Tournament Of Champions 2014: Book of Thel wins!

Satisfied?

• Total voters

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
Welcome to the ToC! Vote for your favorite song in each pair. We'll narrow it down to ten before going into a survivor styled game featuring the top 5s from Janick Gers and Best Song Never Played Live survivors.

I am having trouble with the Dickinson Metallica pairing. One is one of my very favourite Metallica songs (top 3 for sure) but Darkside isn't that high anymore. In 1997 and still 1998 it might have been, but not anymore. It could be top 10 or even top 5 but.... it's Bruce... one of my favourite artists ever. Need to play these in a row to make a decision.

Jet City Woman vs Puppets isn't easy either. Two very different songs but both great. I don't know Jet that long but I've started to like her very much.

EDIT:
Went for Reich, Master, One, Firth, Fade and War Pigs.

Metallica all the way.

Last edited:
I had trouble with Jet City and Master of Puppets too. Both are among my favorite songs by those respective bands and are vastly different from each other.
Ultimately I went with Jet City because:
1: It probably won't win anyway so I figured a pity vote wouldn't hurt to at least give it some support.
2: Out of the two songs I'm probably more likely to go back and listen to that one on its own.

I'm certain on Sabaton, One and Fade To Black winning, but other than that, I really need to relisten.

It's really annoying that my favourite metal song of all time is drawn against the winner of the Bruce survivor on an Iron Maiden forum. Don't get me wrong, Darkside is a great song, but only songs like The Sentinel, Aces High, Travel In Stygian and Paschendale come close to One's perfection.

Also, War Pigs is a flawed song. Other than the last minute with the amazing riff, it's not that great. Ozzy's vocals are actually kind of grating at times, and the ending just comes out of nowhere and is unsatisfactory.

Also, War Pigs is a flawed song. Other than the last minute with the amazing riff, it's not that great. Ozzy's vocals are actually kind of grating at times, and the ending just comes out of nowhere and is unsatisfactory.

So...you're saying that you're with us? God is with us. And we're all together.

Reactions: RTC
Gott Mit Uns was the only song I wasn't familiar with in this round and holy hell it's horrible.

It's not difficult to imagine this guy singing the lyrics during the couplets (a typically annoying melody that fits such a voice):
300px-Swedish-chef.jpg

It's fun in the Muppet Show, but sounds dumb in a metal song.

It's like comparing the movie Face-Off with Gladiator. Gladiator is by no means a bad movie, but it does have flaws that hold it back. Face-Off is incredibly silly, but still very much enjoyable, and probably more so than Gladiator.

Done some re-listening:

I don't think Heaven And Hell is a masterpiece like some people do here, but it's still an incredibly good song. QOTR is damn good too, just not quite good enough.

Master Of Puppets is overrated. It's actually worse than a fair few songs on the album itself (Battery, Welcome Home, Disposable Heroes) and easily the worst title track of the 80's (only because RTL and AJFA are outstanding though). That said, Jet City Woman isn't amazing either; Queensryche has done better stuff than this before. I'm probably not going to vote on this one.

Genesis and DT are lengthy listens, so I'll do them later.

1/ Heaven and Hell, by a whisker. I'd be sad to see QOTR go, but had to make a choice.
2/ Master of Puppets, although I have to admit I've never been grabbed by either of these.
3/ Aquarius - easily one of my favourite Bruce moments.
4/ Learning to Live. Not been listening to DT very long and they're still growing on me.
5/ Fade to Black. Day in the Life is a very strong one from the Beatles, but a world away from Metallica.
6/ Gott Mit Uns. It may not be high art, but it's lively, concise and earwormy...in direct contrast to War Pigs, come to think of it, which is sprawling.

Just to point out, I enjoy a silly/fun song quite often, I probably am the most frequent listener of pop and hiphop on the forum with that reason being a huge factor. Gott Mit Uns simply offers nothing at all for me. I despise fun sounding metal, anthem-like metal, metal with symphonic elements and power metal-ish vocals. This one has it all.

Back