Whats a mosher?

Some one who jumps in the crowd at concerts so he/she can "fly" in the hands of people.

Hope you could understand (because that´s the only way I can explain that !)

Well, maybe I am a little bit mistaken........ really don´t know. I got me now ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Aug 19 2004, 10:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Aug 19 2004, 10:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]A mosher is a slamdancer.
[snapback]83820[/snapback]​
[/quote]
And I usually deck the bastards if they get too close [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Aug 19 2004, 08:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Aug 19 2004, 08:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And I usually deck the bastards if they get too close   [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]83822[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Thus creating a "mosh pit".

[!--QuoteBegin-MigDaimon+Aug 19 2004, 06:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MigDaimon @ Aug 19 2004, 06:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Some one who jumps in the crowd at concerts so he/she can "fly" in the hands of people.

[snapback]83804[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Thats crowd surfing. If you do it off stage, it's a stage dive.

[!--QuoteBegin-elhefe+Aug 20 2004, 03:16 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(elhefe @ Aug 20 2004, 03:16 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]have someone from maiden ever done it?? (don´t think so)
[snapback]83876[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I don't think they'd indulge in such a silly activity.

I was at the Paris gig in '86 and, about halfway through, Bruce actually mentioned that they'd stop the concert if people carried on stage-diving (some where doing it). How can you enjoy a show if you're out of your brains and stupidly jump from the stage? Fools! [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Moshing occurs when people want to act all macho, either because the music is too rubbish to listen to, or because they're deranged.

It is basically trying to bump into other people at high speed, apparently attempting to knock them over. The strange thing is that if anyone actually falls over, everyone pitches together to pick them up, thus defying the point of pushing them over in the first place..

I used to be good friends with several moshers, back when I lived on the East Coast. I'm talking about "true" moshers, those who mosh as a legitimate dance to express how much they're enjoying the music - not posers who mosh to act out their violent urges or just to simply be an ass. There's a big difference, and I feel I need to stand up for the true moshers before they get ridiculed along with the jerks.

Moshing is typically done to "hardcore" music, a blend of punk and metal that started in New York City and Washington DC. (Those are just US origins; the style may have arisen independently in other countries as well.) The grandddaddy of the genre is Bad Brains; the most famous hardcore band is Suicidal Tendencies.

When a mosher goes to a hardcore show, they want to physically enjoy the music in the same way that a metalhead might band their head at a Maiden show. They are of the opinion that any "stationary" dance doesn't adequately express their love of the music and the energy they get from it. So they throw their entire body around - a whole crowd of moshers doing this at once leads to inevitable collisions, and thus slamdancing was born.

True moshers are a brotherhood. When slamming, they are careful with their hands, feet, elbows and knees and try not to hurt anyone else. They view slamming as an aggressive equivalent of a high five or a friendly slap on the back. This is why they catch the stage-divers (an activity which is encouraged at some club shows, though it's frowned upon more these days than it was in the 80's). This is also why they pick up the fallen right away - they don't want anyone to get hurt, that's not the point of slamming.

True moshers also look out for the "moshing-impaired". People who are trying to mosh safely but aren't good at it are usually kept at the edges of the mosh pit by their more experienced friends, so that they can escape if the going gets rough. Only a self-destructive fool goes into the center of a mosh pit on their first try!

Of course, there are idiots from outside the mosher community who only see the slamming and don't know the etiquette. They think it's all about violence, and so they act that way. I've seen some of these fools actually go into a mosh pit and start throwing punches around. The true moshers will invariably push these idiots out of the pit with well-placed slams, and confront them peacefully when the show is over.

In other words, don't look down on moshers as a group. You still have to judge them as individuals, and most of these individuals that I've known have been intelligent, decent people who just have an unusual way of having some fun at a show.

I've done a fair share of moshing/slam-dancing at various punk concerts. It's quite fun as long as everybody agrees on it. I can see why Bruce wouldn't appreciate it too much at a maiden concert, as that's just not their thing. If you wanna see real moshing, go find the SuperJoint Ritual DVD 'live in dallas' (or something like that). Great show if you're into hardcore a'la Black Flag etc!

Moshing here's known as "pogo". It's pretty anoying, because if you do it, the rest of the world looks upon you as a savage, and also because here, as long as there's a rock/metal song on, all the guys start moshing. I love to mosh on "Smells like Teen Spirit" or something in that area, but I wouldn't appreciate if i couldn't enjoy a Maiden show because of some dick heads that couldn't stay still for 10 seconds

My friend and I mosh in my living room. Its so fun, I have hard-wood floors, and we just bang our heads and slide across the floor into eachother. He is alot bigger than me though, so to avoid injury, I have to get a little tricky. I trip him and stuff. We dont throw punches or anything though, that's just dumb. We usually listen to Slayer or Children of Bodom. The best part about it is that we do it during our lunch hour at school, because I live right across the street from my high school. We go back to school all pumped and excited, and its alot easier being there.

Back