Who are your second favourite metal band?

Real World

Maindenfans.com Founder
Or put another way.... if there were a Maidenfans for every metal band on the planet, which would be the second website you visited after ours :p

Personally I love Queensryche so a queensrychefans.com would be great :)

Probably Dark Tranquillity, due to their fairly unique sound and high level of consistency...while they had some dodgy moments on Projector, the rest of their discography is fairly solid, sometimes to the point that people think they sound too homogenous (but, in reality, their sound does vary from album to album).  They've also been far more than just another 'let's recycle some Maiden riffs' Gothenburg band to me (although some people may disagree[sup]1[/sup]...)

However, after DT (and they only just rise above my third favourite bands), there's a huge mass of bands that come to the forefront regularly (Megadeth, Priest, Slayer, Ensiferum, Tristania, Wintersun, Sabbat (at the minute) et al).  I guess Maiden and DT just click with me more, as there's only one DT song I truly hate, and I love most of the rest...and I can't really think of any Maiden songs that I really despise (hell, even The Apparition has cool lyrics going for it!)

[sup]1[/sup]*coughUltraBoriscough*

At the moment, it is quite possibly Anathema (although they may not now be fully classed as metal - but they used to be). If not them, then Amorphis.

Sabbat from the UK. I've been on a Sabbat binge for the past year or more, and just can't seem to get enough of them. Crisp, clear thrash, amazing riffs and some of the most astounding lyrics that I've ever heard. Its a good time to be a Sabbat fan, due to their reunion and the subsequent re-release of History Of A Time To Come (which I had previously owned) and Dreamweaver: Reflections Of Our Yesterdays (which was unavailable for about ten years on CD and vinyl, and I bought today). I strongly recommend these guys to anyone that wants to hear the most amazing thrash metal on this planet. Martin Walkyier's lyrics/poetry and the rapid pace of most of the songs is enough to have your jaw on your chest, but the catchiness of the same songs is really what draws you in, well in my case anyway.-

Judas Priest !  :)

I've known them about as long as Iron Maiden and they have quite a history as well!

Judas Priest put more emphasis on the guitars than on the rhyhtm section (bass & drums) like Iron Maiden do. Their music is not as complex as Maiden's and their lyrics are not as intelligent as Maiden's but with Halford they have a great vocalist and I love the guitar solos of Priest as well. Their discography is quiet diverse.

70's era: dark, diverse, moody, best lyrics.

80's era: more compact songs (simpler structures - easier lyrics) - great catchy melodies and excellent guitar work. I think that the A-side of "Defenders of the Faith" is the best ever A-side I have ever heard (including all Maiden albums)! :)

90's era: their masterpiece "Painkiller" which is in my opinion the best combination of aggression and melody, ever made in metal. I had to get used to "Jugulator" since I thought they tried to sound modern, playing music like Machine Head, losing all their classic touch and their melodic solos. "Demolition" is my least favourite album since it has hardly any uptempo or fast songs.

"Angel of Retribution" is a solid album, I prefer the "Painkiller"-style tracks the most, unfortunately there are only 2 or 3 on it.

For me, it has to be Opeth.  Their progressive-death metal style is outstanding.  The third would be Judas Priest and right after them, Metallica.

My number 2 -Slayer
My number 3 -Pantera
My number 4 -Metallica     
My number 5 -Machine Head
Also (no order) -Megadeth, Sepultura, Anthrax, Fear Factory, Slipknot   

If I had to choose another metal band, it would be definitively Judas Priest.
As Forostar, I´ve been listening to the Priest as long as Maiden. They´re an amazing band and I don´t think their music isn´t as complex as Maiden´s at all. They´re just two different heavy metal bands.

2nd favorite, I would have to say it's a tie between Stratovarius and Dio.. I would have tried Judas Priest, but finding a Judas Priest cd here is a 5000 year search. I also appreciated the metal of Metallica and Megadeth.

^^MeTaLeRo^^ said:
If I had to choose another metal band, it would be definitively Judas Priest.
As Forostar, I´ve been listening to the Priest as long as Maiden. They´re an amazing band and I don´t think their music isn´t as complex as Maiden´s at all. They´re just two different heavy metal bands.

In Maiden's music, you can find way more tempo and rhyhtm changes and rhythm variations. So I'd definitely would call Maiden's music more complex.

Iron Maiden is not "just another heavy metal band" as Priest to me. Priest sounds more typically Heavy Metal, it's their image, their trademark but also their sound.

Iron Maiden is not only the most important and influential band of the metal genre, but also they have an unmistakable sound. There are many bands that sound like Judas Priest, but who sounds like Iron Maiden (as much as Maiden themselves)? You can hear Maiden's influence in many, but they're still more unique, because no other band writes songs like Maiden does and no other band plays and sounds like Maiden. It's unique. Priest's Painkiller was also important for the evolvement of power metal and many bands have copied this and sound like this.

Open question to all: Has your current favourite metal act always been as stated?

In my case, had I been asked this a few years ago, it would have been Slayer without a shadow of doubt - but I have recently got heavily into Amorphis and Anathema and therefore it has changed somewhat. Had it been before Load, then Metallica by a mile.

But for someone that loves thrash, I only have a couple of these bands in my last.fm top ten (Kreator, Slayer and Celtic Frost) - but this still ranks as my favoured choice of metal sub-genre.

If they can be classified as a Metal band, I'd vote for MOTÖRHEAD without any doubt!
:notworthy:

JackKnife said:
If they can be classified as a Metal band, I'd vote for MOTÖRHEAD without any doubt!
:notworthy:

I'd class them as a metal band any day But I'd say Judas Priest is the better band. They are second to Maiden, and Blaze and Queensryche steals the third place. judas Priest has damn powerful riffs, godlike vocals and good lyrics. I've already stated why I like their lyrics. Rob tells a story, almost like you're watching a movie (Listen to 'Breaking the Law' for a great example). It's just great. Bar none.

Isn't Motorhead's genre a trad metal band that was a pioneer of speed metal?
I mean, Lemmy's crew sounds metal, I think of em as pioneer speed metal.

Back