1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where have you been?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Forostar, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Just wondering in which countries everyone's been/lived:

I was in (in alphabetical order):

Austria
    Belgium
    Canada (Quebec)
    Czech Republic
    England
    France
    Germany
    Greece (Rhodes & Crete)
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Poland
    Scotland
    Slovakia
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Turkey
    Vatican City
    Wales

People who've been/lived in the USA and/or Canada, you could also mention the state(s)/province(s).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Does airport transit stays count? I assume not, and answer accordingly:

Sweden
    Denmark
    Finland
    United Kingdom (England and Wales, not Scotland so far)
    Slovakia
    Greece
    Brazil
    Qatar
    Tanzania

(Yes, I know, I could, and should, have seen more places considering I'm 31 and don't have kids and so on ... it is possible that I'll add a work-related stay in Holland within the next few months)

3. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Wouldn't mind meeting you in Holland if that happens!

You can mention countries you only know from airport transits. Just add that info, to be more clear. :)

4. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

Austria, Belgium, Canada (Ontario, Quebec), Denmark, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Nepal, Pakistan, Romania, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, United States (New York State, California, Florida, Massachusetts), Vatican City. That's it, I think. However, I've been to several of these countries more than once, and lived in three of them. Also, I'm the only German who's never been to Spain.

5. Perun

I might add The Netherlands to that list. There is a possibility that I touched Dutch ground on a motorway stop between Aachen and Maastricht, but that is far from certain. It was in the middle of the night, and I was asleep, so it may well have been in Belgium already. On the other hand, I spent several hours at Amsterdam airport. I would normally not count layovers, but I got detained there, which means that I got to see more of Holland than I set out for. Also, I passed the Polish border once by car, but never set foot on Polish soil.

6. Dr. Eddies Wingman

That would add France, Holland, Germany, Kenya and Saudi Arabia to the list. Germany several times.

There'll be a new trip to the UK this weekend. In fact, I'm leaving right now [​IMG]

7. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

This thread is depressing. I've only been to four countries:

Austria
    Germany
    Greece
    Serbia

8. Perun

Have a good flight! Or are you going to take the traditional route by longboat?

mckindog and Black Wizard like this.
  9. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Longboat is nice, but too slow. I'll go by plane this time :)

Have a jolly nice weekend!

10. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Or swim?

Have fun, Wingman!

11. Perun

Only half the fun, but OK. Have fun!

12. Perun

Now this thread made me melancholic. I feel like boarding the next train and just go wherever it takes me.

13. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

What part of Scotland did you visit Forostar? If you say Edinburgh then I will be disappointed. :p

I have lived in Scotland (imagine that!) for most of my life, I lived in England for a year until the start of September this year, I have visited Wales several times for family holidays and I also went on holiday to Malta but I was too young to remember it.

14. Moon Child

Moon Child Smithed

Ive only been to two... Besides visiting various states here, I've only been to England and France. That was for my husband and I's honeymoon.

15. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Never have been abroad. Then again I'm only 17.

16. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

England, Scotland, Wales, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Vatican. Also been to Jersey, I think that deserves a mention because it has some autonomy from the UK.

Hope you're looking forward to the winds and rain from hell, Wingman! At least that's what the weather forecast is predicting. There's currently a thunderstorm here.

17. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

-Montenegro - ?x before independence, 2x since independence
    -Croatia - 6x + 2x in transit
    -Greece - 3x
    -Macedonia - 1x + 6x in transit
    -Italy - 1x
    -Austria - 1x
    -Vatican - 1x
    -Bosnia & Herzegovina - 1x
    -Hungary - 2x in transit
    -Slovenia - 2x in transit

18. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

So always on isles eh?I'd love to go to Malta one day.

Scotland: various places. Inverness, Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, and some camping sites in between (it was a group trip in 1999; I remember seeing the sun eclipse there).

19. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

Are you sure that wasn't because of the clouds? :eek: I drove across the Isle of Skye with my family when I was seven or eight to get the ferry to the Outer Hebrides. I have visited family just outside of Inverness several times but not for about ten years now, and out of the three capital cities in Great Britain Edinburgh is the one I know the least well, ironically.

20. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Cool thread:
    Lots of miles, not many countries:
    Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)
    US (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, Nevada)
    Mexico

But the list is about to get bigger:
    Ontario and upstate New York next month
    Holland, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Greece next summer.
    We decided a few years ago to do an extended family trip to Europe after my eldest daughter's high school graduation. The itinerary is still tentative.