What is your all time favourite B-side?

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Which track was in your opinion insulted, because it came out as a B-side?
Any band, any genre is allowed.

I go for:

Bruce Dickinson - The Breeding House
B-Side to "Tears Of The Dragon" (1994)

Very catchy song, nice guitar riffs, solos, vocals, just everything!

One other Bruce track comes close:
"No Way Out...To Be Continued" (1994 - same single as "The Breeding House"!)

Queen - See What A Fool I've Been

B-Side to Seven Seas Of Rhye (1974)
Great, heavy, Zeppelin-esque blues rock. They used to play it during their early gigs (up to and including the A Night At The Opera tour, if I'm not mistaken). It's understandable they didn't put it on the album, as it doesn't fit with the rest of the material, but it's not understandable that it's only available on the 1991 US reissue, and not in Europe (unless you're ready to squeeze out an extra ten Euros or so for an American import). Queen's B-Side and rare tracks policy has been, and still is very poor!

I'd say Bruce Dickinson's "No Way Out... to be Continued". It's one of the greatest metal songs ever as far as I'm concerned... nearly as good as "The Alchemist". Most of Bruce's b-sides were brilliant though - "The Breeding House", "Over and Out" and "The Post-Alternative Seattle Fall-Out" are candidates as well.

Don't laugh, but I always liked "wasted rock ranger" from Great White.  I think it was the b-side from "..Twice Shy"

Nice topic !!

Deep Purple -Never Before /When A Blind Man Cries

When_a_Blind_Man_Cries.jpg

One of the best ballads ever it was a b-side, which shows how big band Purple was

Fairly easy for me - Am I Evil by Metallica and Kill Me Ce Soir by Maiden. Both tracks I rate as two of my all time favourite covers with 'Tallica's been the very best.

GuineaPig said:
Where can I find No Way Out? I can only find No Way Out... Continued  :(

See my first post. Also it can be found on the re-release of Balls to Picasso. Shame on you for not buying official Bruce products!!! Booo!! :down:  ;)

Forostar said:
See my first post. Also it can be found on the re-release of Balls to Picasso. Shame on you for not buying official Bruce products!!! Booo!! :down:  ;)

I can't find Balls to Picasso anywhere!!!  It's not my fault!!!

Albie said:
Fairly easy for me - Am I Evil by Metallica and Kill Me Ce Soir by Maiden. Both tracks I rate as two of my all time favourite covers with 'Tallica's been the very best.

My 8-track Kill 'Em All version has 'Am I Evil' on it, but the CD version does not.  Go figure!

Genghis Khan said:
My 8-track Kill 'Em All version has 'Am I Evil' on it, but the CD version does not.  Go figure!

My CD doesn't have it either - but I remember owning that album on vinyl in the 80s, and I'm 99% sure "Am I Evil" was on the vinyl version.

I gave the album to a friend when I upgraded to CD ... I wasn't much of a fan of "Am I Evil" at that time, though I am now. But since I finally got the Diamond Head album, I've found that I prefer the Diamond Head originals to the Metallica covers. It's not that the Metallica version are bad - quite the opposite. I think they're some of the best covers Metallica has ever done. But the original versions have a hard-to-describe charm that can't be replicated.

As for B-sides ... I'm not very knowledgeable about them, because I rarely care about singles from any band. Which makes it a weird coincidence that I'd actually know wasted155's pick ("Wasted Rock Ranger"), because "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" was one of the few singles I ever bothered to buy. And that b-side is indeed hilarious. Get it if you can - it's nothing like typical Great White material.

So the b-side I'll mention may not technically qualify, as it was also on the album...
Quiet Riot's "Slick Black Cadillac", which was the b-side on the "Cum On Feel The Noize" single. (Another of the few singles I ever bought!)

To this day, I've never obtained that Metal Health album. The only songs I know are the title track and the two I mentioned above. If it hadn't been for that single, I'd be ignorant about what I have heard is QR's best song. Hell, I bought their greatest hits CD basically just to have that song!

Albie said:
Kill Me Ce Soir by Maiden.

I've really come to love that track recently. I never quite cared for it for a long time, but it really grew on me. I'm not sure whether I prefer the Maiden version or the original by Golden Earring, though.

Also, I'd rather not nail myself to the one b-side I named previously. Here are a few that I also like a lot:

Iron Maiden - Doctor Doctor
Shame on me for that as I am a UFO fan, but I actually prefer Maiden's version, although the original is also superb. I just think Maiden add something even more special to this track.

Queen - I Go Crazy
This was the B-Side to the 1984 Radio Ga Ga single. This is the perfect track for all those who enjoy Queen for both their tongue-in-cheek attitude as well as their hard rocking side. Great track!

Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey What Can I Do
I'm quite surprised that this one hasn't been mentioned yet, given that it is in fact one of the band's most popular track. It was on the Immigrant Song single. If I had it my way, it would have been put on the Led Zeppelin III album instead of Hats Off To (Roy) Harper (and positions switched with Since I've Been Loving You...). But hey, then the album would have been too perfect, perhaps.

y said:
Never? Not even the time of its release?  :blink:

It may have been out there, I just never saw it personally.  I couldn't tell you the last time I saw anything (new) on vinyl. 

Do Bonus Tracks count as B-side? In that case Take Me Back by McAuley Schenker Group, From the Save Yourself (1989). although i'm quite sure it could also be found on the This Is My Heart or Bad Boys single. Really, it's one of the greatest songs i've ever heard, yet it was only available on the CD version. Why? i don't know, apparently they wanted to give something to the newer CD buyers...

By the way, if possible, do check out the Save Yourself. I regard it as probably the greatest album ever, not a turd on it.

Steve Hogarth said:
Do Bonus Tracks count as B-side?

This was a B-side topic, B-sides and extra tracks are different matters, though I don't mind that much.
If they do count then I'd like to give special honour to another Bruce Dickinson track:

"Return of the King" (1998)

Back