Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Huh? No man, just vote for the solo you like the best.
What? :p Perhaps I like listening to WY a bit more, but I think Powerslave is a better solo, better guitar work. I thought that's the point of this game, you've stressed it enough. Maybe I just wasn't clear in my previous post.

This is, IMO, the strongest match up of the game so far by quite a margin.
Wasted Years sounds so energetic, rich and confident (and is my second favorite Adrian solo) but Powerslave is one of my most favorite musical journeys ever.

Gotta go with Davey here!

Wasted Years.....My favorite Maiden song since I heard it for the first time. Always will be my favorite. But the solo is not as good as Davey's Powerslave solo or even Adrian's Powerslave solo IMHO ( is that one still in the running?) Win goes to Powerslave. Let the Semifinals begin!!!!!!!!!

Powerslave all the way!

I just hope it doesn't have to go up against SIASL in the Semis. Those two absolutely deserve to face off in the Final Round.

Tell me why I have to vote for Powerslave ...

Well. That solo is a wonderful piece of melodic work, where Dave puts his smooth playing style to its best use. The way the solo just flows up and down the fretboard ... magic. The Wasted Years solo is very cool, but in this contest it comes second.

Always important to say that WY, IMHO, shouldn't have its initial part cutted.

Those 3s at the end of the bridge kinda fuses with the beginning of the solo and gives too much splendour to it.

The same way like those wonderful (and very venerated) final notes fuses with the beginning of the chorus.

The end, with those distinctive continuing notes during the chorus, is very different (in importance, solo wise) from these miniscule moments you describe at the beginning of the solo.
Even if we would have added a few seconds extra (not this entire preceding part of course), I don't think it would have made much of a difference in the outcome. This solo came very far, but now it met a mightier (more popular) opponent.

@Forostar, how are you gonna organize the semifinals?
Is it going to be two pairs of solos matched one against another or have you maybe considered creating a video of all four solos and letting people vote for their favorite(s)?

If you create the semifinal pairs yourself, I am afraid that you would influence the game way too much (by excluding the possibility for certain solos to meet in the final).

What are your thoughts, guys?

I have made a scheme a la Wimbledon, although it was a bit more complex (as I had explained some months ago). There was a moment a while back in which I interfered with my own initial plans because I didn't want "big" solos to meet each other too early.
@Forostar, how are you gonna organize the semifinals?
Is it going to be two pairs of solos matched one against another
Yes.

Last edited:
(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of this thread, before you vote)

Result of Quarter Final 4: Adrian Smith's Wasted Years solo (039) is eliminated. 033 advances to the Semi Finals.

Before we go to the semis, let's decide on positions 5 til 8. You may vote for two solos but also for one, depending on what you wish to influence.

First two for sure.

I really love FOTD, but it's better within the song than it is alone (at least when compared with these others). Sea of Madness is very nice, but quite dated sounding.

Back