Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After Group 32, all solos have entered the arena for the first time. The winners of these groups qualify directly for round 2. That's 32 solos.
What happens next: a selection of 64 "best of the rest"-solos, which will -again- battle in groups (preferred in different combinations) for qualification for round 2. This phase we'll call round 1B.
We have to be patient, but in this game I want a thorough process in which most contenders do not have just one chance of survival. Who knows how a solo scores in a different setting. When this ends: we have 32 more solos in round 2.

I rather not give info on the solos that are still in the game. Not in advance, I mean. I see the cool aspect of it, but I don't want people rooting too much. I hope that every new moment in the game (be it a group or later in a 1 on 1-battle) will be seen as something, void of anything else. The good thing is that there is an element of surprise: when a new groups starts, we'll get the reappearance of solos, instantly marking that they still have a chance in the game.

If interested, I could give info about the solos that are eliminated.

Night Prowler offered to do this. Because I don't know the new combinations yet, this may take a while, so we're in for a break.

Should be good to see how the 'best of the rest' fare against different opposition. There's been a few groups where the choice has been very tough, but I've a feeling some of the ones that missed out might do well in different groups.

After Group 32, all solos have entered the arena for the first time. The winners of these groups qualify directly for round 2. That's 32 solos.
What happens next: a selection of 64 "best of the rest"-solos, which will -again- battle in groups (preferred in different combinations) for qualification for round 2. This phase we'll call round 1B.
We have to be patient, but in this game I want a thorough process in which most contenders do not have just one chance of survival. Who knows how a solo scores in a different setting. When this ends: we have 32 more solos in round 2.

I rather not give info on the solos that are still in the game. Not in advance, I mean. I see the cool aspect of it, but I don't want people rooting too much. I hope that every new moment in the game (be it a group or later in a 1 on 1-battle) will be seen as something, void of anything else. The good thing is that there is an element of surprise: when a new groups starts, we'll get the reappearance of solos, instantly marking that they still have a chance in the game.

If interested, I could give info about the solos that are eliminated.
I like your "I hope that every new moment in the game (be it a group or later in a 1 on 1-battle) will be seen as something, void of anything else" concept. It's certainly feels like that just now, so going to plan. I'd, personally, quite like to see (when you take this envisaged break, perhaps?) a breakdown of the solos that are totally out of the competition; just so we can all chat & moan about it in the intervening break.
Should be good to see how the 'best of the rest' fare against different opposition. There's been a few groups where the choice has been very tough, but I've a feeling some of the ones that missed out might do well in different groups.
Also interested in this, since some awesome solos have missed out on winning their respective group(s). Also, I already can't really remember some of how the voting's gone...

More good stuff, I rate Sea of Madness one level above the other three. Has H's soloing ever been more inspired than on SiT? Again a solo which combines a killer sound with well worked out melodies.

As I find it hard to decide between the others, I'll give this one to SSOASS because I realize I haven't been voting much for solos from my favourite album so far. In the absence of a better criterion to separate, that will have to do.

Sea of Madness! The melodic beginning is so powerful. It's my favourite part of the song. It turns into the solo kind of unexpectedly. I really hope it dominates this group, so Dance of Death receives my second vote. To me it seems better than SSoaSS when put next to it. I reject TNotB, because I enjoy inventive solos more. It's good, but this classic rock playing doesn't impress me that much.

Madness and SSOASS. This was one of the strongest rounds, in my opinion. :okok:

I really hope you left the fabulous TTLBLAH solo for the last round. ;)

Back