Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Much more difficult to chose than the previous round.

Judas Be My Guide stands out straight away, I'm going for that. A neat, smooth, little package of a solo that beautifully carries on the momentum of this song. Great stuff.
Avalon is long and meandering, not bad at all, but I'm confusing this with Starblind for some reason.
The Evil does the job admirably, quality solo, if not dazzling.
I really want to vote Dance of Death, not least because this is one of my favourite songs, that guitar has its moments of sounding lovely, and the slightly chaotic approach is there for good reason. But I'm going to have to give it to The Evil That Men Do.

This one is difficult. First of all I have to give recognition to Isle of Avalon because of how adventurous it is. So that's my first pick. As for the second one... I think The Evil That Men Do is the best, but the other two are so good... They could easily win some different groups.

Very strong round. First and foremost, I have to vote for DoD. Janick's solo here is the climax of an absolutely amazing song, and it's one of my all time favorite solos. I'm giving a 2nd vote to Adrian's IoA solo. It is very different and experimental, and kinda reminds me of RUSH at parts, which definitely isn't a bad thing. Judas is the odd one out. It certainly would've had my vote if it was in the previous round, but it's in a very close 3rd place here.

This time around all of the solos are very strong.
Vote no. 1: DOD. One of the (many) reasons I love Janick.
Vote no. 2: Just look at my nick :D

However, my heart's bleeding from the fact I can't vote for Avalon here. The solo's very bold and adventurous and it would deserve to be voted for.

Very, very tough round. I've decided to only vote for Isle of Avalon, the most adventurous, interesting, atypically-Maiden solo in the bunch. It's really great.

TETMD and DOD are honestly tied for me. I like them both, but the former is too safe and the latter too rough. Just a touch of restraint would have really helped that DOD solo.

Judas fits great within the song but feels a little Murray-by-the-numbers out of context. It's also very limited in pitch range.

Goddammit... First group where I actually really like all the solos.

"Avalon" sounds like a jam over a weird time signature. Very cool. "Evil That Men Do" is the best solo on Seventh Son by about a mile, "DoD" isn't even the best solo of the song - but it's still super-awesome, and "Judas" is one exceptionally cool Dave solo from one of his best songs (nice note choices and his best solo tone on any album)... (Can I vote for all of these?)

Err... Okay, not going to vote for the first, because it isn't that memorable compared to the rest. Then I have to vote for tone, because in the note choice-department Adrian and Janick are equal here. I'm not that into 80's Maiden solo tone, so it's Janick all the way.

DOD and Judas gets my votes!

On a related note, I must say that I really like the production of Dance of Death... for solos, at least. They stand out exceptionally well in the mix, they sound powerful - and all the while they have this nice rounded compressed tone to them, no ice-pick-to-the-ear-drum feel. (Mastered for car® <3)

This was a tough cookie. I honestly could have voted for all four and I would probably have taken each one of them over any from the previous round.
But Isle of Avalon and Dance of Death won, because of how memorable they are. Isle of Avalon is so different sounding from what Maiden usually does so it gets points for uniqueness in my book.

The Evil That Men Do & Dance of Death
I never noticed how good that Judas Be My Guide solo is, i didn't vote for it but it's a damn good solo

Back