War Of Epics: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
:facepalm:

He's the best one in this round for sure. But iryo :p

I said he's a good vocalist, but come on, folks: he's not a technically "good" singer. He is a personality singer. Look, I love Tom Waits. He's one of my favorite vocalists, but I'll never prove to anyone that he's a "good" singer. You can be perfect for the music without having a technically great voice.

All of this said, I'm said to see Heathen Tribes go. It's a far better song than GnR.

This round I'm voting for: Katatonia because it didn't put me to sleep with four minutes reverb and whale noises, like Floyd did, and Transatlantic, because it's really cool although it's longwinded, and the lyrics in the Genesis tune sound like Freelove Freeway from The Office.

Well I was talking about my preference not their technical abilities because that's not important to me :p

This round is so long that I don't have enough time to listen to all these songs before I go out...

I said he's a good vocalist, but come on, folks: he's not a technically "good" singer. He is a personality singer. Look, I love Tom Waits. He's one of my favorite vocalists, but I'll never prove to anyone that he's a "good" singer. You can be perfect for the music without having a technically great voice.

All of this said, I'm said to see Heathen Tribes go. It's a far better song than GnR.

This round I'm voting for: Katatonia because it didn't put me to sleep with four minutes reverb and whale noises, like Floyd did, and Transatlantic, because it's really cool although it's longwinded, and the lyrics in the Genesis tune sound like Freelove Freeway from The Office.
Not to sound rude, but I think you don't really get the lyrics. That's okay, they confused me at first too!

I saw Katatonia live once and didn't really like them, so I wasn't looking forward to listening to this. I was pretty impressed though. Their growls are way better than their clean singing and this song had some cool things happening. Very Opethian. Hard to beat the juggernaut that is Shine On You though.

Moonlit Knight is a good song but I was never as big a fan as others seem to be. It serves as a great start to an awesome album, but not a song I go for out of context. Duel With the Devil is one of my favorites. Great melodies, performances, and one of the best buildups I've ever heard in the finale.

Floyd & Genesis

Katatonia is quite cool but it's doesn't stand a chance against Shine On. Transatlantic lacks the emotional depth and atmosphere I look for in prog while the Genesis track thrives on it.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1-5 takes too long to start, but it has a great atmosphere. Loses point on unnecessary saxophone solo though.
I saw Katatonia live once and didn't really like them, so I wasn't looking forward to listening to this. I was pretty impressed though. Their growls are way better than their clean singing and this song had some cool things happening. Very Opethian.
Of course they sound Opethian, Mikael Akerfeldt does the harsh vocals on the whole Brave Murder Day album :) Anyway, some good melodies, obviously awesome vocals by Mikael, but drums are super boring and melodies repeat way too much... I've decided to vote for Brave and support metal, but it was super close.

Duel With The Devil has an awesome beginning and ending, but middle part drags... and it also has unnecessary saxophone solos. Could've been an awesome 15 minute song. Still, it's worth going through the boring parts 3 and 4 (I think) to get to the 5th (last) one. First time I heard Transatlantic btw, much better than I expected them to be. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight was boring and the vocals were super annoying. Based on length and my tendency to hate super long songs, I expected I'll vote for Genesis, but nope, they suck too much :p

Of course they sound Opethian, Mikael Akerfeldt does the harsh vocals on the whole Brave Murder Day album :)
I thought those growls sounded familiar! :D Should've guessed it was Mikael. Cool stuff.

Duel With The Devil has an awesome beginning and ending, but middle part drags... and it also has unnecessary saxophone solos. Could've been an awesome 15 minute song. Still, it's worth going through the boring parts 3 and 4 (I think) to get to the 5th (last) one.
When I first heard the song I felt the same way. Since then the middle parts have grown on me. Every minute of the song is golden IMO. If you like the beginning and end already I highly suggest you give it some more listens and see if the rest grows on you. I know for me my brain gets pretty fatigued after the first 10 minutes of a long song so generally the first part grabs my attention and then I start to appreciate the rest after repeated listens.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I listened to it 3 times already which is a great achievement considering how long it is. But it's actually quite catchy for that length. Will download the whole album too.

Awesome, Bridge Across Forever is one of my favorite albums. The catchiness of the music while being so long is their best trait IMO. A lot of Neal Morse (the singer)'s original band Spock's Beard is like that too, you might enjoy some of their stuff.

Phase 1, Round 3 Results:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1-5 and Dancing With The Moonlit Knight are promoted, Brave and Duel With The Devil are eliminated.
User standings are updated here.

Phase 1, Round 4:
vs.
-
vs.

Blackbird is a classic. While I like Weird Al, I don't really hold his music in the same regard as... everything else, because IMO videos are a big part of shtick. Albuquerque is a fun song though.

Epitaph is very epic. I think I heard Red a while ago and that was my only King Crimson experience to date. Will look into listening to more of their stuff. Und Pan Spielt Die Flöte (Desîhras Tagebuch, Kapitel II) has a great sound for a black metal band. Musically it is pretty good, but the vocal parts are a bit forgettable... Ending is quite epic, but the whole song should've been a bit shorter.

@Forostar: Thanks :) If I didn't post a HD video, it's because it's not on YouTube :) I uploaded Epitaph btw, lowest possible quality of the video, highest possible quality of the audio :)

Back