imperfect band trying to write good music. They don't sit around and ride off legacy. They could just as well keep playing 80's concerts with no new material and get away with it but they don't. Bruce still goes all in on every show. They don't ingnore new material. They take pride in what they do.

I don't know. It's hard to describe I guess. I don't think I really have to. Maiden fans know what I'm talking about.
I am a Maiden fan but I've had a problem with them doing 80s tours for three consecutive years. Three consecutive years of eighties tours have contributed to the five years without new music. It can be argued that they did ignore releasing new material for a while. E.g. they could have entered the studio in 2013 and release something in that year or 2014. What's in one year? Well, time is running out and I rather don't see them touring very long with the same thing, especially when it is old music. More time for creativity please. I also love the band for their integrity, but feel that "trading in" their creativity for touring with old music has damaged their integrity somewhat. As has releasing a nineties best of album without Blaze on it. As has covering their 1986-1988 history. As has ignoring their most difficult period (by hardly playing songs from this time, or by hardly talking about this time). This last thing can still be changed!

Last edited:
Yeah. Maiden can't see themselves free from riding on the past either. Although I think that's more a management decision than what the band actually wants. The management knows where the money is and probably sets up a lot of tour ideas for them to coincide with whatever release they've got going at the time. The positive is that they manage to do both, push forward and tour on their past.

Do people really think Maiden still chase £/$ these days?

I don't think for one minute they played the history tours for money nor why the maiden England tour lasted so long. I just think they were having a lot of fun and just decided to carry on.

The band must have so much money these days that they can do pretty much anything they want. Sure they probably have a lot of overheads to take care of as the iron maiden machine certainly employs a lot of people but I still don't think that Rod ever has to sit down with the band and say "right lads, we need to do a specific tour as we need a big cash injection".

I think it's too optimistic to think that the band just spends three years on the road because they love playing old songs for people. There's obviously a management push somewhere in that..The band is celebrating their past and are re-releasing old stuff. Of course getting the band out there live will ship more copies and also rejuvenate the sale of their entire back catalog. That's what it's all about. I'm not saying that they HAVE to get out there and chase money to survive, but of course money is an issue as well when you're a band like Iron Maiden.

They're still a business, or rather a group of associated businesses. It's rare for anyone to give up on running a businesses because they feel they've already made enough money. It's maybe not as cynical as Rod cracking the whip, telling them to come up with something, but they do generally have something either happening or in the pipeline. The only real gap I can think of was due to Bruce's illness.

I think it's too optimistic to think that the band just spends three years on the road because they love playing old songs for people. There's obviously a management push somewhere in that...Not saying that they HAVE to get out there and chase money to survive, but of course money is an issue as well when you're a band like Iron Maiden.
Or maybe they weren't scheduled for a new album until 2015, and they had the summer of 2014 off. So instead of doing nothing they did a couple of shows, and the easiest to do was Maiden England part 3.
These guys are all about the music. Why else would Steve bother make solo albums and do pub shows? He fills out stadiums all over the world for f*ck sake, why bother playing in small venues? It's his passion for music.

Or maybe they weren't scheduled for a new album until 2015, and they had the summer of 2014 off. So instead of doing nothing they did a couple of shows, and the easiest to do was Maiden England part 3.
These guys are all about the music. Why else would Steve bother make solo albums and do pub shows? He fills out stadiums all over the world for f*ck sake, why bother playing in small venues? It's his passion for music.

Did some editing to my first post:

There's obviously a management push somewhere in that..The band is celebrating their past and are re-releasing old stuff. Of course getting the band out there live will ship more copies and also rejuvenate the sale of their entire back catalog. That's what it's all about. I'm not saying that they HAVE to get out there and chase money to survive, but of course money is an issue as well when you're a band like Iron Maiden.

Well yeah but do you think it was Iron Maiden or Steve who went to Smallwood and the management and suggested they could go out on the road and perform songs from the 80 becasue they had some time off? Nah mate...Management makes decisions on that "it would be a good time to do so and so" and then they'd contact Steve.

They're still a business, or rather a group of associated businesses. It's rare for anyone to give up on running a businesses because they feel they've already made enough money. It's maybe not as cynical as Rod cracking the whip, telling them to come up with something, but they do generally have something either happening or in the pipeline. The only real gap I can think of was due to Bruce's illness.

Yep.

One of the stories I'm a bit tired of is the continuing...."Maiden builds their fanbase without radio play and advertising!" Yes...this might have been true from about 1978 to 1982-ish but common they're one of the biggest metal bands in the world today with one of the biggest managements behind them, They're flying a JUMBO JET across the world for crying out loud :) It's a good image though and it's never left them :D and we as fans love to think it still fits them, this hard working band who never gave way to trends and who fought their way up....It's an image that binds us together right? :D

Last edited:
Yep.

One of the stories I'm a bit tired of is the continuing...."Maiden builds their fanbase without radio play and advertising!" Yes...this might have been true from about 1978 to 1982-ish but common they're one of the biggest metal bands in the world today with one of the biggest managements behind them :) It's a good image though and it's never left them :D

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've never got this whole "Maiden against the world" thing where it's all about "we got where we are with no radio and media support blah blah blah."

Not a chance, they were on top of the pops with running free FFS, the biggest music tv program of its day it's in the UK!! I can only speak from a uk point of view but I've seen maiden plastered everywhere over the years. Loads of mtv exposure, loads of magazine exposure albums/singles being sold in all mainstream record stores next to the big pop acts.

Even back in the 80's they had constant top 10 singles and loads of press coverage. Even when they started they had a huge following and their first record deal was a 3 album deal on a massive major label who has consistently pushed/marketed them over the years.

ot a chance, they were on top of the pops with running free FFS, the biggest music tv program of its day!! I can only speak from a uk point of view but I've seen maiden plastered everywhere over the years. Loads of mtv exposure, loads of magazine exposure albums/singles being sold in all mainstream record stores next to the big pop acts.

Exactly. I believe Bruce even talked about it on the Maiden England DVD/album..thanking the fans for sticking with them and buying the albums without any publicity at all etc...Same year they had been headlining Donington :p

No. The gap became bigger because of his illness, but without (being aware of) it, they were still aiming for a 2015 release. They could, if they wanted, start recording a new album one year earlier (before they found out about his illness).

I don't think they have to give up on running their business if they start a bit earlier with focusing on a new album.

Last edited:
I am a Maiden fan but I've had a problem with them doing 80s tours for three consecutive years. Three consecutive years of eighties tours have contributed to the five years without new music. It can be argued that they did ignore releasing new material for a while. E.g. they could have entered the studio in 2013 and release something in that year or 2014. What's in one year? Well, time is running out and I rather don't see them touring very long with the same thing, especially when it is old music. More time for creativity please. I also love the band for their integrity, but feel that "trading in" their creativity for touring with old music has damaged their integrity somewhat. As has releasing a nineties best of album without Blaze on it. As has covering their 1986-1988 history. As has ignoring their most difficult period (by hardly playing songs from this time, or by hardly talking about this time). This last thing can still be changed!

Although i agree with you on wanting the band to focus much more on creating new music, i also think it's a double-edged sword. Although we'd like them to record (even) more music, maybe it is that time that they spend away from it that keeps it fresh and interesting for them and, as a consequence, for us. The albums continue to be for the most us relevant and interesting. And that, i believe, is why their music continues to evolve without losing "credibility" and without sounding forced, because they keep it interesting for themselves first and foremost. That being said, i still believe the next album (considering there will be one) will come out way ealier than TBOS did because of what the band experienced with Bruce's illness, if you know what i mean. First half of 2018, i'd say.

As for covering their 1986-1988 history goes, i think you (and we) have to understand that it was a HUGE turnpoint for the band, mainly because they began using sounds that were never explored before by the band and, at the time, it was somewhat controversial. It was the pinnacle of thrash and Iron Maiden were using synths and "evolving" their sound, so i think that period was a chapter in itself, you know?

I meant that they hardly gave it attention on their history DVD. Still, the content of the 2012-2014 tours speak from theirselves (although hardly focus on 1986).

But this point is the least of my concerns. I could scratch it, if you like. ;)

As for Iron Maiden, I've often pondered why I consider them my favourite band and there's a ton of reasons but it all comes down to one simple thing: the music. I can honestly say they are the only band I've ever come across where I like every single one of their albums and don't think theirs a single filler songs on anything they've ever released.

Relatively said - this. Though I actually think they did some songs that could be described as "filler"/"Maiden by Numbers", there's not really that many of those.

It's the combination of the beautiful guitar melodies and harmonies, multipart songs and the fact they are so melodic even the worst of their songs are catchy as f*ck. Also Nicko, who I realise more and more is actually quite unique in his sound and approach.

I'm probably in the minority here in that I do not consider Maiden all that adventurous and "innovative late in their career" - I imagine something else under that (whether a serious progression as with Beatles or for example the bands that changed genres altogether) and although I love love love them, they do not change the winning formula all that much, but that also means they've never disappointed me so far.

You see (and I know I'm sort of stealing from some of the old philosophers), the ideal music for me must satisfy all the parts - the brain, the heart and the gut. That is, it must be at least partially clever/not dumb, it must be melodic/emotional and it must be heavy/edgy. Whether that last one means blastbeats or the simple Sturm und Drang of Jethro Tull, I don't care.

Techdeath is usually missing the heart aspect, classic prog and classical usually miss the "guts" factor etc.
Maiden have all three.

However,
I also love the band for their integrity, but feel that "trading in" their creativity for touring with old music has damaged their integrity somewhat. As has releasing a nineties best of album without Blaze on it. As has covering their 1986-1988 history. As has ignoring their most difficult period (by hardly playing songs from this time, or by hardly talking about this time). This last thing can still be changed!

They're still a business, or rather a group of associated businesses.

Yeah. Maiden can't see themselves free from riding on the past either. Although I think that's more a management decision than what the band actually wants. The management knows where the money is and probably sets up a lot of tour ideas for them to coincide with whatever release they've got going at the time. The positive is that they manage to do both, push forward and tour on their past.

so I wouldn't be as idealistic as the OP is. Of course they play it safe, at least somewhat. I don't believe they actually enjoy playing TNOTB day after day, year after year. The fact they are as popular as they are nowadays means there must be someone in the background saying, for example, "no Blaze songs, full stop." There is a lot of bands in the world that are very talented and "doing it for the art", and many of those often don't even lift off the ground. Maiden have, they are one of the most famous bands ever.

Considering their/his output in the last twenty years, nobody will convince me 'Arry actually likes to play the title track every night.

Nice post @JudasMyGuide but when it comes to the actual music I believe Maiden is given free reign to decide what makes it live or not. I don't think the management gets too many says in that. That's one of the few things that is left entirely up to the band - the music itself. The management can say when they want an album or when the band goes on tour...but the music is still controlled by the band. Smallwood would never get involved in how Steve plays or how Bruce sings his lyrics....that's their part.

Last edited:
To address the original post, yes, I think Maiden have an image of integrity, regardless of how accurate that is. Individual members are considered down to earth, that's part of their appeal. People look at Nicko and Steve in particular as people you'd bump into down the pub. In fact, if you hang around Yarm for long enough, by all accounts, you probably will end up bumping into Janick in the local.

I don't think you can realistically look at Maiden's appeal without taking into account their music too. Along with quality remaining musically very good today, Maiden's older stuff has aged very well. The themes of their songs have successfully evolved from ostentacious derring-do and camp horror favoured in the 80s, through the 90s requirement of grittier and more meaningful, to the more recent return to dramatic themes but from an enlightened standpoint.

If we're going to make comparisons, personally I'm lukewarm about the original thrash scene in general. In the context of how metal has developed, I find it too much of a halfway house between old style heavy metal and more extreme metal which has developed fully since bands like Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth made their breakthough. I think they've struggled considerably with their own musical direction.

Back