Tournament of INSTRUMENTALS: AND THE WINNER IS ... (FINAL RESULTS)

Vote for your FAVOURITE instrumental track

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YYZ, for exactly the reasons that @Forostar stated up top!

I feel quite underwhelmed by the Top Ten considering the level of quality songs in the game. Our Top Ten Instrumentals of All Time winners are...4 Maiden songs, 2 Metallica songs, 2 Rush songs, and two others that deserve the spot. I'm not saying that YYZ, Ktulu, and Transylvania don't deserve spots, but the sameness of the voting is disappointing.

My vote should probably go to Strangiato because it is so magnificent.
But I am just feeling YYZ so much right now.
It packs just as much into its 4 1/2 minutes. The band is so tight and so together. The energy just crackles.
The shifting rhythms, the pauses — it just works. It was a real treat to see it live.

These are the two best songs in the top 10. With Transylvania, probably the only ones from this top 10 in my top 10, although I have no issues with the Metallica pair.

And the winner is......

Number 2 (Silver):
Rush - La Villa Strangiato

Tournament history:
1st round: Alestorm - No Quarter: WIN
2nd round: Iced Earth - 1776: WIN
3rd round: Rainbow - Still I'm Sad: WIN
8th final: Racer X - Technical Difficulties: WIN

Quarter final: Iron Maiden - The Ides of March: WIN
Semi final: Metallica - The Call of Ktulu: WIN

Battle for spots 1-2 in top 10:

Rush - YYZ: LOSS
Final spot: #2 (Silver)

Number 1 (Gold):

Rush - YYZ
Tournament history:
1st round: Jaco Pastorious - Opus Pocus: WIN
2nd round: Mason Ruffner - Courage: WIN
3rd round: Pink Floyd - A Saucerful fo Secrets: WIN
8th final: The Scorpions - Coast to Coast: WIN

Quarter final: Iron Maiden - Losfer Words (Big 'Orra): WIN
Semi final: Metallica - Orion: WIN

Battle for spots 1-2 in top 10:

Rush - La Villa Strangiato: WIN
Final spot: #1 (Gold)

Top 10:
01. Rush - YYZ
02. Rush - La Villa Strangiato
03. Metallica - The Call of Ktulu
04. Metallica - Orion
05. Iron Maiden - Transylvania
06. Iron Maiden - Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
07. Iron Maiden - Genghis Khan
08. Iron Maiden - The Ides of March
09. Racer X - Technical Difficulties
10. Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness

11-16 (based on this round):
11. Pink Floyd - One of These Days
11. Running Wild - Final Gates
13. The Alan Parsons Project - Sirius
13. Focus - Hocus Pocus
13. The Scorpions - Coast to Coast
16. Joe Satriani - Summer Song

The running of this game took half a year, but before, there was a preparation period of several months in which the game was discussed, suggestions for songs were done, and in which I tried to figure out a tournament schedule that would fit the purpose as much as possible. I made several categories that would represent a certain level of strength, based on what I expected how populair a song could be. The strongest category consisted out of -you already can guess it- the 8 songs that ended up highest! I really thought that the 4 Maiden songs, these 2 Metallica songs and the Rush songs would be the most populair. That's why I didn't want them to meet in an earlier stage than in the quarter finals. After all, we wanted to find out which track would become the most populair.

I hope that the second goal of the game -learn about "new" music- served its purpose as well. If I speak for myself, I enjoyed discovering a song Cosmiceddie suggested. Haunting guitar playing, fantastic really! Also, I thought some Al Di Meola songs which Flash suggested were awesome.

I had a great time because of your involvement. Thank you all for taking part! If it's not too much trouble, I'd be glad reading your discoveries if there are any. ;-)

Last edited:
Great game, thanks for hosting :applause:

Didn't really care for guitar virtuoso's instrumentals like Satriani or the jazz stuff though :p However, majority of songs were good and worthy of appearing in the game.

Awesome game. Entertaining throughout and a great way to listen to both new songs and familiar favourites.

Thanks for hosting! The best 3 songs won so I'm happy. It's going to be weird not seeing any new updates for this game anymore.

Quite some non-metal tracks came quite far. Not just the Rush ones.

In the last 16:
Sirius, Summer Song (not typically metal), Hocus Pocus, One of These Days (and DT if you count that as well)
Last 32:
Also: More Satch, A Saucerful of Secrets, Buck's Boogie, Misirlou, Red, The Plains of Memories, The Isle of Summer, Still I'm Sad (and DT if you count that as well).

Like the top two, didn't like the top 10 and really enjoyed the game.
Thanks Foro. Excellent job.

Back