Why i love maiden

I listen to Slipknot. In fact, 'Vol 3' is one of my favourite albums in my collection.
I think you are trying to say here, that other people's musical opinions somehow get into their political views?

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+Dec 15 2005, 04:25 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Dec 15 2005, 04:25 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I listen to Slipknot. In fact, 'Vol 3' is one of my favourite albums in my collection.
I think you are trying to say here, that other people's musical opinions somehow get into their political views?
[snapback]125152[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Nope, they like slipknot, (even I like one or two songs) but they don't give a crap about other peoples views, and if in doesn't fit them then their music is "gay" or the entire band is "fags" or something like that. Their political has nothing to do with their music taste, but i'm trying to paint a picture of these people, so I wrote down a few important things. The fact they're wannabe nazists, can't be changed (or they're not nazi, perhaps they're think it's cool being a nazi or something just as horrible). In other words, they're morons

Ok, here goes.

Whenever I started secondary school (what you Americans would call 'high school'), I knew no metal bands at all. I knew OF Ozzy Osbourne, thanks to the MTV show, and I knew of Slipknot, as one of my friends once said 'Slipknot are evil, they kill puppies' (not saying thats true or not, I don't know). My first encounter with Maiden (other than Teenage Dirtbag) was in music class in 1st year. One of my friends brought in a CD to sing to (we all had to do some kind of musical performance), and although I can't fully remember I think it was NotB. I think I'm right, as there was a quiet bit at the start, and the teacher must have heard the 666 part, because she gave him a detention [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, that passed, and my life continued without music at all. It was a year or two later that my friend introduced me to Metallica, lending me Master of Puppets. I lapped it up 100%, but still didn't get into metal.
The turning point in my life came about a week before easter 2005. I was in Italy with a school trip, and we were going home to Rome Airport. We were four hours on the coach [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . I asked my friend (same one who lent me MoP) if I could have a lend of his CD player, as he had recently bought Queen's greatest hits a few days before, and I liked Queen. He told me he didn't have his CD Player, that was someone else's, but he lent me his minidisc player. Flicking through his discs (and skipping RiR thanks to my n00b-ness) I put in S&M. That began it. Next day, I bought MoP, Black Album and a CD Walkman.

What does this have to do with Maiden? Well, I started off with a lot of Metallica, borrowed some Led Zeppelin, but it wasn't until one of my other friends got me into Children of Bodom that it began. My first encounter with Maiden was Aces High, the Bodom Cover. I loved that song. I also loved Sentenced's cover of the trooper. So, before the summer, I had two Maiden covers, and had heard some 10 second clips via MSN Plus. It wasn't until the start of the summer that I decided to get into Maiden. I clearly remember slipping a note to my friend in class asking which Maiden album to get-he said NotB, ed the great or RiR. so i decided to get RiR after doing some research. I went to my music store and to my dismay saw that they had no Rock in Rio's. I asked when they would get some and they said next week. I'm an imaptient bastard, so I got Edward the Great for three quid instead (god I love sales and gift vouchers [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). As soon as I got to the car, I popped the Cd in and opened the booklet. From that first drum intro to the end, I was in love. Completely. No other album ever had me so hooked. That was when my affair began.

And I never would've guessed it would've ended up like that. Maiden is my life now-no other band equals them in my opinion. Priest, Nightwish and Bodom come close, as do Megadeth and (old) Metallica, but first and foremost I love Maiden. They've changed my life. Hell, they ARE my life.
Now that I've sent all you to sleep, I hope you weren't too bored by my life story. (And if this doesn't post and I have to type it all again, I will cry)

Really a good topic, and my story is very simular. I saw the album Number of the Beast in a used record store in 1984 based solely on the art work (I used to draw a great deal) and after listening to it on my rocking Sears stereo, to Invaders, I never looked back.
I must have listened to that tape hundreds of times; then the next week I asked the record store guy what other records they had; he has Iron Maiden and Killers in stock.
I nearly crapped my pants; didn't really know what to think of the singer, but DAMN the music was raw! I have goose bumps now just thinking about it.

The next week, I went back to pick up the one that I had on order; Piece of Mind. My family went to visit my aunt and uncle and I put the tape in his steareo (must have been built by God Himself!) and after that weird short ascending beep thing, I heard the drums kick in to Where Eagles Dare;
Holy.Shit.
The sound was even MORE raw and dirty, if that were even possible than the other three and as a bonus, the song Still Life turned out to be about one of my favorite books (I found out later). Truth be told, it was because of To Tame a Land that I read Dune; the movie was ok, book was better....

Another year and I bought Powerslave and once again, I was pleasantly suprised. Iron Maiden spoiled me! The had me used to loving every album; I was in for a disappointment with most other bands, which is why Maiden remains my all time favorite metal (the ARE metal) bands.

In no order, favorite bands (since everyone likes lists):
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Rush (I know, prog rock, but for 3 guys, they sound like 12)
Ozzy (the first 2 with Randy Rhoads)

Tim

Yesterday I saw a post on a forum which for me is the ultimate compliment you can give to Iron Maiden. The person is not even a great fan, so it was cool to read this.:

"I'm not the biggest Iron Maiden fan, but nobody can say they're "just another heavy metal band"; not only for being the most important and influential band of this genre, but also because they have an unmistakable sound. There are many bands that sound like Judas Priest, but who sounds like Iron Maiden? You can hear their influence in many bands, but they're still unique. People who think Iron Maiden is a "typical heavy metal band" is wrong.

My favourite albums are those ones that sound slightly more experimental ("Somewhere in Time" and "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"). But the fact is that my main preferences are in other styles."

Well, here's my story.

My Dad had just bought "The Best Air Guitar Album In The World...Ever! 2" and I decided to give it a listen. One of the songs on there was Run To The Hills. At the time, I had heard of Maiden, and I think I'd even heard that song a couple of times before, but not thought much of it. At the time, I was into new punk rock bands such a Blink 182, Sum 41 and Green Day (I know, I know...).

However, now I had this CD, I used to listen to it all the time so, consequently, I listened to RTTH rather a lot.

Then, about a year later (after having kinda gone off that CD for a bit), I was raiding my Dad's CD collection and found Dance Of Death. I asked him "Is this band any good?" And he replied "Meh... It was a secret Santa present, I've never really listened to it." (Just a note here - this secret santa was at my Dad's work, and they knew he used to be into rock music in the 70s-80s, so they presumed he'd like Maiden, but he didn't really.)

So, I took the album with me on our family holidays, and I was listening to it all the time. I was hooked from then on. I'd never really listened to metal music before (save for Nu-metal, but that doesn't really count, now does it?), and the distinctive sound of Maiden made me fall in love with them there and then. It was the fact that I'd never heard anything like them before that really intrigued me. I would describe the songs on DOD as "epic," (If you get me...) and I just couldn't stop listening.

From there, I decided that I really should look for some more stuff by Maiden. After a bit o' searching on the internet, I managed to get hold of Powerslave, SSOASS, NOTB and Piece Of Mind.

And that's where it all started.

Back