We Believe In It But Is It Historical?

My favorite was this one:

There may even be major modifications to the theory that increase its explanatory power, or future discoveries could cause the model to be abandoned. Such is the nature of scientific progress. Scientific models come and go, "But the word of the Lord endures forever"

I actually went to a chritian school as a kid and I remember hearing this sort of crap all the time. The fact that scientific understanding changes while "the word of God" doesn't was always enlisted as extra reason for believing in God rather than science.

Fucking idiots. <--SMX, feel free to censor that, but I couldn't help it.

[!--quoteo(post=129528:date=Feb 22 2006, 09:15 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Feb 22 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]129528[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Fucking idiots.
[/quote]
Although I agree with you, I'd rather not see this kind of language here (even if I sometimes use it myself... shame on me too!). Check out my answer about demons and homosexuals; did I use any swear words? I rest my case. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

Belief in anything is independant of intellecual capacity and knowledge. While there might be some correlation in that the smarter you are and the more you know, the less "superstitions", as maverik put it, you'll have, it doesn't mean that not having any means you are brilliant. And expressing intolerance towards brilliant mathematicians, brain surgeons, simply smart people because they believe in the boogey man, the devil, green gnomes or whatever is extremely hypocritical. Supposed enlightened individuals critizes supposed religious people (I say "supposed because people who show intolerance either way are being hypocrites) for being intolerant of Atheists, liberals and "progressive" ideas", yet they show the same intolerance towards people with different ideas than theres. Two wrongs don't make a right and it shows them to be just as narrow minded.

Onhell, if I told you that the moon is a piece of cheese, would you believe me?

[!--quoteo(post=129526:date=Feb 22 2006, 08:42 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 22 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]129526[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Believing in demons, on the other hand, is closer to believing in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or the monster under your bed when you're a kid. Any grown-up person who believes in demons will see his intellectual capacities questioned - and rightly so! [/quote]
Santa doesn't exist? Adrian Smith weeps. Nothing will ever be the same again [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129534:date=Feb 22 2006, 10:04 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 22 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]129534[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Onhell, if I told you that the moon is a piece of cheese, would you believe me?[/quote]If I told you that there was no holocaust, would you believe me? No, you would put me in prison. ::

[!--quoteo(post=129539:date=Feb 22 2006, 11:08 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 22 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]129539[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If I told you that there was no holocaust, would you believe me?
[/quote]
I'd ask you to check your sources. The holocaust is just as documented as the composition of the moon. Sadly, it won't prevent it from happening again (and it has in Bosnia in the early 90s, although with a different ethnic group and on a smaller scale).

Still, we seem to be unable to learn from what we know. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129540:date=Feb 22 2006, 11:15 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 22 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]129540[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
(and it has in Bosnia in the early 90s, although with a different ethnic group and on a smaller scale).
[/quote]

It has also in Rwanda with a, relatively speaking, much bigger scale...

That's right. Sorry, I was mostly referring to Europe. The ugliness of the human species is spread all over the planet.

1994: the world was so sad because of Ayrton Senna's death (which was part of the risks he took professionally), while blissfully ignoring half a million dead in Rwanda... Need I say more? ::

What I meant was that people's opinions and freedom of thought are one thing, but some of them can turn dangerous. Or is it that just about any opinion can turn dangerous in a dangerous mind?

[!--quoteo(post=129543:date=Feb 22 2006, 11:25 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 22 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]129543[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What I meant was that people's opinions and freedom of thought are one thing, but some of them can turn dangerous. Or is it that just about any opinion can turn dangerous in a dangerous mind?
[/quote]
Some can become dangerous if enough people mindlessly believe in them and follow the movement... Demons in the closet, evil Jews, superior races, you-name-it.

[!--quoteo(post=129534:date=Feb 22 2006, 09:04 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 22 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]129534[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Onhell, if I told you that the moon is a piece of cheese, would you believe me?
[/quote]

That is not a superstition [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /] the moon made out of cheese is inconsequential to my life. a "lucky" rabbit's foot on the other hand, a black cat walking in front of me, and according to you among others in this board, a personally invested supreme being* however, all of those are believed to have some direct outcome to what happens to me day after day. So I see your example as irrelavant. Also that can be easily proven while proving why the portrait jumped 6 feet in the air with no visible external force as a cause is not....

*these are just examples and I don't claim to believe or not believe in all, some or none of them.

Hmmm... You're not really making sense.

Maybe I'm just tired...

[!--quoteo(post=129528:date=Feb 22 2006, 01:15 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Feb 22 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]129528[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Fucking idiots. <--SMX, feel free to censor that, but I couldn't help it.
[/quote]
I didn't say you can't curse, or direct derision at persons outside this forum. I'm only forbidding such language when it's directed at fellow participants in this thread. Let's be civil to each other, and the rest of the world can go to hell. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129539:date=Feb 22 2006, 03:08 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 22 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]129539[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If I told you that there was no holocaust, would you believe me? No, you would put me in prison. ::
[/quote]
From what I've read recently, holocaust denial is only a crime in Germany and Austria - though it will obviously cause the denier to lose all his credibility anywhere. Your statement was a response to Maverick, who does not live in Germany or Austria. (While many people on this forum know where Mav lives, I don't assume everyone does, so this is just useless information rather than any kind of correction.)

[!--quoteo(post=129554:date=Feb 23 2006, 04:01 AM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Feb 23 2006, 04:01 AM) [snapback]129554[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Your statement was a response to Maverick, who does not live in Germany or Austria. (While many people on this forum know where Mav lives, I don't assume everyone does, so this is just useless information rather than any kind of correction.)[/quote]It was useful, SMX, and thank you [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /].
But I tried to make clear in a later post that my statement was a general one. I only used recent news as example.

SMX, only to be the usual smartarse, but I am quite sure that Holocaust Denial is also a crime in Israel. It certainly isn't in Iran...

[!--quoteo(post=129543:date=Feb 22 2006, 11:25 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 22 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]129543[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]

I seemed to have overlooked this post...
Anything can turn dangerous when it falls into the wrong hands. We live in a world in which more people enjoy just about any kind of freedom than ever before. What are the extreme products of this freedom? General apathy, in the best case. TV preachers calling for murder in the worst.

Back