What makes someone a fan?

Fugazi

Alchemist
My question is this: When can someone call themselves a fan of a band or any musical performer?. What criteria must be met?.  Has it got anything to do with how many albums one has of an artist, how many live shows attended or if one is a member of a fan club or forum like this one. I know everyone’s definition of what it means to be a fan will be different, I’m interested in knowing what you guys think.

I consider myself a fan of a band when I feel the music really captivates me and I can lose myself in it. This also applies when I do things to enhance my experience of the music, like putting it on at certain occasions or places, going to their gigs and so forth. As a fan of a band, I feel I owe it to them to support them by all means possible to me. I don't think it is necessary to get all their items and merchandise unless you believe it enhances your experience... which I think it doesn't. The same goes for the necessity of knowing everything by them. I consider myself a Rush fan, but I only know five studio albums by them so far... because I take my time to get into the music properly and not make a consumer check list.

When I am a fan of band x then I go with Perun.

When I am a fan of my favourite band (-> Iron Maiden), things are very different. I love my favourite band so much that I try to
A: get all their albums in a relatively short period of time (naturally this time depends on the availability of money), because I am not satisfied with only owning mp3's or watching YouTube, with my favourite band I want the real deal. I am speaking of albums, not per se about other merch.
B: visit their concerts when they get near me.

For me, it depends on what serves you best, the band or the music.  I love Iron Maiden's music, but I am a fan of the band because I took the time to get to know where they are coming from (best I could) via the biographies, DVDs, and websites.  I appreciate their music all the more knowing it's origins, what the band members were thinking, and how it affected the scene around it.

By comparison, I enjoy a lot of Motley Crue tunes, but I am not a fan of the band.  Metallica is another one that falls under that category.

When you are emotionally invested. It goes beyond liking or "really liking." It is when you care. I like soccer, but not a fan. I am a hockey fanatic, however. I like Dark Tranquility and In Flames, but I am a fan of Opeth.

Perun was more eloquent, but it is when you are captivated, moved, makes or breaks your day.... that's when you're a fan.

Those things are emotions. I think fandom is rather what you (want to) do with those emotions.

I think it's pretty simple -- if you consider yourself a fan of a band, then you're probably a fan. 

A couple common-sense caveats to that rule, however:  (1) one should not confuse liking a particular song with being a fan of the artist, and (2) you probably shouldn't call yourself a fan of a band if you can't name the bass player. 

Forostar said:
Those things are emotions. I think fandom is rather what you (want to) do with those emotions.

What I do is enjoy :p Hooligans are "fans" and just destroy, doesn't make them any more or less of a "fan."

Cornfed Hick said:
I think it's pretty simple -- if you consider yourself a fan of a band, then you're probably a fan. 

A couple common-sense caveats to that rule, however:  (1) one should not confuse liking a particular song with being a fan of the artist, and (2) you probably shouldn't call yourself a fan of a band if you can't name the bass player. 

Am I in trouble for only knowing the last name to Stratovarious's bassist? :(

Cornfed Hick said:

The bass player rule is pretty good. I would add to that if you buy a band/singer's new album without knowing anything about it, simply because it's new and by that particular artist  (although, depending on your degree of fandom, you could have known about the new album for months and obsessed about it on a web forum)...

I hate people who call themselves Journey fans because they can sing the chorus to 'Don't Stop Believing'. I don't consider myself a Journey fan because the only songs I know by them are dont stop believing, any way you want and wheel in the sky.

Fan comes from fanatic .... There are plenty of bands I like and enjoy some of thei music.  But there are a select few bands where I go out of my way to see every concert, look for video clips, buy all their records, and listen to their music on a consistant basis. 

I haven't heard anything beside Maiden in a LONG time, except for small helpings of Blue Oyster Cult.

Dityn DJ James said:
I hate people who call themselves Journey fans because they can sing the chorus to 'Don't Stop Believing'. I don't consider myself a Journey fan because the only songs I know by them are dont stop believing, any way you want and wheel in the sky.

Journey is one of my favorite bands! I know almost all songs and all are beautiful, really nice and relaxing.

Cornfed Hick said:
you probably shouldn't call yourself a fan of a band if you can't name the bass player.  
I'm not sure this applies to band centered around a certain individual; Say, Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force or similar, or artists that has a recurring backing band (like Joe Satriani - Stu Hamm has often played with Satch live though, but not always. You can still be a fan of Joe and not know that).

I think you're a fan of a band when you're really emotionally invested in the music and take an interest in those who make this music. So, for example, while I am emotionally invested in some of Pink Floyds music, I don't consider myself a fan because I know next to nothing about the band (nor do I really want to) and I don't listen to much of their music beyond what I find emotionally appealing (which is really only the stuff off of the Pulse live album). Iron Maiden, however, I am a fan of. I know all their music, I go to their gigs when possible, I know the names of all the band members and their rough age, etc etc.

I think its important to add, however, that the only person who decides if you're a fan, is yourself. :)

You're a fan of a band when:
a) You recognise which guitarist's guitar the roadie is testing.
b) You recognise the roadie from the last time you saw the band live; and
c) You know the roadie's name.

Happened to me yesterday with Maiden. :bigsmile:

The bass player "rule" is a bit harsh though.    By that definition, I know very few people who are fans of any band.
Natalie said:
I think its important to add, however, that the only person who decides if you're a fan, is yourself. :)

This I'd probably agree with.

Back