What the F%*! is wrong with the East Coast?

A

Anonymous

Ok, I apologize if it seems like ranting but what does it take to get a good fucking show in North Carolina?  Any show that does come to east coast is like 7-10 hours away.  Everytime I've saw maiden I have traveled atleast 6 hours, mostly more.  They are the only band I would really travel that far for.  I own some old maiden tour books and they used to come to NC every year..less than and hour from where I am, I can't help but hate myself considerin I was only like 4 years old back then lol.  The only thing that comes here is the fuckin ozzfest and I would rather be shot point blank in the face than to put another dime in sharon's money hungry pocket.  Last year that sounds of the underground tour came here which sucked except for opeth, syl, and high on fire IMO.  This year that tour has in flames and thankfully I already saw them a couple of months back bc the closest sounds is comin this year is New Jersey.  The closest the Slayer tour is coming is Atlanta.  The only thing I can hope for this summer is that Gigantour will come here and I highly doubt that.  I guess it's a good thing I saw arch enemy friday night because it may be the last show I see until Maiden decides to tour here again and then I'll pack my bags and travel 10 hours just to see them.  Just because it's the south doesnt mean that everyone here is rednecks I mean hell every show I've been to has had a good turnout.  Opeth, In Flames, and Arch Enemy may be the only 3 bands I like that actually enjoy playing where I live cause they're the only ones who seem to come back.  NC is plagued with hardcore/metalcore/emo shit acts week in and week out and I'm fucking sick of it.  bury your dead and it dies today bullshit.  I wish bury your dead would just bury themselves and it dies today would just fucking die NOW!  if they were supposed to die today than shouldn't they have been dead along time ago?  Anyways I'll end my rant now as all I've done is make myself look like a total idiot.

Alright, I'll give you a straight answer: North Carolina is not interesting. Do you have any idea how big the US alone are? Nobody, I repeat, nobody can play every place. You can't expect a band to play 50+ dates in the US alone, as most big acts are just as, or even more, popular in Europe than in the US. North Carolina has a comparatively small population and comparatively small urban centres. Sorry, but Raleigh or Charlotte don't compare to New York, Houston or Chicago. Big bands play areas with high population density, and North Carolina just doesn't belong to those.
I feel like a record that's stuck.

You have nothing to complain about. Most people are in the same boat as you as most tours that come to the U.S (even American Bands at times) Play like four shows in New York and other Northeast States, go to Texas then, Do 5 dates in California and then go to Canada. I might be exagerating as plenty of good Metal has come to Phoenix which is a couple of hours away from me, but I usually don't have the money to go. Oh and Perun is right... North Carolina is not interesting and you are right too, have a kick for looking like a total idiot

Thank you child of the grave....it's not really that I'm complaining because I do like to travel.  Whenever  Maiden hits the states I usually am in either DC or New Jersey and it doesn't bother me a bit.  It's just that the only thing that comes to NC is hardcore/emo/metalcore..whatever you wanna call it and it would make me happy if there was a decent show every now and then.  I was really just wanting to see if anyone felt the same as I did and I guess I went about it the wrong way so for that I am sorry guys.  Anyway...I would figure Kentucky would be a great place to play with Rupp Arena and all....  I'll just sum this up so I don't make myself look like an idiot again.  Sorry guys.

Well, I guess the real problem isn't the venue, it's the area.  And let's face it.  Kentucky and North Carolina aren't very heavy metal.  Anywhere below the Mason-Dixon line isn't.  That's why Maiden doesn't play there anymore.  It's not going to do them anygood to half-fill a stadium that's way out of their flight plan.  Same with other big rock acts.  It's just that the south has this stigma about it, for some reason.

LooseCannon said:
Well, I guess the real problem isn't the venue, it's the area.  And let's face it.  Kentucky and North Carolina aren't very heavy metal.  Anywhere below the Mason-Dixon line isn't.
Upon what basis do you make this assertion, LC? Do you have any evidence to back it up? I'm not saying you're wrong - but I find it difficult to believe you're right without proof. I suspect the percentage of the population which listens to metal is the same across the US. If it appears there are fewer metalheads in the south, that's because the south is less densely populated (outside of major cities). Thus, metal bands don't skip the south because of a lack of fans, but rather because of a lack of commercial viability (less people = less tickets sold = less money).

You think you have problems, try living here, where the biggest show of the year is Westlife.  That said, Maiden are coming to Dublin in December, and Metallica are playing their 'Out of the Studio' show on 11th June in the RDS Arena, and Blind Guardian are playing a Dublin Bar in September.  But that's about all the tours that come here, and the nearest festival is Bloodstock, in England.  So I really don't think you can complain.  At least the bands where you are are playing on the same landmass as you...

Hey Silky, you forgot that there's a great concert on June 15 at Temple Bar, with Necrophagist, Obituary, Suffocation and Alarum. Now that's going to be brilliant! :biggrin: Also, I said to you before that I'm annoyed that Averse Sefira and Demilich aren't coming here. Considering that this is the last time Demilich will do any touring and that Averse Sefira is the only black metal outfit from the United States to perform live on three continents, including North America, Europe, and South America. Oh well, you can't have it all can you? ;)

Silky said:
You think you have problems, try living here, where the biggest show of the year is Westlife.  That said, Maiden are coming to Dublin in December, and Metallica are playing their 'Out of the Studio' show on 11th June in the RDS Arena, and Blind Guardian are playing a Dublin Bar in September.  But that's about all the tours that come here, and the nearest festival is Bloodstock, in England.  So I really don't think you can complain.  At least the bands where you are are playing on the same landmass as you...
Are you MAD? We've had tonnes of metal bands over here lately. In the past year we've had Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Cannibal Corpse, DragonForce twice, Yngwie Malmsteen, Maiden and many others. And we do have festivals: The Day Of Darkness in Laois on the weekend of the 7th of August with Destruction as headliners and the Sligo Whiplash festival on the August bank holiday weekend. No festivals? PSHA :p

And BD, I'm thinking that I might have to go to see Necrophagist myself...

Hunlord said:
And BD, I'm thinking that I might have to go to see Necrophagist myself...

Well, another great thing about this concert is that there will be no mallcore kids because I doubt that they'd have heard of Necrophagist or Alarum. Also, you have to be 18 or above so I won't have my fun spoiled by those brats.  :jedi:

Black Dragon said:
Also, you have to be 18 or above so I won't have my fun spoiled by those brats. 
Yeah I'm going to have to find some way around that little inconvenience....any ideas?

Tsk, tsk, tsk. You blasphemous little children shouldn't be listening to this naughty death metal. :nonono: It's for bitter old bastards like myself.:p

Hunlord said:
Yeah I'm going to have to find some way around that little inconvenience....any ideas?
If you're really that desperate, I'll lend you my ID.

Cheers man, I might have to take you up on that offer  ^_^

EDIT: I just remembered your location and unless you're coming over for the gig or want to post me your ID, we might have a little problem  ;)

Great, you did post it to 236 *name too tr00 for this forum* right? Cause my neighbour is getting fairly annoyed....:p

Hunlord said:
Great, you did post it to 236 *name too tr00 for this forum* right? Cause my neighbour is getting fairly annoyed....:p
Job done!  :ok:

In response to SMX:

I went and checked the upcoming band listings for some major cities such as Atlanta in the South.  Which has about 2 heavy metal acts coming up - Def Leppard and Queensyrche - of about 35 acts.  Then consider other cities in the north of a similar size, and you'll find larger acts, and more acts, coming.  Similarly, follow the route of Maiden's past tours, available in the IMC, and compare to demographics.  They'll play in Montreal but not Atlanta, which are two cities of similar size.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Thus, metal bands don't skip the south because of a lack of fans, but rather because of a lack of commercial viability (less people = less tickets sold = less money).
I seem to remember a decade or so back that we had a handful of big American bands (Motley Crue was supposedly one of these) making this excuse for not touring the UK as frequently as they toured elsewhere, citing the cost of getting the equipment to this island only to play a few arenas was not commercially viable.

Saying that, I did read this in Kerrang!

Albie said:
Saying that, I did read this in Kerrang!

Kerrang! also once said that Iced Earth and Meshuggah were "black metal's most underground bands" you know. Oh, and let's not forget when they said Trivium were "the saviours of thrash metal". ^_^ They're not even thrash metal. Seriously though, how can you thrash with weak, rehashed In Flames riffs?

Back