Votes: 3 7.7%
  • The Trooper

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • The Unbeliever

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Genghis Khan

Ancient Mariner
I'm trying to match SMX for the "silly polls" medals.  I've got some catching up to do.  :)

So I made this little poll.  The songs listed follow few simple rules:
1) The song has to begin with the article "the".
2) The song has to be two words in length.
3) The second word has to be the name of a person or persons, or in the case of The Apparition the name of something ethereal.  I think I covered all the bases.  :)

What is your favourite song from the list?  They're listed alphabetically for your convenience.  Explain your choice or one of the mods will drive to your home and hold your pet hostage.

I've narrowed it down to five:
The Trooper -- Some of the most memorable riffs are from this song.  The lyrics are great sing-along lyrics that are both catchy and well-written.  However, this is not one of the songs that I can listen to and enjoy fully every time.
The Clairvoyant -- The chorus is one of the best ever.  Arry does a great job with the bass, but it could have been a bit heavier.
The Clansman -- Emotional lyrics and fast, driven instruments.  Drums could use an improvement.
The Duellists -- A so-called filler that is not a filler.  Powerful instruments but is does not have that tinkling feeling like the next song.
The Nomad -- I know that people complain about the lyrics but they suit me just fine.  The main riff is so beautiful it makes me imagine nomads.  This one gets my vote.

The Prisoner.

Good intro, nothing special song overall, but Adrian does "his thing" in this one, too  :D

Dangit. Why must you make me choose between The Clansman and The Nomad?

The Nomad wins. Fucking awesome opening riff. Great lyrics. Fucking awesome middle section.

Now someone must assuage my guilt by voting for The Clansman for me.

Edit: I won't give up my throne easily. I must think of another silly poll now.

@Genghis Khan : well it's difficult to beat SMX

is not so much the number of polls created -just for today you've allready created three  :ok:
- but SMX has been allready established to our conscience as the king of silly posts

so to can beat him, you will mostly need time (and of course some silly polls every now and then)

as for me, I consider you allready as "the biggest hope of putting the king of silly polls out of his throne one day" -and this is NOT a small thing  B)

back to topic : I had to choose between the prisoner and the nomad

I choose the prisoner

1) for personal reasons, and my sympathy for no6
2) for its openning thunder riff
3) for nomad's weaker lyrics
4) for its spoken intro
5) this is for the sake of the 5th reason  ;)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Dangit. Why must you make me choose between The Clansman and The Nomad?
And I'm going through the same dilemma right now.

The Nomad has a brilliant musical piece that is unmatched in almost every other Maiden track (possibly Where Eagles Dare comes close). But The Clansman is a fantastic overall song. The chorus of Freedom is such a belter that it really gets me going - I feel the passion of the song so much that I almost become a fully fledged Scot rather than just half Scottish (almost, mind ;)). Both the Rock in Rio and the studio versions are absolutely superb.

A weak ago I would have voted for The Trooper, but now I'll return to The Duellists again.
I have explained quite some times why I find this track so good, but because it can't be done enough for this highly underrated track Í'll do it again:

The Duellists is for me the ultimate "forgotten song" in Maiden’s catalogue. I find it extremely underrated and I can’t understand people when they say it’s boring. I like it because of the brilliant mid piece. GREAT melodic guitar work, with the rhythm tandem McBrain/Harris underneath it. The song has a catchy chorus, that stays in your head (not the way the chorus of TAATG stays in your head!). No weak parts. Unlike most Maiden songs, the tempo is all the time the same, but despite this, the song has an enormous drive!

I have to go with the Calirvoyant. For satarters, as a character song, it has the most interestign character fo the bunch. The singing on this song is great and the lyrics are among Maiden's best, simple as they are. For me it just never gets old for some reason.

A shitload of good songs. And some less memorable, but who cares when the list includes goodies like The Trooper, The Duellists and The Clairvoyant? Not to forget the monumental The Clansman, and some nice recent stuff like The Pilgrim and The Nomad?

Out of these songs, I am torn between The Duellists (for much of the same reasons as Forostar) and The Trooper which is so packed with energy, great riffs and has got very, VERY memorable guitar solos from Dave and Adrian. Since I am in a "listen to the classic mid-80's albums"-mode nowadays, these great songs from Piece and Powerslave come into thought first.

Since both The Duellists and The Trooper have already got one vote each, I will support the sake of giving recognition to songs that have not got as much of it as they deserve.

I vote for The Duellists, and if anyone get a chance to speak with someone in or around the band, tell them that this song would sound great with three guitars and really should be played on the upcoming tour.

Voted for The Nomad. Love the "eastern" sounding riffs in this song, sets the atmosphere of nomads in the desert when listening to this song.

I've loved The Nomad for a long time (regardless of the lyrics) now, and while I appreciate The Clansman as one of the great Blaze songs, it wasn't really a tough choice for me. I believe I've written somewhere earlier on this forum the exact reasons for why I like The Nomad, so in short its because of the atmosphere created by the song, I feel as if I'm really in a desert, a nomad.

One of my dreams before Maiden retires is to hear them play this song live.  But this will probably be even harder to get than  "Alexander the Great".

Ofcourse the nomad the riffs are great.the best part is the middle section.the song slows and then picks up pace

It comes down to The Trooper versus The Clansman versus The Clairovoyant.

And the Clansman batters his English Overlord, The Trooper, and the mystical prophet to win the competition.

I find the Nomad too long and repetitive :p

Back