Which is better: "old" Maiden or "new" Maiden?

Do you prefer Iron Maiden's older song or their newer songs?

• Older songs

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Newer songs

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Stuff in the middle

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
Re: maiden old stuff maidens new stuff?

You should make an option for all the stuff in the middle as well! You know, the stuff like between trooper and BNW.

Great poll, btw!

Re: maiden old stuff maidens new stuff?

Funnily enough, I think it's a bad poll.  There's no clear definition, and we could argue 500 times on how to divide the songs into "sections".

I've made a few modifications...

1. Voting never closes on any of our polls. I've removed the deadline.

2. I've changed the thread title, poll question and options to be more easily readable.

A reminder to all:
When voting, make a post which not only states how you voted, but also why you voted that way.

And a fun bit for this poll...
I have purposely left the options as only "old" and "new" because (as LC said) we could argue endlessly about where the line should be drawn between those two.

So let's have that endless argument!
When you chose "old" or "new", where did you draw the line?

I can't choose between "old" or "new" yet, but I can say where I draw the line: the "old" era ended when Bruce left the band. The "new" era started with The X Factor. Now I just have to agonize over which era is better.

Important: in case a consensus emerges on what is "old" or "new" and that consensus doesn't match how you voted, I have enabled the option to let you change your vote.

I'd have to go with 'older'.  I am going with the album that Adrian left on; everything before that is old, everything after is new.  Personally, the albums from TNOTB to SSOASS are my favorites, hence I am voting for the old Maiden.

I would go with the arithmetical solution here: if there is no middle section, then old is the first half of their production and new is the second half.  This is in terms of studio albums, but it could be in terms of years (and that could be 75-08 or 80-08), or in overall releases, or song number, or anything in fact.  But since the first half of the studio albums is up to Seventh Son, and after that they went back to their roots, and Adrian left, I'd say 1988 is a pretty good dividing line.

And based on that, I can not vote.  I have no idea.

I'd say "old" is FOTD and earlier, whereas "new" is TXF and later.  In that case, I'd have to vote new.  But it's tough.  I love all Maiden, just differently (as is expected).

DeadlySinner said:
I was merely trying to be sarcastic. It was a bad attempt, I admit. It won't happen again.

Nah, I just don't have high sarcasm detectors 5 minutes after I wake up ;)  I see it now.

I'll cop out and say I like the old stuff better live and the new stuff better to listen to at home.  The old stuff has better energy live, and I'm not talking about the fans.  What I mean is that the less complicated riffs and less time changes, especially in the first five CDs, give me more excited as I'm singing and jumping along.  But the newer stuff tends to be more engrossing when I have time to sit down and listen closely.  I cannot choose.  I'd have to rate by top 100 songs and rate them all, with #1 song receiving 100 points, #2 song receiving 99 points and so on and then tally.  Who's got the time, seriously?  :)

I'd say the old era ended when they released their first album. That was the real beginning of their career as professional recording artists. So, defining newer songs as their post-70s material, my vote definitely goes to the new stuff.

I'd say the old era started when they released their first album. That was the real beginning of their career as professional recording artists. So, defining older songs as their pre-90s material, my vote definitely goes to the old stuff.

Oh, I thought pre-TNOTB was 'ancient' TNOTB-NPFTD was 'old', FOTD-VXI was 'new', and BNW-AMOLAD was 'futureal'.

I define the "old era" as everything up to and including AMOLAD. My vote goes for that.

Considering that the Maiden that never was is Steve Harris, Dennis Wilcock, Doug Sampson, etc...and the Maiden that never will be is Butler, Dio, Bonham, Hendrix, May and let's just say Adrian Smith...

Back