Which album cover Eddie do you like better: Book Of Souls or Senjutsu?

Book Of Souls vs. Senjustu Eddie artwork

• Book Of Souls

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Senjutsu

Votes: 21 55.3%

• Total voters
I say different because the artist who did the last two covers stated he wouldn't be doing anymore if I'm not mistaken.
I understand and think the same, but the band have the final say on whether the cover will be with details/background or not.
I prefer the Senjutsu Eddie.

I agree that I'd much prefer we got a decent background in the next one, though based on a version of the album cover from TBOS that Kevin Shirley posted we may have dodged a bullet with that one:
View attachment 29980
Wow. I never knew that. Thanks for the info. Can you share a link to his post? I'm curious. Were there other different versions posted by Kevin?
I agree that the cover we got is better. This one looks, idk, unnatural, although the pose of Eddie is difficult for a background idea. The pyramid and the jungle (or an altar) was the best fit imo. I wonder why they gave up on the idea with a background, when it's clear they considered some variants.

I dunno, in my mind Maiden and Japan does not match at all. Remember those inflatable pagodas.... :facepalm: So, Book of Souls all the way. Artwork with mayan pyramid in the background would have been killer.

I understand and think the same, but the band have the final say on whether the cover will be with details/background or not.

Wow. I never knew that. Thanks for the info. Can you share a link to his post? I'm curious. Were there other different versions posted by Kevin?
I agree that the cover we got is better. This one looks, idk, unnatural, although the pose of Eddie is difficult for a background idea. The pyramid and the jungle (or an altar) was the best fit imo. I wonder why they gave up on the idea with a background, when it's clear they considered some variants.
If you look on his Facebook page and scroll back through his photos he posted that image when talking about how many cointries TBOS hit Number 1 in.

I dunno, in my mind Maiden and Japan does not match at all. Remember those inflatable pagodas.... :facepalm:
And the super paradox thing: As they went on that Japanese theme they should at least have rereleased Maiden Japan on vinyl in its anniversary year 2021 (maybe in a double vinyl edition along with Killers of the same anniversary year), but they did not. As soon as the Japan thing popped up two years ago I was almost sure they would bring back Maiden Japan in some way since it was a perfect fitting pattern and frame to it, but it didn't happen.

And the super paradox thing: As they went on that Japanese theme they should at least have rereleased Maiden Japan on vinyl in its anniversary year 2021 (maybe in a double vinyl edition along with Killers of the same anniversary year), but they did not. As soon as the Japan thing popped up two years ago I was almost sure they would bring back Maiden Japan in some way since it was a perfect fitting pattern and frame to it, but it didn't happen.
Maiden and missing amazing opportunities, name a more iconic duo.

I dunno, in my mind Maiden and Japan does not match at all. Remember those inflatable pagodas.... :facepalm: So, Book of Souls all the way. Artwork with mayan pyramid in the background would have been killer.
Eddie as an ancient warrior definitely fits Maiden. The background and stage decors are thematic.

I agree with your second comment, big missed opportunity imo.
Also, I would have liked more if they did the covers like this on these photos instead of Eddie being cutout copy-pasted on black background:
Inside a pyramid or temple would have been another great option for BOS (but: Eddie and his heart was probably too much), but in this SJ background, Eddie feels ''lost'' in the scenery. Maybe some kind of dojo would have been a good background. The battlefield scene in the gatefold is the perfect cover for me, although I think the ''rainy'' artworks would have been a great fit too.

Last edited:
They're both good. But nonetheless, if Senjutsu's cover was this with a background with burning pagodas...

Senjutsu: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

(man I love Eddie's expression here so much!)

... and TBOS' cover was this...

Is it just me or did Book of Souls have cooler artwork inside than outside?  PART 2 : r/ironmaiden

... now these would be two covers for the ages! And it would be a close call.

As it is I like them both but they don't kinda strike me much. So I'll call it a draw.

When I first saw TBOS cover I was completely indifferent.

When I first saw the Senjutsu cover I thought to myself "A samurai Eddie!!! That is so f*cking cool", and I immediately went on Amazon and ordered a Senjutsu poster flag and t shirt with the same image on.

For me, it all comes down to this: I don't like the teeth on Samurai Eddie so much. If they were a little less spiky, it'd probably be that guy. But as is, we're going with Mayan Eddie.

Back