1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual XI - Song quality

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by nuno_c, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Yeah but I like how the record sounds. They also have layered guitars in some songs, I can't say from top of my head now.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Yea the electric/acoustic thing is a nice touch. It's in almost every song I think. I liked when Maiden did that for TFF too.

3. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

I don't think he would ever say anything beyond what he said back when the album came out, and that was that he wanted to let the others more room for their playing.

4. TAC

TAC Invader

I would love to hear a live Bruce version of The Educated Fool. I think he would slay that chorus.

Crazypants likes this.
  5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Virtual XI on the whole sounds better suited for Bruce's voice than TXF was.

Zare likes this.
  6. TAC

TAC Invader

Right. From the start, VXI had a more classic maiden feel than TXF.

7. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

I remember Nicko saying that they were looking for a big drum sound since FOTD (at least). Then again he claimed that Steve wanted him to play simpler and with a more rock groove. So we got the triggered sound in TXF followed by the almost completely void of drum fills VXI. I still find it.hard to think of another group that went so downhill musicaly...and it has nothing to do with Blaze.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Invader

I like both of the Blaze albums a lot. The Clansman is my favorite IM song and X Factor is actually my favorite album by them period. I'm not a Bruce fanboy so I wouldn't substitute him for Blaze on these albums especially X Factor. The only song I don't like on Virtual XI is the last song, whatever it's called.

That said Bruce is perfect for the albums he sings on. Final Frontier has been a real grower for me. It's nice that IM had ideal singers for the respective albums. I wouldn't change anything on Virtual XI except that terrible last track.

9. Operations666

Operations666 Trooper

I agree. The last song on Virtual XI (Como Estais Amigos) is my least favorite Maiden song. I also don't really like Don't Look To the Eyes of a Stranger too much. Otherwise I like Virtual XI. It's not a great album by Maiden standards, but it's a pretty rocking overall. I enjoy it more than The X Factor, actually.