What's on deck??

jmpoet

Invader
What's everybody listening to lately?  What do you like besides Maiden?

Any recomendations, metal or otherwise?

Dream Theater--   
Queensryche-- mostly anything upto Empire.

Check out the Metal Fans thread, there are some pretty good discussions of the 'weekly' band.

A few bands I've been listening to a lot recently:

Porcupine Tree
Probably my favourite band at the moment. Saw them live a couple of weeks ago and they were amazing. I wrote a more detailed introduction to them here, so you can check that out. Better yet, listen to an album (I recommend Deadwing).

VNV Nation
Last.fm tells me that this group "combines elements of trance, synthpop and electronic body music (EBM) into what they call futurepop". I have no idea what that means, but basically, it's very dark and moody music with pulsating beats and brooding lyrics. Perfect for dark November evenings.

Kyuss
Blues for the Red Sun is one of the best metal albums of all time. Like the bands I listed above their style is difficult to describe, as the only real constants are the downtuned guitars and prominent drums. The music itself goes back and forth between intense thrash riffs and spacey instrumental sections.

The Clash
Time for a well-known band. I don't care that much for most of their stuff, but London Calling is something special. Nineteen tracks ranging from punk to reggae and every single one is a classic. There are few albums with that much creative spark.

Metal: Anthrax, ACDC, Slayer, Sepultura, Pantera, Van Halen, Rush, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, KISS, Guns n Roses, Judas Priest, Biohazard, King Diamond, MOD and Rage Against the Machine.

Other: Billy Joel, Hall and Oates, Queen, Weird Al Yankovich, Huey Lewis and the News, Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie and Frank Sinatra

elmore-james-raster.jpg

I was listening to a compilation of Elmore James made by me, before a while in my car. His my favorite blues-man.
I hear a lot of blues lately, and most particular from period 1900* -1930
Bear in mind that Robert Johnson's recordings had been made in 36 -37, to understand for what we're speaking!!

*Well technically the first blues song was recorded around 1910,
but I consider ragtime as (almost) blues or its processor thus the 1900...

@No_5 I still have to listen to the music you sent me some weeks ago. It will happen!

Lately I listen to Blaze, John Coltrane & Scar Symmetry. Soon going for Kenny Burrell and after that Sonny Rollins.

Lately I've been listening to Deep Purple, Tyr, and Halford.

I also recommend checking out the Maiden Commentary section on bands that fans of Maiden might like, although I believe its down for maintenance at the moment. Anyway, check out the Metalfans section of this forum.

Amazing! I look my previous post written 2 days ago, and it's like have been a week!

Since that 'week' I'm listening to another compilation of mine (mind a mp3 compilation = about 120 songs per CD)
It's my hobby to make long compilations and after listen them in my car -for this reason I always prefer to go to the airport
by my car =1.5 hours of pure awesome music  B)

I've tried to picture which song comes immediately in mind when I think that compilation, and it was -->this

Notice by the end of the song ; This strange 'instrument' which makes the solo, is simply piano! Somebody put a towel -or a similar item inside the strings, creating this strangled sound.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
Notice by the end of the song ; This strange 'instrument' which makes the solo, is simply piano! Somebody put a towel -or a similar item inside the strings, creating this strangled sound.

What was the song called?

I've been listening to Maiden alone this past month, don't know why.
Everything that isnt maiden seems so weak. And I thought I passed that stage of fandom.
I'll try King Crimson again.

Recently I listened to several songs from the Japanese band Loudness.
Among them:
Disillusion (1984) - Ares' Lament
Thunder in the East (1985) - Crazy Nights, Like Hell, Heavy Chains, Run For Your Life, Never Change Your Mind
Hurricane Eyes (1987) - So Lonely, Rock 'N' Roll Gypsy

When I first listened to Ares' Lament, I realized its tune was nearly identical to So Lonely, which Loudness recorded 3 years later.

I've been listening to movie soundtracks. Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, HBO's John Adams, Star Trek (all of 'em)...

I've been listening to 5 songs from the Sonic Heroes Soundtrack.
And my favourite song is none other than Team Chaotix (Theme of Team Chaotix) by Gunnar Nelson.

Last week I was a complete Judas Priest junkie, listened to album after album in succession. I'll try to vary a bit more this week. Maybe I'll put songs from more Priest albums in a playlist and shuffle them around  :D

Of course I've got to listen to the Megadeth songs that are still in the Survivor and that I haven't listened to yet (that means everything after Rust In Peace which is the most recent 'Deth album I own)

I've lately been listening to classical, learning more about it, researching and buying legendary recordings, etc.  Dvorak (sorry, don't know how to do the accents) is becoming a favorite.

EDIT:  Hey, just got my fifth star! 

Back