What is your all time favourite B-side?

Forostar said:
This was a B-side topic, B-sides and extra tracks are different matters, though I don't mind that much.
If they do count then I'd like to give special honour to another Bruce Dickinson track:

"Return of the King" (1998)

No kidding. That song is amazing!!! How did it ever get cut in the first place?

Helloween: "Savage" and "Save Us". The first one is the fastest and probably heaviest tune of the Kiske-Era and sounds like they' re trying to be Anthrax. The second one is one of the best songs from the Keeper II-period, a lot of good solos and great lyrics!! A shame it was only used as b-side and CD-bonus...

SouthernSteel said:
Helloween: "Savage" and "Save Us". The first one is the fastest and probably heaviest tune of the Kiske-Era and sounds like they' re trying to be Anthrax. The second one is one of the best songs from the Keeper II-period, a lot of good solos and great lyrics!! A shame it was only used as b-side and CD-bonus...

Save Us has always been on the Keepers-II album. This is what I found on wiki:

Track listing:
01"Invitation" (Weikath) – 1:06
02"Eagle Fly Free" (Weikath) – 5:08
03"You Always Walk Alone" (Kiske) – 5:08
04"Rise and Fall" (Weikath) – 4:22
05"Dr. Stein" (Weikath) – 5:03
06"We Got the Right" (Kiske) – 5:07
07"Save Us" (Hansen) – 5:12
08"March of Time" (Hansen) – 5:13
09"I Want Out" (Hansen) – 4:39
10"Keeper of the Seven Keys" (Weikath) – 13:38

"Save Us" is moved to track 10 on the Expanded Edition and the Noise re-release of 1993.

Forostar said:

Does anybody else other than me hate all the non-Hansen tracks on Keepers I and II??

Forostar said:

Track listing:
01"Invitation" (Weikath) – 1:06
02"Eagle Fly Free" (Weikath) – 5:08
03"You Always Walk Alone" (Kiske) – 5:08
04"Rise and Fall" (Weikath) – 4:22
05"Dr. Stein" (Weikath) – 5:03
06"We Got the Right" (Kiske) – 5:07
07"Save Us" (Hansen) – 5:12
08"March of Time" (Hansen) – 5:13
09"I Want Out" (Hansen) – 4:39
10"Keeper of the Seven Keys" (Weikath) – 13:38

"Save Us" is moved to track 10 on the Expanded Edition and the Noise re-release of 1993.

Save Us was never included on the vinyl, at least not in Europe. I've got it in my living-room. :)

@GuineaPig: Do you even hate "Eagle Fly Free"? Sounds very Hansen-style to me, although it was written by Weiki. You know, speed and melodies...

This is what Encyclopaedia Metallum has to say about it:

"Save Us" was not included on the original LP format, and on some CD versions
it is listed as a bonus track (and placed as track 7 or 10).

Interesting, never realized that. Alright, well I admit I don't own the LP version, so that should be the truth.
Still, couldn't it have been on the first CD release of the album?

I find it one of the strongest songs of that album.

Forostar said:

Why not? In the second half of the eighties, many new albums contained bonus tracks on the CD version.

SouthernSteel said:
@GuineaPig: Do you even hate "Eagle Fly Free"? Sounds very Hansen-style to me, although it was written by Weiki. You know, speed and melodies...

It's really not that great a song for me... the verses are meh... the chorus is terrible...

Forostar said:
Interesting, never realized that. Alright, well I admit I don't own the LP version, so that should be the truth.

I find it one of the strongest songs of that album.

The fact why it wasn't included is pure politics: Every songwriter should provide the same amount of songs, according to the record label. As Keeper I was mainly written by Kai, the input of the two Michaels was forced on Part II. So 'Save Us' was only used as a bonus, also on the first CD-release, and as a b-side to the 'I Want Out' 7". That's why I mentioned it here, btw.

Trust me, when it comes to Helloween, I am a walking encyclopedia!! :smartarse:
GuineaPig said:
the chorus is terrible...

...when it is sung by Andy Deris, I totally agree with you... :down:

So still a B-side indeed, apologies! I am not exactly pulp fiction myself, when it comes to Helloween, but I never knew about that.

Do you also prefer most Hansen songs over the Weikath songs? I surely do. Weiki had a handful of good songs but Hansen had tons of them. Maybe we should revive the Helloween topic for such talks.  ;)

Well I've been a Kai Hansen follower since I was 13. So you can guess whom I prefer. I like Weik's technical, heavy songs like 'Midnight Sun' or 'All over the Nations'. He can be such a brilliant songwriter, don't know why he also creates total bullshit like 'Can do it' from the newest album. He's insanity and genius, it seems. (Which, funny enough, is a Gamma Ray-album :))

Being new here, I haven't found the Helloween-thread yet. Gonna look for it now and would happily revive it.

Forostar said:
Maybe we should revive the Helloween topic for such talks.  ;)

Never seen it, but if you can find it, I'll gladly join in the discussion. :)

Oh, and to keep this on topic: I've only heard Maiden's b-sides, but the best has got to be either Mission from 'Arry or Age of Innocence (How Old?) :p

Land of the Free kicks the ass of every single Helloween album.

Unless, of course, Helloween re-released Keepers into a solely Hansen record and a crap record.   :p

Back